Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinions needed on this SC$ from the experts...

OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 31, 2020 7:58AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Errors on SD$ issues are rare. This one is, in my opinion, struck through an object (wire?) on the reverse just above the serial number. Being very desirable (low serial number), does this increase the value?

Cheers

Bob

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2020 8:28AM

Being struck through will not increase the value as that looks like a very minor struck through (if it is one) and it looks distracting.

I do think the first off-set number would increase its value for someone looking for errors. That is what makes this So-Called Dollar a great error!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful SCD Bob... not sure if that is a struck through or a hit... But I agree with @Zoins about the offset number. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm no expert but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn. So the errant digit is the bottom of an eight? The strike thru is cool. Is that dot also a strike thru? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Zoins
    @ricko
    @Namvet69

So, is the consensus that it's a partial errant digit to the upper left? I had thought of that, but struck-through seemed more logical.

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like the bottom of the 6 (might even be a 'bounce strike').

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

I put another vote in with the errant digit camp.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regardless of what it is I doubt if it would merit any premium. The market is too thin.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

If consecutively numbered that leaves 899 other three digit examples -- are there 100 much less 899 others that care about a three digit #? How many collectors that have four and five digit examples would spend extra $$$ just to obtain a similarly graded three digit?

In the words of Sonorandesertrat, "no".

• Options

@tokenpro said:
    If consecutively numbered that leaves 899 other three digit examples -- are there 100 much less 899 others that care about a three digit #? How many collectors that have four and five digit examples would spend extra $$$ just to obtain a similarly graded three digit?

In the words of Sonorandesertrat, "no".

In all actuality, there are many collectors of this particular issue that will pay a premium to get a lower digit example. I, for one am one of them. This is my lowest numbered example.

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still nice.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file