Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

-(EDIT) 2 single scans added- Any keepers?

CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

I know little to nothing about cards. I did purchase a few boxes of them a while ago with my brother at a estate sale. Still have them obviously but also not sure if we should have got the rug 😆

Comments

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

There are some decent cards in there. Jordan 90s inserts are always popular, like the 15K Point Club and Locker Talk. I see a Reggie Miller Fleer RC. Decent Johnny U 72T. 93 Score Franchise Griffey Jr. Nothing there will be life changing, but those mentioned are the cards that caught my eye and possibly even a couple $ double digit cards.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check the Finest basketball for possibly being refractors.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:
    There are some decent cards in there. Jordan 90s inserts are always popular, like the 15K Point Club and Locker Talk. I see a Reggie Miller Fleer RC. Decent Johnny U 72T. 93 Score Franchise Griffey Jr. Nothing there will be life changing, but those mentioned are the cards that caught my eye and possibly even a couple $ double digit cards.

Thank you for the info. Is that potential value if sent in to a TPG service such as PSA? Or raw cards?

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

I will give a search of the term. But I remember hearing on the forum here they are hard to spot the difference? There is a whole set of TF in the lot

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRH4LIFE said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

I will give a search of the term. But I remember hearing on the forum here they are hard to spot the difference? There is a whole set of TF in the lot

Yes, somewhat difficult to determine ref. via photos. In hand easier. Take to a local shop if one is nearby. They may be able to assist you. Later ref. had the designation on the reverse of the card.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

@CRH4LIFE said:

@mrmopar said:

Thank you for the info. Is that potential value if sent in to a TPG service such as PSA? Or raw cards?

Those are just the better cards generally speaking that I saw. I suppose most cards see more value when graded though, especially if they are sharp enough to be near perfect grades.

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice cards for an estate sale find.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Absolutely do not think of grading. The only possible card worth it is the Reggie Miller if it is near perfect.
    There is a Barry Sanders RC but I is still not big $. You can spend more money on grading than the cards would be worth.

You seem to have a pile of cards that are near worthless. I do see some HOFers but the cards would be worth less than $2 each. I am trying to help not be a mean person here.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    Absolutely do not think of grading. The only possible card worth it is the Reggie Miller if it is near perfect.
    There is a Barry Sanders RC but I is still not big $. You can spend more money on grading than the cards would be worth.

You seem to have a pile of cards that are near worthless. I do see some HOFers but the cards would be worth less than $2 each. I am trying to help not be a mean person here.

I would tend to agree. I too looked up the Sanders Rookie and was surprised at how little it was worth.

PLEASE understand, the newer (1980's and up) cards must be in perfect condition and centered to have any value.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

And when he says "perfect condition", he means looking at all the corners under 10x magnification and looking for any minor flaw. From my experience, there may be one or two in a bunch like this worthy to send in for a possible PSA 10 grade, but most cards aren't worth taking the chance. The 1988 Fleer Reggie Miller may be the exception.

It certainly takes a trained eye. For example, before I got into grading I had a 1987 Donruss Mark McGwire that I thought was perfect and wanted to send in for grading because I thought it would certainly grade PSA 10. Years later, after I had been grading cards for a while, I looked back at the McGwire and couldn't believe it was the same card. I could now easily see that the card was probably PSA 7, or PSA 8 at the most. A PSA 9 only sells for $12 so it certainly wouldn't be worth it to send in.

I'm also of the mindset that your cards aren't worth sending in. But, this is a very nice group of cards, for sure.

@JoeBanzai said:

@jay0791 said:

I would tend to agree. I too looked up the Sanders Rookie and was surprised at how little it was worth.

PLEASE understand, the newer (1980's and up) cards must be in perfect condition and centered to have any value.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.

Thank you all for the information, certainly learning here. I will head everyone’s advice and I most certainly was not going to jump the gun on grading. But I will look over the Reggie RC.! Thanks everyone I appreciate it > @dontippet said:

And when he says "perfect condition", he means looking at all the corners under 10x magnification and looking for any minor flaw. From my experience, there may be one or two in a bunch like this worthy to send in for a possible PSA 10 grade, but most cards aren't worth taking the chance. The 1988 Fleer Reggie Miller may be the exception.

It certainly takes a trained eye. For example, before I got into grading I had a 1987 Donruss Mark McGwire that I thought was perfect and wanted to send in for grading because I thought it would certainly grade PSA 10. Years later, after I had been grading cards for a while, I looked back at the McGwire and couldn't believe it was the same card. I could now easily see that the card was probably PSA 7, or PSA 8 at the most. A PSA 9 only sells for $12 so it certainly wouldn't be worth it to send in.

I'm also of the mindset that your cards aren't worth sending in. But, this is a very nice group of cards, for sure.

@JoeBanzai said:

@jay0791 said:

I understand! Thank you > @jay0791 said:

• nebishnebish Posts: 45 ✭✭✭

People always like Walter Payton cards, but an 82 Payton with that chipping on the right border (and slightly off center) make it probably a $1 card, or less.

I remember when the 1989 Pro Set came out and the Sanders rookie was worth any where between $7-19. Now it is probably a couple bucks tops, I highly doubt it is worth paying to have it graded because if it came back an 8 let's say, maybe it is worth $5?

Even the Unitas, probably a couple bucks.

There are cards and names people will want and buy, these are cards for collectors who enjoy the cards and the hobby, but not worth much money.

I guess coming to a site where grading is the favorite past time, I am not surprised at the no value comments. I guess it really depends on what you paid and what your plan was. if you were looking to flip them, that is one thing. If you wanted to enjoy some fun cards, that is another.

A lot of what you show is probably dime or quarter box material, and even the best cards you might struggle to get a buck or two from if you were selling. I have not checked the 10K point club cards for a while, since I completed my set, but they used to be fairly popular. Not 93/94 Ultra Scoring Kings or 95/96 Flair Hot Numbers popular. Nothing there is unusually scarce and the odds of any of them being gem grading candidates is probably slim, but still looks like some fun to go through.

What did you pay for the box if you are willing to share?

Me and my brother purchased this a while back but I believe we paid $150. The estate sale was just down the street from us actually and just about everything of interest we were outbid shortly. This was our out coming :) Of course we hoped to find something of value but I will enjoy having them regardless. I like to take risks in that aspect occasionally. > @mrmopar said:

I guess coming to a site where grading is the favorite past time, I am not surprised at the no value comments. I guess it really depends on what you paid and what your plan was. if you were looking to flip them, that is one thing. If you wanted to enjoy some fun cards, that is another.

A lot of what you show is probably dime or quarter box material, and even the best cards you might struggle to get a buck or two from if you were selling. I have not checked the 10K point club cards for a while, since I completed my set, but they used to be fairly popular. Not 93/94 Ultra Scoring Kings or 95/96 Flair Hot Numbers popular. Nothing there is unusually scarce and the odds of any of them being gem grading candidates is probably slim, but still looks like some fun to go through.

What did you pay for the box if you are willing to share?

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:
    I guess coming to a site where grading is the favorite past time, I am not surprised at the no value comments.

OP asked if any were worth grading.

Unfortunately raw cards like the ones shown have little value.

I did a quick search on ebay thinking the Barry Sanders card might be worth something. Raw they go for $2-3, a PSA 10 can sell for $75-125, a PSA 9 $20-30 and a PSA 8 (a very nice looking card) is not worth grading to make a profit.

The replies given were very good.

P.S. when asking opinions on cards it's always best to send in clear pictures of the cards. Scans are the best.

Good luck with your purchase!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Not looking to beat the dead horse, but the title of the thread was "Any Keepers?" and that is how I answered. I don't see any reference to grading either, at least in the initial comment, but again this is a grading site, so that is probably implied. I bounce between several boards to find interesting content and information, but have to allegiance to most of the site specialties (pre-war, grading, prospecting, etc).

I do see several cards I would buy if I came upon them at the right price to add to my collection and they would almost all be keepers for me (I could probably bring myself to toss that Fleer Metcalf card though).

I can't seem to get rid of anything. I go through a box of cards and what is left over is the dirtiest of dirt commons and even feel bad disposing of those sometimes.

@JoeBanzai said:

@mrmopar said:
    I guess coming to a site where grading is the favorite past time, I am not surprised at the no value comments.

OP asked if any were worth grading.

Unfortunately raw cards like the ones shown have little value.

I did a quick search on ebay thinking the Barry Sanders card might be worth something. Raw they go for $2-3, a PSA 10 can sell for $75-125, a PSA 9 $20-30 and a PSA 8 (a very nice looking card) is not worth grading to make a profit.

The replies given were very good.

P.S. when asking opinions on cards it's always best to send in clear pictures of the cards. Scans are the best.

Good luck with your purchase!

• pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

Several of those cards you have are worth a great deal of money, but IF they are PSA 10. As everyone mentioned above those cards need to be perfect, otherwise in lesser condition they are not worth it.

The 15,000 Point Jordan card is $100. The All-NBA Upper Deck Jordan is $250 and you have 2 of them, the Locker Talk Jordan is $200-$300 as a PSA 9, a PSA 10 would probably hit a thousand or more, if you crack out the Decade of Dominance from the junk holder it is about a $80 PSA 10, the 1994 Upper Deck Star Rookie Jordan is a $100 PSA 10, Reggie Miller Rookie is $500-$600 in a PSA 10. Any other common base card Jordan in a PSA 10 sells for at least $25 or more. If you take a jumbo size scan, we can take a better look at the Jordan stuff.

I can take a jumbo scan later tonight and or individuals if need be. Sorry for the lazy photos folks and I appreciate all of the info as well of course > @phelda said:

Several of those cards you have are worth a great deal of money, but IF they are PSA 10. As everyone mentioned above those cards need to be perfect, otherwise in lesser condition they are not worth it.

The 15,000 Point Jordan card is $100. The All-NBA Upper Deck Jordan is $250 and you have 2 of them, the Locker Talk Jordan is $200-$300 as a PSA 9, a PSA 10 would probably hit a thousand or more, if you crack out the Decade of Dominance from the junk holder it is about a $80 PSA 10, the 1994 Upper Deck Star Rookie Jordan is a $100 PSA 10, Reggie Miller Rookie is $500-$600 in a PSA 10. Any other common base card Jordan in a PSA 10 sells for at least $25 or more. If you take a jumbo size scan, we can take a better look at the Jordan stuff.

@phelda Took 2 scans on the surface of a black sock (LOL) with flash. I will have to do the big scan another time.

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

Is that paper loss on the upper left of the back of the Reggie card?

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.

If I remember when I scanned it discoloration. Shown easy enough with the flash. I will have to look again to be sure > @dontippet said:

Is that paper loss on the upper left of the back of the Reggie card?