Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Priemium for an ANACS photo cert style card/coin

coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok I know there is no exact number without seeing the coin but bear with me. Today I went to a very small coin/card show where there were only three coin dealers (but lots of card dealers which surprised me), one dealer had two of the old photo certs. Both were generic Morgans that would be worth $20-$30 without the photo cert one with a split grade of 63/62 the other was 60/63, neither was much to write home about but the 63/62 was decent for the grade and one (the 60/63 coin) had the old ANA logos on the card label. So I inquired the price of each and received a price of $200 for the higher split and $175 for the lower split, now I don't really follow prices for these all that much but how much of a premium would you pay for one of these certs/holder/coins given that the coin is a generic widget in low MS grade because of the cert/holder?

My Lincoln Registry
My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

Priemium for an ANACS photo cert style card/coin

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $25

@coinbuf said:
    ... I inquired the price of each and received a price of $200 for the higher split and $175 for the lower split,

That is way too much premium IMO. I could live with a $20ish premium if I liked the coin.
    I don't know where you shop but if you are getting generic unc. Morgans for $20-30 you should keep shopping there.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few of the photo certs can draw a big premium. A “transfer” certificate is a better one (see thread below for example). However most are fairly common and are only worth a small premium.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/anacs-photo-certificates.246560/

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

@coinbuf said:
    ... I inquired the price of each and received a price of $200 for the higher split and $175 for the lower split,

That is way too much premium IMO. I could live with a $20ish premium if I liked the coin.
    I don't know where you shop but if you are getting generic unc. Morgans for $20-30 you should keep shopping there.

Lol I haven't bought a Morgan in at least 4+ years so I just threw that number in. ;)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $10

I would not pay any significant premium for one....but I am not a collector of slabs....They are nice and have a nostalgic interest... but I like coins...Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file