Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

American Eagle One Ounce Silver Enhanced Reverse Proof (19XE) SOLD OUT

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Im going to ask my friends to see if they can help me get more than one.

Now, that's a novel idea!

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    Im going to ask my friends to see if they can help me get more than one.

Now, that's a novel idea!

But I probably have to set up their accounts

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

2 minute sell out.

Going to try like hell to get one.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options

@TheRaven said:
    2 minute sell out.

Going to try like hell to get one.

Log on 5 to 10 min before release. Probably what I’m gonna do

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

I will be ready and waiting.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options

Will the mint stores have any in stock? If so does anyone know how many?

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t see it as dependent on the number of collectors.
    I do see it as potential hysteria, frenzy, and drive to have the lowest mintage.
    And if you can get that lowest mintage Eagle at the lowest price possible from the Mint, why not?
    You best have your number one speedy outfit on come play time.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    Let's analyze this. How many actual dedicated Silver Eagle collectors are out there? That's your baseline.

70 to 100,000

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

70 to 100,000

Duly noted.

As I see it, using your estimates - after the dust settles from this new issue and the chickens come home to roost, the number of actual dedicated* Silver Eagle collectors will then be from 70 to 40,000 or so.

*I'm assuming that the word "dedicated" means that they have some desire for a complete set in one condition or another and have the means to pursue that goal.

The Mint is becoming much like a subscription service - i.e. the Franklin Mint - rather than a government agency with a mandate to be responsive to the needs of its citizens.

No big surprise here. Do I sound too jaded? o:)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

With only one per household initially, it might take several hours to sell out. That's my take.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@OPA said:
    With only one per household initially, it might take several hours to sell out. That's my take.

I don’t think so. There are probably 30,000+ ASE collectors and even more people that want to flip them. It will be unavailable quick

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think these will be similar to the American Eagle 2018 One Ounce Palladium Proof Coins. I got one of those just barely before they sold out. those sold out about in 4 minutes

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    I think these will be similar to the American Eagle 2018 One Ounce Palladium Proof Coins. I got one of those just barely before they sold out. those sold out about in 4 minutes

Possibly. Just look at this ASE as the key date that everyone wants. For sale directly from the mint.

• Options

anything that is going to triple in value after sell out will be in high demand. the bigger dealers are already trying to get people to buy for them for a premium

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:

Maybe, but those had a mintage of 15k along with being a brand new issue...just look at the subsequent years of higher mintage issued ones.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@coinpalice said:
    anything that is going to triple in value after sell out will be in high demand. the bigger dealers are already trying to get people to buy for them for a premium

Where? I would like to see which companies are after it and how much they are spending

• Options

send MCM a message

• Options

@coinpalice said:

Yes, that was 15,000 coins. At 30,000 coins, it might last 8 minutes.

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2019 12:02PM

• Options

@OPA said:

@coinpalice said:

Maybe, but those had a mintage of 15k along with being a brand new issue...just look at the subsequent years of higher mintage issued ones.

That's not the point. There are more than 30,000 people who want these - including flippers. If 15k sells out in 4 minutes, then 30k might last 8 minutes or 10 minutes. There will probably be 50,000 people trying to place orders simultaneously. The only real limits on how fast it sells out is the speed of the purchasers and the bandwidth of the system. If the system jams up, it may last 20 minutes.

If these had 1 click ordering, they would sell out in less than 60 seconds.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinpalice said:

My guess is barely a minute.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinpalice said:

I don’t think so. There are far more people that collect the ASE and more people that can afford them rather than a $1,000+ palladium coin

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Correct...

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Unavailable in 13 seconds flat !
    Rioting breaking out at key Goverment Minting Facilities.

Headlines of the day.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FullStrike said:

Headlines of the day.

I live in Philly and the area around the Mint here is about as quiet as you get, except for the tourists across the street who visit and toss pennies on Ben Franklin's grave. I had to laugh at this, the idea of a riot in that area is too funny.

• Options

@ernie11 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinpalice said:

My guess is barely a minute.

You're not doing the math. They sold out immediately in 4 minutes. That's as fast as 15,000 orders could be entered and processed. Unless they upgraded the system, they will not be able full enter or process any faster than that. It takes time buddy to get it in the cart, confirm payment, accept terms

• Options

@Kliao said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinpalice said:

I don’t think so. There are far more people that collect the ASE and more people that can afford them rather than a $1,000+ palladium coin

Doesn't matter. Everyone was trying to buy the palladium for the flip. The system ca n only process orders at a certain rate. On busy days like that, it sometimes takes minutes to get to the confirmation screen. I know people on the palladium that had it in the cart and order processing but got shut out when it went unavailable while they were waiting

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ernie11 said:

@FullStrike said:

Headlines of the day.

I live in Philly and the area around the Mint here is about as quiet as you get, except for the tourists across the street who visit and toss pennies on Ben Franklin's grave. I had to laugh at this, the idea of a riot in that area is too funny.

Your best bet seems to be at the Mint Store. Are you going that route?

• Options

@Kudbegud said:

@ernie11 said:

@FullStrike said:

Headlines of the day.

How do they make sure they don’t buy more than one at the mint store if you pay in cash?

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

At 30,000 coins, it might last 8 minutes.

I agree. And 8 minutes will go by in a flash.
    I want one. Glad I put this one in my "subscription service" so it's automatic! (just kidding, couldn't resist! :) )

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    No “sellout” on the first day.

Unavailable WILL occur.

Then the early birds gets the worm(s) for a bit.

3 minutes …... gone

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

They will sell out as fast as the orders can be processed...they did add flexible overflow capacity and this sale will test that. It could be 30 secs to 20 mins. We will know their absolute capacity after this.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

@Onastone said:

@jmlanzaf said:

At 30,000 coins, it might last 8 minutes.

I agree. And 8 minutes will go by in a flash.
    I want one. Glad I put this one in my "subscription service" so it's automatic! (just kidding, couldn't resist! :) )

The remind Me button doesn’t send you an email until 2 hrs after the initial release

• Options

@Kliao said:

@Kudbegud said:

How do they make sure they don’t buy more than one at the mint store if you pay in cash?

It's a physical store...the Mint Gift Shop. You go in and they have a supply on hand. Ask for 10 and I'm pretty sure they will say something like "Sorry, there is a limit of 1 per customer."

As had been done in the past the collector has several friends or relatives in line with him and they each buy the limit if 1.

The reason to show up in person, plenty early I'd suggest, is there is no computer choking to make you miss your chance. Some take their coin(s) directly to the FedX office and within minutes its on its way to PCGS. Or USPS Express Mail or UPS.

Good luck if you give it a try.

• Options

@Kudbegud said:

@Kliao said:

@Kudbegud said:

It's a physical store...the Mint Gift Shop. You go in and they have a supply on hand. Ask for 10 and I'm pretty sure they will say something like "Sorry, there is a limit of 1 per customer."

As had been done in the past the collector has several friends or relatives in line with him and they each buy the limit if 1.

The reason to show up in person, plenty early I'd suggest, is there is no computer choking to make you miss your chance. Some take their coin(s) directly to the FedX office and within minutes its on its way to PCGS. Or USPS Express Mail or UPS.

I think his point is that you could go in 5 times and make 5 separate cash transactions and they wouldn't know.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Kudbegud said:

@Kliao said:

@Kudbegud said:

I think his point is that you could go in 5 times and make 5 separate cash transactions and they wouldn't know.

@jmlanzaf said:

@Kudbegud said:

@Kliao said:

@Kudbegud said:

Yes that was what I was trying to get at

• Options

@Kudbegud said:

@Kliao said:

@Kudbegud said:

I won’t be able to try it since I’m in Chicago. No mint store around here

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2019 6:32PM

This latest Riot to be sponsored by the US Mint could be a real Doozy. Imagine 80% of the mintage leaving via the back door weeks before being " offered " to the little guys. On the Day in question, you try to order and quickly see the unavavailable message.

Before the steam stops rising from your ears, you learn of 70's for Next Day Delivery from several of the Big Time Operators.

The price : $2,599.99 Next Day Air

• Options

Sorry Kliao, it was @ernie111 that lives in Philly.
    I assume the staff at the Mint Store are alert to this "getting back in line" method so it may not work. Having a couple friends with you would be the guaranteed way to get more than the individual limit.

• Options
    edited October 11, 2019 7:29PM

Oh, the frenzied days of the Kennedy Gold are comin back to me.
    The difference is do you hear that sound??
    That is the scrambling of collectors running for the exit with the next closest mintage Eagle.

• Options

I saw ‘95w going for $2k is that right?!?

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

Yes, the 70s can get up there in $$.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1995-1-silver-eagle/9886

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

When my dealer friend.. gets his employees ,family ready , to order this reverse eagle..... bet on a hot sellout

• Options

@bestday said:
    When my dealer friend.. gets his employees ,family ready , to order this reverse eagle..... bet on a hot sellout

Did he?

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

you could go in 5 times and make 5 separate cash transactions and they wouldn't know.

That's like going Trick-or-Treating and going to the same house after changing your costume in the car. New mask, new sweatshirt, ghost sheet, cowboy hat...just keep getting in line at the same house until they run out of candy!!!

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    Sorry Kliao, it was @ernie111 that lives in Philly.
    I assume the staff at the Mint Store are alert to this "getting back in line" method so it may not work. Having a couple friends with you would be the guaranteed way to get more than the individual limit.

I beg to differ. I was on the physical line that stretched around the building to the Mint gift shop in Philly during the Kennedy Gold fiasco; only to see dealers handing prepaid Visa cards to their “actors” they paid to stand in line to buy the coins for them.
    It will be anything but “sleepy” around the js Mint gift stores on nov 14 —-and that is IF they actually sell them at the gift store....because that has happened too—-only available online!!!

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@Kliao said:

BTW the link had the bullion ‘95 not the ‘95w here’s the ‘95w
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1995-w-1-silver-eagle-dcam/9887

Will this ASE go up there in 25 years?

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@bestday said:

Did he?

Now that’s how you het more!

• Options

I see this as a smart flip. Given that the Mint has yet to address the spotting issue I would be reluctant to hold onto these (or any numismatic silver Eagles) for a long period of time.
    I will be getting myself ONE, either graded or ungraded.

• Options

@Kliao said:

@Hemispherical said:

@Kliao said:

BTW the link had the bullion ‘95 not the ‘95w here’s the ‘95w
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1995-w-1-silver-eagle-dcam/9887

Will this ASE go up there in 25 years?

You stated $2k therefore the link I posted.

If you had stated $10k then the second link would be appropriate.

Technically it’s all bullion (with a big premium.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file