Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

My Walking Liberty Half Short Sets - Update 2-11-21 Even Newer Images!

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 11, 2021 9:41AM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

Well, after studying the Mark Goodman "Numismatic Photography" book, getting input from the US Coin forum, and a lot of trial and error with camera and lighting setups and editing software, I am at a point where the quality of my photos (in my opinion) is worthy of inclusion in my registry sets. So far I have done this for my Walking Liberty Short sets (40 coin and 20 coin), sets which I assembled over the years mainly from diligently hunting raw coins and having them graded.

I am now at a point where I would like to upgrade the remaining coins below Gem (MS65), and will have to break down and purchase them already graded. Fortunately, since I started this endeavor about 10 years ago, the Gem Walker market has declined a lot, so my acquisition cost will be less.

So take a look if you like, and let me know what you think of the photos and if you have any suggestions. I like not having to send my coins to the West Coast to get good photos! B)

Update 2-11-21: Newer, Improved Images!

Late Date Set - 40 Coin

Short Set - 20 Coin

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very consistent and uniform. Crisp. Excellent work!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, great coins and great images!

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!!! Your camera work is excellent...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful set of Walkers and great photo's.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins! You might consider uploading larger versions of the photos.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

Each coin is 700x700 pixels, so the composite is 724x1448 pixels. When you click on the image in the set listing, it gets reduced for some unknown reason, with no grade in the caption. However, If you click on the "image gallery" for the set, then click on one of the photos, you will see the full size. From there you can scroll through the photos (in full size, with the coin date and grade in the caption) by clicking the left or right arrows on the side.

• Options
    edited June 8, 2020 7:39PM

So, I have two new upgrades - both the 42-D and 43-S upgraded from MS65 to MS66, made coins from raw purchases (yes, they are still out there!). Plus, I realized that my images were off a tad on the white balance, and I improved the lighting to better illuminate the coins. Let me know what you think! B)

>>>Late Date Set - 40 Coin<<<

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice job with the photos! Your coins have good eye-appeal.

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

You obviously have a great eye for picking raw Walkers!

Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2020 8:00AM

@CoinJunkie said:

I've noticed that PCGS's TrueView will show up full size, but any photos taken by anyone else will be reduced. Even if you uploaded a larger photo it will always show up smaller than the TrueView. I wish PCGS would fix this.

@Connecticoin A marvelous job with your photos.

• Options
    edited June 16, 2020 9:25AM

@robec said:

@CoinJunkie said:

I've noticed that PCGS's TrueView will show up full size, but any photos taken by anyone else will be reduced. Even if you uploaded a larger photo it will always show up smaller than the TrueView. I wish PCGS would fix this.

@Connecticoin A marvelous job with your photos.

Thanks, coming from you that's a high complement B)

Yeah, per my post above, non-TV photos get reduced when you browse by clicking the image on the set. However, if you click on the "Set Image Gallery" link at the top of the set, then click on any photo, you can then browse the full size photos by clicking the arrows on either side. Full size of my composites are 724x1448 pixels.

• Options

Super great work @Connecticoin! The crisp, clean photography of your coins is remarkable! I took time to view them all on your Set Image Gallery to see the larger images and their detail, and gained a greater appreciation for your craft! You've got me looking at Walking Liberty coins in a new light! Think I'll start focusing more on collecting some. Not bad!

• Options
    edited February 11, 2021 9:48AM

Update 2-11-21: More upgrades - the 43-D upgraded from MS65 to MS66, 37-D upgraded from MS64 to MS65.

Images re-taken and improved again - I realized that the images were too dark and the luster was muted, so I adjusted the exposure compensation accordingly (and adjusted white balance again), and adjusted the angle of the lighting to show the luster better. Now I think the images are pretty close to TrueView quality.

Again, let me know what you think! B)

>>>Late Date Set - 40 Coin<<<

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a great looking late date set, and obviously short set as well.

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic Set! Love Walkers soooo much, and you have some real beauties in there. Great photos...All around !

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very nice set, and excellent photography!

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2021 5:55PM

• Options

I love this series. Nice, matching higher grade set! @Connecticoin Are you working on the early dates as well?

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, great looking set! All the coins really look fantastic, but that 1943p jumped off the screen and hit me in the face with luster! Nice work on these!

• Options

@ThreeCentSilverFL said:
    I love this series. Nice, matching higher grade set! @Connecticoin Are you working on the early dates as well?

Not currently. I am working on a toned set, of which this is the crown jewel so far (PCGS MS67):

• Options

@Connecticoin said:

@ThreeCentSilverFL said:

Not currently. I am working on a toned set, of which this is the crown jewel so far (PCGS MS67):

That's a pleasing '40 B)