Home U.S. Coin Forum

TPG Population Reports

PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭
edited May 31, 2020 5:35AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Are there any old PCGS / ANACS / NGC Population Report / Census issues that are particularly useful to those who study slabs and related topics? I suppose the quantity differences between consecutive issues would provide some interesting information.

Comments

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good question.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you can pick your coin/series and go into the registry on NGC and see what you need...same with PCGS. Then with ANACS you used to be able to login to their site and view the data there as well. That's what I did in 2012 when I did a Key/Semi-Key Date Analysis of Mercury Dimes etc.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2020 2:24AM

PCGS Coin Facts shows population numbers in addition to a lot of other good information. Over the years many coins have been resubmitted many times in the hopes of getting a better result and many coins have been crossed back and forth from other grading services so the population numbers are very inaccurate but they do give you an idea of the relative rarity of specific coins within that series. The grading services will correct their population numbers when the labels from crack outs are returned but I'm guessing that most labels are just tossed in the trash can.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the Pcgs market report look at total graded for an issue. Of course I realize re submissions may have inflated it. I may compare issues or just look for issues below a certain number like 1000. This is to estimate how many of this issue available (PCGS) to fill the hole whether G04 or MS66.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PreTurb said:
    Are there any old PCGS / ANACS / NGC Population Report / Census issues that are particularly useful to those who study slabs and related topics? I suppose the quantity differences between consecutive issues would provide some interesting information.

there are a few threads here in the archives for such a thing but they are not comprehensive, just for about half a dozen different types or less.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file