Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can someone help me figure out this Kennedy Half error?

seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 29, 2020 12:13PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was going back through a box of left-overs from some bulk purchases and came across this 1971 Kennedy Half. First I thought it was PMD, then I thought maybe it was a tapered planchet, but now I'm just confused.

The thing that is throwing me is he weight is 11.3g, basically normal. The planchet is noticeably thinner where the design is missing, enough that I would expect the weight to be less than standard if it was simply tapered or the material was removed post-strike.

I also considered this could have a tilted obverse die, but in that case I would expect the unstruck area to be thicker, not thinner, than the struck area. The reeding is also complete, which I would not expect from a tilted die.

Welcome to any explanations of what happened here.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Comments

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sean, it certainly appears to be damaged from what I can see – can you place it on another half dollar, because it looks a bit out of round-Dash the “flattened” side looks larger than it should at least from the photo

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not an expert on error coinage in any manner, but the obverse from Kennedy's cheekbone and back appears squashed like something was placed against it with force. Perhaps it was an intentional PMD act or maybe something just happened to it, but it looks to me like PMD.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    edited May 29, 2020 12:30PM

@FredWeinberg said:
    Sean, it certainly appears to be damaged from what I can see – can you place it on another half dollar, because it looks a bit out of round-Dash the “flattened” side looks larger than it should at least from the photo

Good eye, Fred. I measured a 1973 half with a set of calipers (benefit of working from home), twice 90° apart, in each direction it was 30.5mm. The 1971 measured 30.8mm and 31.2mm, so I think you are correct that it was compressed outside the Mint.

I feel silly for not noticing, thanks for setting me straight.

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD it just looks wrong.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

What Fred said.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is some serious compression pressure.... Wow...Not sure how it was done, but certainly PMD. Cheers, RickO

• Options

It's a little humbling to be sure, I regularly chime in on posts by others who confuse PMD for an error, and here I am missing the boat on my own coin. I guess it's true what they say about ownership clouding one's opinion.

Sean REynoldse

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2020 3:13AM

What @FredWeinberg and @ErrorsOnCoins said.

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weird. Is the reeding deformed?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file