Home U.S. Coin Forum

New Anti-Counterfeiting Technology Starts February 24!

HeatherBoydHeatherBoyd Posts: 406 admin
edited October 2, 2020 1:52PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Official Launch Date February 24, 2020!

All PCGS Gold Shield submissions received on or after February 24, 2020 will receive Gold Shield NFC Technology for anti-counterfeiting and a better user experience free of charge!

Take-home grading submission at this week's Long Beach Expo will also be eligible.

Original message:

2020 will be the year of perfect vision and we are celebrating by releasing a new technology that will bring more visibility to coins graded and authenticated by PCGS!

We have partnered with HID Global to create NFC chip-embedded slabs that allow collectors to simply tap their smartphone to a coin and instantly receive the Cert Verification.

Read more here: https://www.pcgs.com/news/security-chip-slabs

Heather Boyd
PCGS Senior Director of Marketing

Comments

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Awesome!

Will there be some outward indicator that this type of slab should have a chip?

If it's the standard Gen 6.0 slab, there are ton of them out there without the chip already so it could get confusing whether the slab should appear in the app or not.

Agree. Watching CU stock too.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2019 1:53PM

@HeatherBoyd said:

@Justacommeman said:
    I see the chip is slightly larger then a CAC sticker that might be blocking it B)

Nice move

metta

:) The chips will not be visible when looking at the holders and the technology would not be impeded by an emerald sticker.

Oh I know but that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the chip placement. Pavlovesque.

Happy Holidays Heather

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a very good move. Is there an accompanying price adjustment?

Smitten with DBLCs.

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HeatherBoyd said:

@Aotearoa said:

Nope! These chips will be included in all Gold Shield holders for no additional fee.

Even better!

Smitten with DBLCs.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HeatherBoyd said:

@BillDugan1959 said:
    If someone decides to go on a "hunt" for our hidden coins, will they be able to use the chip as a "locater"?

No, the chips are not wifi-enabled. A device must be in extremely close proximity (think tapping with a phone) in order to receive the signal.

WiFi would have been a poor choice. Besides the distance issue, it would have been necessary to send the slabs back every so often for a battery change. :)

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2019 9:36PM

is there a known life span on these particular chips?

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    If someone decides to go on a "hunt" for our hidden coins, will they be able to use the chip as a "locater"?

That was my first thought, glad to hear they will not be RFID enabled as I prefer to bury my coins out in the yard.

More security is certainty a good thing , especially with the nonstop flood of counterfeits coming out of the east. Glad to see it.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent ... I hope the technology works.

• ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

When does this start? Or did I miss that part?

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HeatherBoyd said:

@Justacommeman said:
    I see the chip is slightly larger then a CAC sticker that might be blocking it B)

Nice move

metta

:) The chips will not be visible when looking at the holders and the technology would not be impeded by an emerald sticker.

What about a gold sticker? >:)

JK. Nice move. Long-term, counterfeiting is a huge threat to the hobby. This will help.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2019 2:27PM

Is there a way to retrofit to previous slabs? Or will a reholder be the way?

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent!

@topstuf said:

The chip will have to be inside the slab for security, so I can't see any "retrofit" possibility.

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will this be the sample slab at the luncheon? Hmmm...

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is outstanding news and a great innovation....PCGS leads the way again..... :) Cheers, RickO

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. The Cert verification app is already handy but NFC just makes it even more seamless. I wonder how long it will take to start seeing these in the wild?

My guess is the typical NFC radio symbol on the back of the slab.

@CoinJunkie said:

@topstuf said:

The chip will have to be inside the slab for security, so I can't see any "retrofit" possibility.

Slit, stick, note slab number. Have index.
    Or... STICK it on and do same.
    ????????????

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2019 4:57PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@topstuf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@topstuf said:

????????????

PCGS has decided to drill into the coin and embed it there.

Imagine if coins could be micro etched like diamonds?

Without something in/on the coin, the slab is the next best thing. Glad for this announcement!

• CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it....

• @topstuf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@topstuf said:

????????????

What makes this program such a strong anti-counterfeiting measure is the fact that the chips will be inside the holders where they cannot be tampered with. This does mean that in order for your coin to receive a chip it would need to undergo reholder or regrade service at a Gold Shield service level.

Heather Boyd
    PCGS Senior Director of Marketing

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

What measures have been taken to insure that the chips cannot be obtained by the makers of counterfeit coins and slabs? Where are the chips made?

All glory is fleeting.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good move! Hopefully the chip doesn't merely encode information visible on the holder or the bad guys could just make fake chips. Also, if a holder is chipped, that info should show up on the cert verification page even if that page wasn't accessed that way.

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely will have to look into sending in some coins for reholder.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

@messydesk said:
    Good move! Hopefully the chip doesn't merely encode information visible on the holder or the bad guys could just make fake chips. Also, if a holder is chipped, that info should show up on the cert verification page even if that page wasn't accessed that way.

The data on the chip is surely encrypted, so the "bad guys" would have to have the secret key (and probably an algorithm) as well as the info on the slab.

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you!!

• savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent. A bold step forward against counterfeit slabs. And imagine the potential reholdering revenue!

• TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2019 9:03PM

Great job. And thanks @BrettPCGS . You're da man!

Ask Me Anything Session with Brett Charville January 1, 2019 10:00 AM PST - 12:30 PM PST

BTW here are some infor for anyone who likes to know more about the chip
    https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/difference-between-rfid-and-nfc.htm

"NFC technology is a newer, more finely honed version of RFID. It operates at a maximum range of about 4 inches (10 centimeters) and can be set up for one- or two-way communications.

Let's start with a one-way NFC data transfer. Using your NFC smartphone, you can tap NFC smart tags that might appear in everything from promotional movie posters and political flyers to museum tour placards. Smart tags are a lot like RFID tags; they're simply tuned to work with an NFC reader instead of an RFID one."

• gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can any of the chips to be used have location technology added that can be accessed by the manufacturer and/or PCGS for anti theft protection?

@gtstang said:
    Can any of the chips to be used have location technology added that can be accessed by the manufacturer and/or PCGS for anti theft protection?

No way. That would require a power source inside the slab and a lot more complexity. As it is, the chip has a detection range of several inches. In theory, the detecting agent (i.e., your cell phone app) could communicate its location to a server somewhere, but there are privacy issues there.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HeatherBoyd said:
    2020 will be the year of perfect vision and we are celebrating by releasing a new technology that will bring more visibility to coins graded and authenticated by PCGS!

We have partnered with HID Global to create NFC chip-embedded slabs that allow collectors to simply tap their smartphone to a coin and instantly receive the Cert Verification.

Read more here: https://www.pcgs.com/news/security-chip-slabs

Article states early 2020. When will a definitive date be announced?

When can we expect updated submission forms to mention the GS/chips?

When will there be a QS offer for free/reduced reholder for GS?

I’m saying “when” because I want to start planing on sending some of my special (to me) slabs in.

Thanks @HeatherBoyd for keeping us up-to-date on these things; and it’s quicker than receiving the email.

Best defense against the insidious fake SLABS. I've never worried about the.....coin....in the slab.. BUT....a fake slab is a real threat.

Question #2... are they susceptible to magnets? Like, to be avoided?

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't wait to see the sample slab! :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2019 7:17AM

Love the idea - keep innovating!

Few questions popped into my head...

It says up above a maximum range of 4 inches, which is just about the distance from the outside of the glass of an allstate type case to a slab laying inside - Just curious if customers can put their phone on my case glass to get a reading.

2nd thing that popped into mind is 4 inches is about 8 slabs give or take - if you put your phone on top of a stack of slabs, will you get multiple readings, just the top one - interference from others, a random one from the stack, etc. I would imagine you would be close enough to invoke the electromagnetic induction on all of the chips, so may confuse the phone/reader similar to multiple NFC cards in your wallet?

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2019 7:05AM

So, are these only available for the secure plus service? If so, will all submissions be secure plus now? If not, will they be available for regular submissions?

@HeatherBoyd said:

@Aotearoa said:

Nope! These chips will be included in all Gold Shield holders for no additional fee.

• LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a nice feature to add. I wonder how long will these last until existing or future technologies reverse engineer and exploit? Since I don't plan to sell my collection it would not be cost beneficial to reholder so many coins, especially the older holders, simply for a chip but I certainly will look forward to the chip in future purchases.

• jabbajabba Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

First off this is awesome second I now have my work in PCGS coin slabs 😎 from the slab to satellites if anyone understands how micro chips are made they start as sputter targets and that’s what We make for the chip industry.

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting advancements. Some great questions already asked. A couple other questions come to mind reading through these.

Will they help cause wildly vivid toning to the coins in the holder >:)

More realistically, since this is authenticated through your device (Which will likely have GPS technology) to the cloud for the verification... will there be a database holding each of these scans and the location of this scan? I could see this as a possible way to track physical locations of certain coins, how long certain coins are dormant, or more importantly when and where stolen coins are scanned. A lot of possibilities here, some better than others. ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file