Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any wooden nickel fans or dealers out there...

jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

I should probably put this on the BST. Or not?

I have a GIGANTIC collection of wooden nickels. Does anyone know of a dealer who handles them?

Comments

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know but would be interested in an answer, as I have a large accumulation from about 40 years ago which I am no longer attached to.

• Options

@MasonG said:
    I don't know but would be interested in an answer, as I have a large accumulation from about 40 years ago which I am no longer attached to.

It's kind of funny. I googled "Wooden Nickel Dealer" just to see what came up. A store come up which said "closed permanently". LOL. I don't know if that was an omen, but...

I may have to go into the wooden nickel business myself. But it isn't my first option as I'm tripping over 8 or 9 giant boxes of wooden nickels.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,836 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never met one, to this day. Nice to meet you.

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Never met one, to this day. Nice to meet you.

I sort of met two...and this accumulation is the combination of those two dealer stocks. LOL.

Norm Boughton used to call himself the King of Wooden Nickels. His son Wade had his own giant accumulation, bigger than his father's and used to needle his father that Norm couldn't be the King of the Wooden Nickels because Wade had more. LOL. Now they are all part of one giant stock.

I may soon be the New King of Wooden Nickels! ;)

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found this site. Not sure if it's current, but I recognize some of the officers as being active regionally and nationally in the ANA. Might be a place to start.

http://woodenmoney.org

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

@Oldhoopster said:
    Found this site. Not sure if it's current, but I recognize some of the officers as being active regionally and nationally in the ANA. Might be a place to start.

http://woodenmoney.org

Thanks. Yes, there are a couple clubs that I need to reach out to.

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Boughtons were as close as anyone was to "trying to make a market" in wooden money, mainly wooden flats. Even though there is an eBay category for wood items it has a lot of listings but few significant sales. The last serious catalog effort that I know of is "Guide Book Of Wooden Money" by Thomas Hudson (previously Emil Di Bella) -- I have the 6th (last?) edition from 1966, no doubt there is a copy along with the wood (the catalog covers only wood flats and is actually well done for the time period). In the little bit that I follow the topic it seems that the Tenino, WA and other early West Coast wood from the 1930's bring most of the better prices.

I bought a multi-volume set of binders at a Heritage floor sale (Sam Foose slider-shamed me into buying the lot) years back that I haven't touched as yet. It contains uncut sheets of flats, original issuing documents with town sets, sample sets, a set of flats that is from FDR's stamp collection, etc. all from the '30's. I haven't found a buyer as yet so I may break it up when I get to it. The majority of the collectors seem to be in it due to the minimal expense -- good luck with your hoard, the field of wood needs a new benevolent monarch.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2020 9:02AM

You could always wait until the weather turns cold and sell them by the cord... B)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was told from a very young age..."Do not take any wooden nickels."... So I never did.... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a reference book for wooden nickels?

• Options

@Zoins said:
    Is there a reference book for wooden nickels?

Yes, but it's not exhaustive.

• Options

@tokenpro said:
    The Boughtons were as close as anyone was to "trying to make a market" in wooden money, mainly wooden flats. Even though there is an eBay category for wood items it has a lot of listings but few significant sales. The last serious catalog effort that I know of is "Guide Book Of Wooden Money" by Thomas Hudson (previously Emil Di Bella) -- I have the 6th (last?) edition from 1966, no doubt there is a copy along with the wood (the catalog covers only wood flats and is actually well done for the time period). In the little bit that I follow the topic it seems that the Tenino, WA and other early West Coast wood from the 1930's bring most of the better prices.

I bought a multi-volume set of binders at a Heritage floor sale (Sam Foose slider-shamed me into buying the lot) years back that I haven't touched as yet. It contains uncut sheets of flats, original issuing documents with town sets, sample sets, a set of flats that is from FDR's stamp collection, etc. all from the '30's. I haven't found a buyer as yet so I may break it up when I get to it. The majority of the collectors seem to be in it due to the minimal expense -- good luck with your hoard, the field of wood needs a new benevolent monarch.

Nice, concise summary.

Yes, the flats tend to be the more desirable items. Probably because of the book.

I may run a few just to see if there's any interest. I need to get it sorted out for the estate. His wife offered to just give them to me, but they do have value and I want to make sure she gets the most money possible.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file