Home U.S. Coin Forum

Grading coins and currency questions

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose the first question should be.. Do you collection coins as well as currency?

If so, which do you find easier to grade? And feel free to elaborate as to your answer

So if you collection both coins and currency, would you like to see Collectors Universe offer a Deluxe membership that would include submission services to both grading services?

Just to start the discussion, I collect both. I feel good about grading coins and submitting them. I see currency as the greater grading challenge for several reasons including but not limited to the quality of paper, the varying level of apparent circulation of a note that does not appear to consistent at grades. Sometimes I see notes graded at 30 and do not understand why they are not higher. And the same can be said at other grade levels moving in both directions.

So the questions are motivated in part as to whether other collectors have mastered grading one over the other but enjoy collecting both. And that leads to the more comprehensive question as to whether collectors here would have an interest in an expanded membership that would be inclusive of both services.

Seems worthy to at least ask....

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on my current understanding, a Collectors Club membership does allow submissions to the newly launched PCGS Banknote as well as coins.

I do collect both and it depends on which series of coins as to whether I find currency harder to grade. Currency grading doesn't come down strictly to wear. Folds play a big part and they can be hard to spot sometimes.

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect both, mostly coins, and I find currency harder to grade.
    That said, I've spent a lot more time on coin grading than currency grading.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not collect currency...Just coins. That being said, when I used to attend shows out west, I did spend time at currency tables, admiring the artwork on the old bills....Loved the Indian and Buffalo five dollar bills...and others as well. Cheers, RickO

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do both coins and currency. Submit coins to PCGS.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to read that the membership now extends to currency... That seems to be a recent development

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins are much easier to grade than paper.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file