Home U.S. Coin Forum

American Eagle One Ounce Silver Enhanced Reverse Proof (19XE) SOLD OUT

Comments

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    I see this as a smart flip. Given that the Mint has yet to address the spotting issue I would be reluctant to hold onto these (or any numismatic silver Eagles) for a long period of time.
    I will be getting myself ONE, either graded or ungraded.

I didn’t know the king had a spotting problem! I thaught it was the royal candian mint which they solved.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

@Hemispherical said:

@Kliao said:

@Hemispherical said:

@Kliao said:
    I saw ‘95w going for $2k is that right?!?

Yes, the 70s can get up there in $$.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1995-1-silver-eagle/9886

BTW the link had the bullion ‘95 not the ‘95w here’s the ‘95w
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1995-w-1-silver-eagle-dcam/9887

Will this ASE go up there in 25 years?

You stated $2k therefore the link I posted.

If you had stated $10k then the second link would be appropriate.

Technically it’s all bullion (with a big premium.)

Well I was meaning the 95 w proof not bullion. Still very surprising

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    Sorry Kliao, it was @ernie111 that lives in Philly.
    I assume the staff at the Mint Store are alert to this "getting back in line" method so it may not work. Having a couple friends with you would be the guaranteed way to get more than the individual limit.

The only thing about the store at the Philly Mint is that the last time I checked it was not run directly by the Mint itself, it was outsourced to some company like Aramark. So I don't know exactly who controls what gets sold in that store. I wouldn't even try to go down there and buy one, I will home on my computer trying to order this one.

@ernie11 said:

@Kudbegud said:
    I assume the staff at the Mint Store are alert to this "getting back in line" method so it may not work. Having a couple friends with you would be the guaranteed way to get more than the individual limit.

The only thing about the store at the Philly Mint is that the last time I checked it was not run directly by the Mint itself, it was outsourced to some company like Aramark. So I don't know exactly who controls what gets sold in that store. I wouldn't even try to go down there and buy one, I will home on my computer trying to order this one.

@ernie11 said:

@Kudbegud said:

Really!?! I thaught it was a mint asset

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2019 3:37PM

@Kliao said:

The 1995-W was sold and distributed under very different circumstances. It was only available as an "extra" coin in that year's Gold Eagle 4-coin proof set, priced at $999. The set was available for months as there was no rush to buy, and with a mintage limit of 45,000 it failed to sell out. Even after the final mintage was known, the silver eagle as a single coin was available for some time in the aftermarket for under $300. Many of the coins remained in the gold sets, and are there to this day.

The 2019-S Enhanced Reverse Proof, by contrast, is likely to have a lower final collector demand, partly due to not being either a regular bullion coin or a standard proof. Special "one-off" finishes generate less collector demand than regular finishes. (For example, the 2017-S "enhanced unciruclated" Lincoln cent goes for around $15, despite being technically the lowest mintage Lincoln, with half the mintage of the 1909-S VDB.) Low mintage is no guarantee of a high price. Also, more of the 2019-S mintage will be available to collectors in the aftermarket, due to not being locked up in expensive sets.

The 2019-S will certainly become more expensive than the mint issue price, but I'll be surprised if it manages to overtake the 1995-W.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

@Overdate said:

@Kliao said:

The 1995-W was sold and distributed under very different circumstances. It was only available as an "extra" coin in that year's Gold Eagle 4-coin proof set, priced at $999. The set was available for months as there was no rush to buy, and with a mintage limit of 45,000 it failed to sell out. Even after the final mintage was known, the silver eagle as a single coin was available for some time in the aftermarket for under $300. Many of the coins remained in the gold sets, and are there to this day.

The 2019-S Enhanced Reverse Proof, by contrast, is likely to have a lower final collector demand, partly due to not being either a regular bullion coin or a standard proof. Special "one-off" finishes generate less collector demand than regular finishes. (For example, the 2017-S "enhanced unciruclated" Lincoln cent goes for around $15, despite being technically the lowest mintage Lincoln, with half the mintage of the 1909-S VDB.) Low mintage is no guarantee of a high price. Also, more of the 2019-S mintage will be available to collectors in the aftermarket, due to not being locked up in expensive sets.

The 2019-S will certainly become more expensive than the mint issue price, but I'll be surprised if it manages to overtake the 1995-W.

It will overtake the W. And maybe the set. I think it will do better than the set because of the low mintage. Regardless I’m in.

Is this going to be the first US mint product that will have individual numbered COAs

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

@Kliao said:

@Hemispherical said:

@Kliao said:

Yes, the 70s can get up there in $$.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1995-1-silver-eagle/9886

BTW the link had the bullion ‘95 not the ‘95w here’s the ‘95w
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1995-w-1-silver-eagle-dcam/9887

Will this ASE go up there in 25 years?

You stated $2k therefore the link I posted.

If you had stated $10k then the second link would be appropriate.

Technically it’s all bullion (with a big premium.)

LOL. The same is true of a chain cent - just copper with a premium.

@ernie11 said:

@Kudbegud said:

Personally, I think you are more likely to see the coins at the Baltimore show than at the Mint store.

@jmlanzaf said:

@ernie11 said:

@Kudbegud said:

Personally, I think you are more likely to see the coins at the Baltimore show than at the Mint store.

With pumped up prices

@Kliao said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ernie11 said:

@Kudbegud said:

With pumped up prices

NO. The Mint will be selling them there.

@jmlanzaf said:

@Kliao said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ernie11 said:

@Kudbegud said:

With pumped up prices

Really? So that means the full 30,000 won't be available online

@Kliao said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Kliao said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ernie11 said:

@Kudbegud said:

With pumped up prices

Really? So that means the full 30,000 won't be available online

How could they be? Even if they just put them in the Mint Store, that takes them off line. Whatever is in the Mint Store or with the Mint folks at Baltimore will not be available online.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2019 6:33PM

Kliao, look at it this way. Whether it is 20,000, 25,000 or 30,000 it’s not gonna make a huge difference on the sellout time.
    Maybe even in the blink of an eagles eye.
    Then it is time to really panic.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

@MilesWaits said:
    Kliao, look at it this way. Whether it is 20,000, 25,000 or 30,000 it’s not gonna make a huge difference on the sellout time.

With the mint selling at the coin show will the HHL be active at the show?

@Kliao said:

@MilesWaits said:

With the mint selling at the coin show will the HHL be active at the show?

Yes. They do it all the time with these issues. They are timed to correspond to major shows

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you guys think that this will decrease the value of the 1995 W?

Land of the Free because of the Brave!

@Raufus said:

I wouldn’t think so. With so many people collecting the ASE there will be a market for both these coins in the the secondary market

@Raufus said:

It might. It really depends on how many speculators there are in the market. It SHOULDN'T because it's not like this creates more 1995W's. But if people have been buying them, gambling that they are the "key" and will appreciate, then those people might bail on them.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with dilution effect. I mean there are already how many other proof 2019 "S" eagles out there? Enhanced finish or not, this would not be of equal rarity to the 1995 W; there are just too many "finish" options.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

What would be interesting is if they would mix the S mint ASE with the regular bullion like how they mixed the W quarters. The flaw to that is only certified dealers get the bullion ASE from the mint.

edited October 14, 2019 10:32AM

One month till stuff hits the blades

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    What would be interesting is if they would mix the S mint ASE with the regular bullion like how they mixed the W quarters. The flaw to that is only certified dealers get the bullion ASE from the mint.

Bite your tongue! I'm not searching through bullion like quarters searching for that elusive W.

What are your thoughts on the prices in the secondary market after the sellout?

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2019 6:47AM

I only know Zi will be getting one and then it’s going to get graded. PCGS of course rolling the dice praying the 70 gods are nice to me!

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be very interesting to see what the big companies are offering people before they go on sale to buy for them.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!

@Kliao said:

I've already offered $500 for them. I've also already had one taker at that price.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2019 8:28AM

Special Issue/Special Finish Silver Eagles - the US Mint's Final Frontier!

Get'em while they're hot, because next year's secret sauce will be even "rarer".

I suppose that I shouldn't be quite so jaded about the Mint, but they seem to have run just about every other Modern Series into the ground with their thrashing about.

Why not Silver Eagles as well?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is someone on BullionStacker currently offering $160.

• 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

$200 initially in the secondary market is a fair offer price; remember for about a year after release of the 1995-w it could be had for $250 bucks

edited October 15, 2019 9:45AM

@7over8 said:
    $200 initially in the secondary market is a fair offer price; remember for about a year after release of the 1995-w it could be had for $250 bucks

$200 is WAY LOW. If the mintage stays at 30,000, I'll take all you've got at well over $200. PM me.

@MorganMan94 said:

Cheapskate

• MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MorganMan94 said:

Cheapskate

I didn't commit to buy for them, it is just the only bid I have seen posted.

@MorganMan94 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MorganMan94 said:

Cheapskate

Prices will be all over. People are also concerned that they may raise the mintage.

@jmlanzaf said:

@Kliao said:

I've already offered $500 for them. I've also already had one taker at that price.

Really? Your offering $500? If I can some how get a hold of more than one they will Gabe going to you!

@7over8 said:

Might be higher right after the release and during the hype

@jmlanzaf said:

@MorganMan94 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MorganMan94 said:

Cheapskate

Prices will be all over. People are also concerned that they may raise the mintage.

Most likely they won’t raise the mintage. Unless they have an stockpile of silver they have to get rid of.

@jmlanzaf said:

@7over8 said:

$200 is WAY LOW. If the mintage stays at 30,000, I'll take all you've got at well over $200. PM me.

you’ll see the known buyers offer 200-250 initially.
    Your opinion is taken, but 500 is over the top and you’ll be buried in them for a while.

@7over8 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@7over8 said:

Your opinion is taken, but 500 is over the top and you’ll be buried in them for a while.

$500 could be well worth it if the market will demand them for $1k+ like the ‘95w proofs

Won’t be a grand initially at all—-there is a point in which most of your demand falls off.......500 bucks for a “just issued” silver eagle (and after the race to the bottom occurs on eBay) will most likely not happen within the next 12 months
    After which you are dependent on the available supply being in strong hands—-to see your price jump

@7over8 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@7over8 said:

I already had a dealer offer me $525. But thank you for your opinion.

@7over8 said:
    Won’t be a grand initially at all—-there is a point in which most of your demand falls off.......500 bucks for a “just issued” silver eagle (and after the race to the bottom occurs on eBay) will most likely not happen within the next 12 months
    After which you are dependent on the available supply being in strong hands—-to see your price jump

Your analysis is based on the (mistaken?) belief that there aren't more than 30,000 ASE collectors

• OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

if you try to order more than one on the same computer (different name, address, credit card) will they will see the iPO address and cancel your orders?

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Overdate said:

@Kliao said:

The 2019-S Enhanced Reverse Proof, by contrast, is likely to have a lower final collector demand, partly due to not being either a regular bullion coin or a standard proof. Special "one-off" finishes generate less collector demand than regular finishes.

For the reason you stated, I see the chances of it overtaking the 95-W as virtually zero. Another potential reason is that the proportion of 70 grades is going to be a lot higher. Most of the 95-W are graded 69 but I presume fewer proportionately are eligible than will be the case for this coin.

If 70,000 to 100,000 is ballpark accurate for the true collector base, then what proportion likely buy the different finishes? I suspect it is declining if the anecdotal accounts I read on coin forums are accurate. Seems collectors are getting tired of the US Mint using them as cash cows to push endless product.

I have always assumed that the majority of 95-W owners are actually buying it as a collectible to complete a set. If so, seems to me that the true collector base should be noticeably higher than 70,000 to 100,000 even though I concurrently assume there are an outsized proportion of speculators owning this coin and series versus others struck for circulation.

If not, this coin has been a terrible speculation for practically anyone who bought it within what, the last 15 years? The price has been high for a long time but it's also been "dead money".

• MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭

@Onedollarnohollar said:
    if you try to order more than one on the same computer (different name, address, credit card) will they will see the iPO address and cancel your orders?

It's been a few years, but it used to work fine.

Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
    edited October 15, 2019 6:19PM

I don’t necessarily see the RP as simply a “collector” issue.
    I realize that many people here have collected sets for many years but I suspect this is more of a novelty, the RP floats better in a sea of non-novel coins coming from the Mint that have become boring, predictable.
    As a novelty and outlier, this RP provides an unknown on how high of a demand there will be in the secondary market.
    The initial market, buying directly from the Mint, will provide a very small window.
    Very small.

@Onedollarnohollar said:

not so far

@Onedollarnohollar said:

I don’t think they will go that far to enforce the 1 HHL. It’s still a sale for them and that is basically all they care about.

@Kliao said:

@Onedollarnohollar said:

I don’t think they will go that far to enforce the 1 HHL. It’s still a sale for them and that is basically all they care about.

IF that was all they cared about, they would not have a HHL at all.

And they have canceled duplicate purchases when they catch them. I'm just not aware of them doing it by IP address...yet

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

AFAIK, every grader/most employees at every TPGS/coin shop is going to be trying to purchase one of these to flip using the same company computer system.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file