Home Metal Detecting

I purchased a New Metal Detector - First finds - beach junk

JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 28, 2020 4:29AM in Metal Detecting

I typically swing a Whites V3 on land and a Minelab Excalibur at the beach. In the last year or two my arm/shoulder has been getting sore, at times downright painful, after a few hours of detecting. As a result I started becoming hesitant to go detecting. I really enjoy the time I spend detecting, it's relaxing for me and a means of stress relief.
So after talking with some other well versed detectorists, along with additional research of my own, I decided to pick up one of the newer, lighter detectors that have come to the market in the past few years. After whittling down the options I decided upon the Minelab Equinox. I haven't assembled it yet, I am waiting on an after market carbon fiber upper and lower shaft to arrive first. Can't wait to try it out though.

edit for grammar

Comments

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

I've been using an Equinox 600 for almost two years. I got it in February 2018 and use it as a complement to my Etrac.

I wasn't impressed with the machine until I programmed the tone break and tones to my liking. I've since made some great finds with it on sites that I had previously hunted hard with my Etrac.

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bayard1908 said:
    I've been using an Equinox 600 for almost two years....

......I programmed the tone break and tones to my liking......

Bayard1908,

Would you care to share the settings that you're using that you feel have worked best for you?

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on a new, lighter machine @JohnnyCache , happy hunting :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

This saves wear and tear on the body :)@JohnnyCache

https://youtu.be/YH4s2xG1lx8

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

@1630Boston said:
    This saves wear and tear on the body :)@JohnnyCache

@1630Boston
    That robot would help but did you know that there is a new version that not only detects the target but it also digs it for you, yup it's true, only thing is.....I think this model could prove to be even harder on my body, possibly fatal at my age....but I am willing to give it a try.

New and Improved MD model

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

@JohnnyCache said:
    Bayard1908,

Would you care to share the settings that you're using that you feel have worked best for you?

I set up my 600 to sound like an Etrac, which is low tones for nickels and high tones on silver and copper. On my 600 I use two tones and set the tone break at 21 or 22 so that I can ignore zincolns. You could get the same result with the tone break set anywhere from 15 to 21 if your discrimination pattern ignores those numbers.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnnyCache....Now that is an interesting MD model...Then, at the end of a long day, you can enjoy a couple of drinks with your MD..... :D Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

best of luck with that :)

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I use the shoulder strap set up from an extra computer bag. Attach at the hand grip joint. Reduces the weight on my arm and I can release my grib, kneel and when I stand back up I'm swinging again. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

edited January 28, 2020 12:43PM

OK here we go, first hunt / first finds from a local beach.
    You can see the amount of sand in the roadway from the winter storm action thus far.
    I was hoping for some gold but all I got was rust and crust, as I still have to get used to the new Minelab detector going from the Whites V3, which I will still keep in my detector tool shed.

Fishing weight
    2 keys
    Decayed matchbox car adhered to rock
    Several nickels (which I'm happy about as they could have been gold rings)
    a couple of quarters, a dime or two and the rest are crusties

Happy Hunting!

I'm glad you got out to use your new machine.................keep us posted with future finds. :)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well no doubt the machine works... ;) Lots of finds there... have you checked in the surf yet?? Just off the beach, in the first sand dip, are often where good stuff accumulates. Cheers, RickO