Home PSA Set Registry Forum

classless collectors

Anyone else this happens too??...you open up a particular set and then some rich sob
adds 100% of PSA 9's or higher to claim the top place around award time? Not mentioning names...
but this has happened like 4 times to me by the same collector.It seems someone needs to be #1 in all sets...lol .

Comments

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

I collect for fun

In my sets there are some top PSA HOF collectors who have the highest grades so I know I'll never be #1
    ever. I am happy with that.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭✭

@Scooter261830 said:
    Anyone else this happens too??...you open up a particular set and then some rich sob
    adds 100% of PSA 9's or higher to claim the top place around award time? Not mentioning names...
    but this has happened like 4 times to me by the same collector.It seems someone needs to be #1 in all sets...lol .

You would be wise to be very cautious about how you characterize other collectors. If you don't believe me, just keep writing with your current attitude and see how long you last. FAIR WARNING. The Moderator has a very low level of tolerance for nonsense and can/will make you disappear permanently.

BTW, there will always be someone, somewhere that has better sets than you, more money perhaps and post better graded sets than you.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Scooter261830 said:

Yes, this happened to me. I wouldn't call it "classless" though.

If I had the funds to just buy up every top graded card, I would be #1.

NOBODY wants to be #2.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭✭

I have two 100% Master Sets, both #1 and always will be...yeah, I know I'll get the awards, but, no big deal to me. I collect for fun, as stated above, the chase and challenge, not to see my name on a very, very long list of other award winners.

This isn't about the little sticker stars you'd get from your teacher in your little piano book as kids, after you plunked along playing Silent Night, it's about how well you play the piece. However, if those little sticker stars are more important, you are in the wrong game.

• " I collect for fun, as stated above, the chase and challenge"
    There is no challenge if one has all the top cards now is there? Critism is accepted in any sport as long as its clean.
    Its all good though....I just deleted my set so he can be #1 by himself :) Furthermore...I was able to return a very expensive card I just bought on ebay...so I guess things are meant to happen in life! Happy collecting all.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 27,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@Scooter261830 said:
    " I collect for fun, as stated above, the chase and challenge"
    There is no challenge if one has all the top cards now is there? Critism is accepted in any sport as long as its clean.
    Its all good though....I just deleted my set so he can be #1 by himself :) Furthermore...I was able to return a very expensive card I just bought on ebay...so I guess things are meant to happen in life! Happy collecting all.

So you weren’t collecting the set because you loved the cards, you were collecting to be #1.... and then when you couldn’t win you took your ball and went home?

Not to mention the eBay seller shouldn’t have to accept your return on that basis. Returns should be for defective items or items not as described.

100% this.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been on the registry For 7 years “competing” against someone whose family is worth $6 billion. It’s a good thing I’m not in it to be #1!

• Scooter261830Scooter261830 Posts: 55
    edited May 18, 2020 8:39PM

@DBesse27 said: So you weren’t collecting the set because you loved the cards, you were collecting to be #1.... and then when you couldn’t win you took your ball and went home?

No I've been collecting for quite a few years...so I love the cards i collected/bought.

@DBesse27 said: Not to mention the eBay seller shouldn’t have to accept your return on that basis. Returns should be for defective items or items not as described.

on ebay...there is a ( I changed my mind)and (You found a better price) on the return policy so I decided to use one.

• @jay0791 said:
    I collect for fun

In my sets there are some top PSA HOF collectors who have the highest grades so I know I'll never be #1
    ever. I am happy with that.

I agree with you jay...It's not about the so called ranks.It's about the love of the collection...which I love my collection.
    The timing was just kind of annoying is all .I have learned a valuable lesson though...never create a set! :)

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2020 10:21PM

I collect Joe Louis boxing cards, and the number one guy is pretty much untouchable in the world of boxing cards. I decided years ago to just collect Joe Louis cards for my love of Joe Louis and not worry about claiming the number 1 spot. It works out well for me and I love my Joe Louis collection. I've given the cards their own room. I say goodnight to them every night. I'm having lunch with the cards later today!

Hello, I'm a Joe Louis card addict.

• augustamanaugustaman Posts: 570 ✭✭

Collecting should be like golf .................
    Set your own "personal goals" and strive to achieve them. You can't control the other players' scores.

Bill
    [email protected]
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards

From what I have read, you are the classless one here.

Returning a card because you can't be #1 as well as deleting your set for the same reason. I am sure the seller of that card appreciates your childishness.

NOT classy.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • @JoeBanzai said:
    Returning a card because you can't be #1 as well as deleting your set for the same reason. I am sure the seller of that card appreciates your childishness

The whole purpose of this thread had nothing to do with me being #1 but everything to do about the casual collector...
    I deleted my set out of inconsideration and bullying.If a 10 year old had created a set that hadn't been in existence for 39 years..and then a 30+ individual inserts all high cards.We'd all be all over him right?.ohhh wait...you'd all be telling the 10 yr old to grow up and stop being a baby.The fact is...we'd be all belittling this guy.This could've happened to any one of you posting here and I'd have had the same mentality.Until PSA adds some sort of tweek in registering high graded cards in sets (like a time frame)..I'm afraid this will always happen.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Scooter261830 said:
    @JoeBanzai said:
    Returning a card because you can't be #1 as well as deleting your set for the same reason. I am sure the seller of that card appreciates your childishness

The whole purpose of this thread had nothing to do with me being #1 but everything to do about the casual collector...
    I deleted my set out of inconsideration and bullying.If a 10 year old had created a set that hadn't been in existence for 39 years..and then a 30+ individual inserts all high cards.We'd all be all over him right?.ohhh wait...you'd all be telling the 10 yr old to grow up and stop being a baby.The fact is...we'd be all belittling this guy.This could've happened to any one of you posting here and I'd have had the same mentality.Until PSA adds some sort of tweek in registering high graded cards in sets (like a time frame)..I'm afraid this will always happen.

“Bullying”? Really?? You can frame this however you want, but nobody is going to feel sympathy for you just because somebody else has better cards. It happens, and has happened to most of us, but I don’t remember anybody else resorting to public name calling. And I don’t think a rule saying a collector can’t register his best cards during a moratorium period is any type of solution.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting: 1964 Venezuelan Topps, Patriots team HOFers, Andre Tippett, 1968 Venz Red Sox, 1974 Topps Sox

• @DBesse27 said:
    “Bullying”? Really?? You can frame this however you want, but nobody is going to feel sympathy for you just because somebody else has better cards. It happens, and has happened to most of us, but I don’t remember anybody else resorting to public name calling. And I don’t think a rule saying a collector can’t register his best cards during a moratorium period is any type of solution."

I corrected myself and said it was about the casual collector..not about me.I even used 10 yr olds as an example..but yet you still bring it back to "me" lol.Tell me this...if it was a 10 yr old posting this thread...would you tell him to stop being a baby?
    If so...we have a bigger problem here

"And I don’t think a rule saying a collector can’t register his best cards during a moratorium period is any type of solution"

I see you used the word "solution". That tells me somewhere in the back of your mind...you kind of understand...ty

I would explain the realities of life to the 10 year old so that hopefully he becomes a well adjusted adult who doesn’t throw tantrums. I would tell him that there will always be somebody who has more/better stuff than you. And there will always be somebody who has less.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting: 1964 Venezuelan Topps, Patriots team HOFers, Andre Tippett, 1968 Venz Red Sox, 1974 Topps Sox

• You forgot the most important thing...Teach him to be kind to the less fortunate :)

@Scooter261830 said:
    @JoeBanzai said:

That was an idiotic post. You were not treated badly.

You are simply a sore loser.

You posted your complaint and no one here thinks there was anything wrong with the collector who continuously has better cards than you. I suppose he should just let you win once in a while. That doesn't happen in the real world.

• @JoeBanzai said:

That was an idiotic post. You were not treated badly.
    You are simply a sore loser.
    You posted your complaint and no one here thinks there was anything wrong with the collector who continuously has better cards than you. I suppose he should just let you win once in a while. That doesn't happen in the real world.

I love how not one of you have the nerve to read between the lines.....shows how bad our world has gotten.
    I have been a registry member for several years...and the fact that it has happened 2 or 3 other times just to me and most likely 100's of times to others, shows I'm am far from a sore loser seeing I posted one time.I bring a problem up in our collecting world and you all do what people do best in todays world....brush it under the rug.If this isn't a form of bullying...then why aren't these sets created by the indivduals who have the 9's and 10's already for all these years? Simple..they wait until they are created and then plug them in all at once in crunch time to flex their muscles.I know of several key sets that are not created yet.....and I for one will never create them.
    I'll start thinking like all of you from now on.....More power to them!!!!!!!

You sir are the problem. That's what comes out of reading your ridiculous rants.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel much better after using "Ignore" for the second time ever on this site.

• @LarkinCollector said:
    I feel much better after using "Ignore" for the second time ever on this site.

good for you!!!!! less garbage I have to read :)

• @galaxy27 said:
    i personally found mr. surreptitious' move to be nothing short of brilliant. it's as if he knew the guy he sucked up in the waning moments would resort to juvenile kvetching on a public message board for countless eyes to see.

The sad thing is...I didn't even have to be a collector to see how low this move was.I'm just glad i witnessed this 1st hand to see what kind of individual we have in the collecting world....sadly to say there are many more..but it's cool.
    I have also learned to avoid dealing with a number of members here due to temperment issues.So all was not lost :)

Low move for one to collect the cards they like in the best grades they can afford. And then to use the registry?? Totally low.

Yaz Master Set

• low move for one to collect cards they like in the best grades they can afford.And then wait years,maybe decades,who knows ,until the set is created and then use the registry to publish 10 days before awards? I would have to say....totally low is an understatement.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 27,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scooter's been schooled.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • how so???

@grote15 said:
    Scooter's been schooled.

Schooled, but not educated.

• @JoeBanzai said:
    Schooled, but not educated.

Just remember...I always get the last laugh....but keep talking :)

I don’t want to argue any further, but let me suggest something you might not have thought of. I know many collectors who love to participate in the registry, but don’t have the interest in requesting new sets and a few of them don’t even know how. Perhaps this is a guy who will participate in any established sets that he can, but doesn’t request them himself. Just a thought.

Yaz Master Set

Being in a similar situation, having another collector buy up high grade cards to knock me out of first place, I related to your frustration.

My set has some truly hard to find cards, and is more complete than my competitors, but because PSA 10's (even if relatively easy to find) are valued so high in the registry, my set sits at #2.

However calling the other guy "classless" and then later a "bully" makes no sense to me at all. I had been collecting ungraded Killebrew cards in high grade for years, many not part of the master set, so when I got them graded and added them to become #1 was I being a "bully"?

The registry is both a great way to collect and also a competition. It's OBVIOUS that you take it WAY to seriously.

Most registry collector's goal is to have the top rated set. Your guy did NOTHING AT ALL wrong. He acquired the cards he needed to beat you and cleverly added them close to the deadline. Your reaction is to delete your set, return a perfectly good card to a seller and then come here to cry about it. NO ONE here agrees with you, and surprise, you can't accept the fact you are in the wrong.

You really look like a spoiled immature child. Put your big boy pants on wipe away your tears, blow your nose and STOP WHINING!

Rant on, I am done trying to help you. I don't think it can be done.

Have a great day and TRY to have fun collecting.

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2020 8:54AM

OP: With all that is going on in the world this is what sets you off?

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭✭

this looks like more fun than the mask thread on the main forum :D

"I'm just here for the Dr. Pepper, Popcorn and PSA Graded Cards"

• I'd like to apologize for the starting of this thread.I jumped to conclusions..as I tend to do without doing my homework.
    There are 35 company sets of this year in question and all one would have to do is take each team out to make the highest team set. I guess that's why no one creates certain sets due to this easy task of filling them in.I truly am a nice guy in real life even though it's hard to tell by here..I've always said it takes a big man to say he was wrong...so here goes....I was COMPLETELY wrong.Hopefully all of you will accept this heartfelt apology and we can move on from here.I have turned the page.

Wow! Good for you in realizing your mistake.