Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Perú 200 N Soles 2009, P.186 delivered to PCGS 04/20/2020, not yet received.

migueldelriomigueldelrio Posts: 27
edited May 8, 2020 12:18PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

Sent this submission to PCGS:

The packaging itself was very secure.

Note that insurance precludes me from addressing the submission directly to PCGS by name and from using phrases like "BANKNOTE SUBMISSION" on the package. The submission will be shared when it's "received."

I have three submissions with PCGS order numbers that are likewise addressed, all received within 3 business days of delivery, from April 20th through April 29th. A fourth was delivered this Monday, addressed to Luis M Vilchis.

This begs the question, "When has a submission gone missing?"

Attentively,

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 7,126 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea. I am a bit confused, though.

Why have two different names been used on various packages (Vilchis/Gonzales)? With so many packages in a short time why not combine them and send in one registered package? That would also save multiple invoice fees.

You must have your reasons, but in any case, your package was "delivered" by the USPS, but I am not sure there is any way to know to whom with Priority Mail like that.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

:'( !!!

Timbuk3
  • Hi JBK, ShipAndInsure suggests addressing the package to an organization member, not to the organization itself. In the absence of sensible instruction from PCGS, the members of the organization chosen are those who signed last for the packages.

Interesting....

Well, you followed their rules so they are on the hook if the package does not show up at PCGS. But, I assume you'd much rather have the babknote...

• migueldelriomigueldelrio Posts: 27
    edited May 7, 2020 10:40AM

Yes, all the packages have been confirmed by PCGS as having been delivered to the PCGS facility using the Find My Package tool. It's the "receiving" of the packages that assigns order numbers to the submission that poses the question as to when is a submission lost. It's understandable that I would rather ask the question too soon rather than too late!

I assume (hope) it is just delayed due to confusion caused by the virus.

Next question...why is that note so special? Especially being such a recent issue.

I know that because you want to have it graded it is obviously valuable, but is it rare, etc.? I am not familiar with Peru notes.

• migueldelriomigueldelrio Posts: 27
    edited May 7, 2020 4:11PM

The note has something for everyone. The Caral-Supe civilization depicted on the reverse is the earliest known in all the Americas. At 200 N Soles, the note has twice the monetary value than the much more common 100 Sol notes. I attribute the condition of the note to the care of the seller.

• Kathleen from Collectors Universe said she had the submission in PCGS possession last Thursday May 7th.

The submission number 2044601 is still not received, however.

I've asked that the submission be returned to me.

edited May 19, 2020 10:04AM

I'm confused. The banknote in question is still missing? (That would be bad news).

But they did receive another submission and you want that one returned? Ungraded?

• I wouldn't have expected a PCGS submission to go missing.

If that is the case, I suspect Kathleen of Collectors Universe has been running interference.

The submission that PCGS has "received" is 3826455, a made-up number, and PCGS created order 21810212 for my submission on May 7th, the day after I posted this discussion. The details of this phony submission are incomplete, as though PCGS does not have the faintest idea of the delivered package contents.

See https://pcgs.com/shared-orders/order-details/21810212

Followup emails to Kathleen concerning customer service request 46605 for this subject have gone unanswered.

Unfortunately, the only way to know for certain is to ask that the submission be returned to me so that I can have it graded elsewhere.

These banknotes are hoarded in Peru, and do not circulate as a result, increasing their value.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2020 4:57AM

Everything @JBK said.

• Thanks for your kind words.

I'm cycling through various stages of grief right now.

• Returned submission delivered!

So, it did get there. and they returned it ungraded at your request.

A happy ending? :#

• PCGS making website changes to show that banknote grading is other than a fly-by-night operation is a start. The ability to lookup PCGS#s independent of their banknote certification# in a relational (non-networked) flat file would help. It would be nice to not have to lookup pick numbers of existing PCGS graded banknotes on the PMG site. The explanation that another company ran the concession is just an excuse that underscores poor planning. Jokes about shiny metal discs are sooo funny (not).