Home Precious Metals
Options

Rhodium is $̶1̶0̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶$̶2̶5̶0̶0̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶$̶2̶0̶0̶0̶0̶ $4500 an Oz - Buy, Sell, or Hold?

2»

Comments

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stock in Pt/Pd and Rh miners are doing well also.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having success in NILSY. worlds #1 supplier of Pd. Also provides 10%+ Worlds supply of Rhodium.
    Do you due diligence. Luck all!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

i previously was unable to find any info on how much Rh is used in a gasoline ICE vehicle's catalyst. I had guessed <1g. Just read an article that suggested around 0.3g with possibility of closer to 0.45g as Chinese OEMs look to get greener. So at today's price ~$13.5K/oz (gulp), there is still less than $200 worth of Rh in a vehicle's catalyst. So Rh prices may in fact make sense at these levels with 60/30/10 ratio of Pt/Pd/Rh mined. Deserving of the additional premium because of Rh's superior NOx scrubbing properties?

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

One rhodium ounce coin or one bitcoin ?

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

It's all about what the people want...

• Options

Looks like all the metals are up today including rhodium.

Bid 11,000 ask 13,000 on kitco

Certainly a wild ride from 2k -> 13k ->2k and back again.

Anybody bought the dip? Premiums were still running high.

I am holding a few select pieces

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2020 2:11PM

@LukeMarshall said:

Certainly a wild ride from 2k -> 13k ->2k and back again.

Anybody bought the dip? Premiums were still running high.

I would like to have bought the dip but the ask never touched $2k. it was $5k with a $3k spread. then you have to find someone who would even unload at $5k. I only saw grams on the bay and the only alternative the kitco pool at a $5k buy in.

currently, the pool is at $11 x $13

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

My advise would be if you could actually find someone that would be willing to buy your rhodium sell it now and don't look back. Good luck and from my experiences you will need plenty.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't even imagine buying Rhodium at these levels! :s

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why buy rhodium when you could buy gold or silver? o:)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

How's Rh doing? I haven't checked, on it in a while

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

$13,700 on kitco

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

I think I'll try to trade an oz for 7-1oz AGEs this weekend.

• Options

Trade completed. Picked up 7-1oz Au Philharmonics plus 2-4oz silver $100 bills (though they aren't particularly attractive, a big stack of them wouldn't topple easily, lol).

Buying additional Rh, at seemingly elevated prices is something I thought I would never do, but I will admit to recently picking up a fraction of an ounce at what i thought were attractive prices. At the even higher prices likely over the next 5 years, the fractional bars will be nice to have.

• Options

Hypothetical question... If you had a one ounce bar of rhodium would you consider trading it even up for a monster box of ASEs?

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RobM said:
    Hypothetical question... If you had a one ounce bar of rhodium would you consider trading it even up for a monster box of ASEs?

@RobM said:

Heck ya! One is much more liquid than the other.

thefinn
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2021 6:58PM

@RobM said:

For me that would depend on if you already have a quantity of silver and if that was your last 1oz of rhodium.

I like diversity so if I already had 500oz of silver I probably wouldn’t trade my last bar of rhodium for it. (Assuming the prices are what and what)

Seems like 20k may be in short order, rhodium up another $500 today to 15,500 / 17,500 !

Spelling

• Options

Johnson Matthey listed price for Rh sponge just hit $20K! I think someone here predicted that back in March of last year. Should fetch around $17K/oz in bullion form if selling back. I wouldn't be surprised to see $30-50k peak in next 2 or 3 years. Supply is tight, and I'm not sure whether Baird or Pamp are currently manufacturing bars. Never bad to take profits, but even better to have some metal long after getting back your initial investment. I was thinking about moving into Iridium an possibly ruthenium, but if you thought the rhodium spreads were big...

• Options

@RobM
    Amazing, I did see a $1000 price jump per Oz of rhodium today, kitco showing $17000 bid / $19000 ask.
    I looked into iridium and the price has doubled here recently on paper (the physical medals I saw were selling at multiples of spot however.)

@$20,000 rhodium would anyone rather pick up a 1/10th Oz vs. 1oz of gold?

• Options

@RobM
    Seems Johnson Matthey sell is a good indicator of price movement, yesterday rhodium moved up another $1000 to $20,000 ask on kitco.... and today another $500

Thirty to fifty thousand in the next couple years? We’ve already doubled since I started this thread a year ago...

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LukeMarshall said:
    @RobM
    Seems Johnson Matthey sell is a good indicator of price movement, yesterday rhodium moved up another $1000 to $20,000 ask on kitco.... and today another $500

Thirty to fifty thousand in the next couple years? We’ve already doubled since I started this thread a year ago...

I guess rhodium is the bitcoin of precious metals. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

$30-50K is possible. But its ultimate fate likely lies with the internal combustion engine. I recently walked through a Ram truck lot and there were dozens of $60-70K gasoline engine trucks. Americans are buying up big expensive suvs and trucks. Big vehicles, big engines, more exhaust, more rhodium. So at $30k/oz, if a light truck uses half a gram in Rh catalyst, that's $500. Long term, Rh will fall unless there are some new uses for it.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    I guess rhodium is the bitcoin of precious metals. :D

:blush:
    Not exactly. Rhodium is scarce and it has utility. Bitcoin is not scarce when considering nothing but current price and being first differentiates it from the thousands of other digital currencies. Bitcoin has almost no utility, at least in the legal realm.

From that perspective, at today's $21,500/oz price, investors should be lined up to get them some rhodium, lol.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want my rhodium Eagle.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

How liquid is rhodium? Has anyone here ever taken some rhodium to their local coin shop and tried to sell it because you needed some quick cash? If so, what was your experience?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    How liquid is rhodium? Has anyone here ever taken some rhodium to their local coin shop and tried to sell it because you needed some quick cash? If so, what was your experience?

More liquid than numismatic coins, but not nearly as liquid as gold bullion. Most shops that will buy Rh have larger bullion operations and an online retail presence. If your user name is any indication of where you live, then you have a shop within 40 miles that will readily buy Rh. There are at least 2 coin shops in US that even publish their buy prices on some common Rh bullion products. I've walked into my go-to store on multiple occasions and presented Rh and Pd, and either walk out with a check, or execute a trade into the lesser metals (Ag, Au, Pt). You could also sell back to a refiner, which is what the coin store will do these days if they don't have an interested buyer and don't want to hold something that can be volatile. Heck, it's not much easier to sell Pd bullion. Rh is so rare, so useful, so hard to substitute for, and in such short supply that there are more buyers for it than one might think.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

Probably about as liquid as a bitcoin. But one is still around if the electricity is working.

thefinn
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

19K for an ounce, $610.87 a gram... insane!

• Options

Updated thread to reflect new ATH of $25,000!!!

• Options

At the moment, all the Rh bullion for sale on eBay amounts to just over 1oz total! What do you PGM pros make of that?

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

@RobM said:
    At the moment, all the Rh bullion for sale on eBay amounts to just over 1oz total! What do you PGM pros make of that?

Not much Rh for sale on eBay right now!

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Now - two ounces of Rh equals one bitcoin.

• Options

Bump for Rhodium @ $20,000sh

Buy? Sell? Hold?

Thoughts for the rest of 2022? and moving forward?

Wanna share any rhodium you have? Post a Pic?