Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coin Sets of All Nations People's Republic of China

I have 2 versions of this set and I'm having problems with what they might be worth.
Purple stamp set: 5 Jiao, 2 Jiao, 1 Jiao (1981)
1 Yuan (1981)
5 Fen, 2 Fen, 1 Fen (1982)
Blue stamp set: 5 Jian, 2 Jian, 1 Jiao (1981)
5 Yuan (1983)
5 Fen, 2 Fen, 1 Fen (1981)
Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

They aren't official sets from the Chinese mint or government - as is clear from the mixture of dates included in the sets. They were assembled and marketed by the Franklin Mint. "All Nations" implies these cards are but one of a set of a whole bunch of cards, featuring stamps and coins from lots of different countries. They probably mailed you one random set a month if you were on their mailing list, or something. Doing a Google search for the exact phrase "Coin Sets of All Nations" turns up examples from dozens of different countries.

They are "worth" whatever the individual coins are worth - probably not much, as the makers of such things would not have selected coins that were known at the time to be rare. While some Franklin Mint coins that they actually minted are scarce and valuable these days, I don't think there's much collector demand for their after-market "value-added" packaging. Though it might appeal to the collector of both stamps and coins (which was presumably FM's marketing idea in the first place).

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although as Cladking has pointed out, there are occasionally gems amongst the dross - most of these coins are very well struck, many to specimen status and nearly proof like and with care occasionally rare dates in good preservation can be had - certainly NOT all or even most though...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't remember for sure if China(I think it is) is one of them...but some of those sets do bring good money, far above the value of the coins by themselves.