Five or ten of your favorite NON- rock songs

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don McLean - American Pie
Franki Valli - Oh what a Night
Gordon Lightfoot - Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
America - Ventura Highway
John Denver - Country Road
The Spinners - Games people play
The Pretenders - 2000 miles (I'm guessing the Pretenders can easily be rock, but I thought they were punk)
The Cars - It's all mixed up (classifying the Cars as punk and not rock)

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just play this ten times.

https://youtu.be/_EBC5Oha08s

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

Luck Be a Lady - Frank Sinatra
    The Gambler - Kenny Rogers
    On the Road Again - Willie Nelson
    Alice's Restaurant Massacree - Arlo Guthrie
    Thunder Rolls - Garth Brooks
    Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys - Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson
    The Ballad of the Blue Cyclone - Ray Stephens
    Time in a Bottle - Jim Croce
    Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash
    Fanfare for the Common Man - Aaron Copland

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Manfred Man - The Mighty Quin, Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown,

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2019 3:55PM

Beatles- Norwegian Wood
    Neil Young, Old Man, The Needle and the Damage Done
    JJ Cale, Crazy Mama
    Willie Nelson, Off the Road Again
    Patsy Cline, Crazy

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2019 5:13PM

This one is tough- easy to miss non rock songs I like. Love American Pie by Don McLean also.

Tracy Chapman- Fast car
    Elton John- Daniel
    Bee Gees- Stayin' Alive
    Bee Gees- Too much heaven
    Bowie- Young Americans
    Pink Floyd- Wish you were here
    Willie Nelson- Blue eyes cryin' in the rain
    Carly Simon- You're so vain
    REM- Losing my religion
    Michael Jackson- Smooth Criminal
    Boz Scaggs- We're all alone
    Steely Dan- Do it again
    Steely Dan- Reelin' in the years

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take The "A" Train.
    Blue Rondo ala Turk.
    I get A Kick Out Of You.
    Vein Melter.
    The True Story Of The Sinking Of The Titanic.
    Maid With The Flaxen Hair.
    Claire De Lune.
    Take A Pebble.
    Things Ain't What They Used To Be.
    Robbin's Nest.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2019 8:13PM

“On the Street Where You Live” movie soundtrack version. Greatest song ever written, best rendition.
    “That’s Why the Lady is a Tramp” by Frank Sinatra.
    “Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered” by Sinatra
    “New York, New York” by Sinatra
    “I’ve Never Been in Love Before” from “Guys an Dolls” Sinatra should have sung it the dumb movie, but they cut it out completely probably because they miscast “sex symbol” Marlin Brando to play the role. Apologies to my mother who liked Brando. I think he was a jerk.
    “The Soliloquy from Carousel” because it requires so many singing styles to do it well. John Raitt, Bonnie’s dad, originated it on Broadway. Gordon McCray did it well in the movie.

And, yea, I am a huge classic Broadway fan. I’ll post five more if there is any interest.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Good stuff. Post 5 more.

• Options
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of great answers.
    Great idea for a thread @1970s You are making us think!

I'll start with this whole album
    https://youtu.be/0fC1qSxpmKo

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is one that I assume very few of you have heard..... but some of you may like .

Modest Mouse 'Bankrupt on Selling'...https://youtu.be/yMKn6XIvM2M

• Options

Even the non opera folks like this.

https://youtu.be/ERD4CbBDNI0

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2019 4:09PM

Good stuff. Post 5 more.

"Everything's Coming Up Roses” from the stage play “Gypsy.” It’s one of the best first act closing songs ever written, and comes at the time when the main character, should be really down in the dumps. The show was written by much the same team that wrote “West Side Story” minus Leonard Bernstein. Jules Styne, the most underrate composer from the 1950s to the early to mid-60s, wrote the music. Underappreciated when it first opened, revivals of “Gypsy” have consistently won the Tony for almost every production of it. It's got a great book about how parents should not try to live their lives through their children.

"Hey Look Me Over!" was the hit song from the flop play "Wildcat.” The New York critics had a field day dumping on TV star Lucille Ball when the “high-brow people” viewed television as “a vast wasteland.”

“There’s No Business Like Show Business” Irving Berlin’s valentine to show business, which only one number out of the great score that he wrote for “Annie Get Your Gun.” Victor Herbert was supposed to have written the score, but he died before he could do it. Berlin took his place at the request of Rogers and Hammerstein who produced the show in 1946.

The story is there was dead silence in the room after Berlin played the song for R&H. He thought it was a flop! In reality R&H were thunderstruck.

I couldn’t believe it when one “still wet behind the ears” critic called “Annie Get Your Gun” a “star vehicle” for Ethel Merman. The opera star, Luciano Pavarotti, put it quite well when he made the comment, (some) “Critics are like dogs who are looking for a chance to pee on a monument.”

Here’s one you fellows might not know. “Seventy-six Trombones” and “Good Night My Someone” from the “Music Man” share a common sequence of musical notes. The difference is in the tempo. I’m not saying these among the greatest songs of all time, but it was an interesting twist that Meredith Wilson added to the score.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Angie Stones
    Norwegian Wood Beatles
    Yesterday Beatles
    Empty Garden (Hey Hey Johnny) Elton john
    Comfortably Numb Pink Floyd
    Wind Cries Mary Hendrix
    Thank You Zeppelin
    Your Song Elton John
    Scarborough Fair Simon/Garfunkel
    Sound of Silence Simon/Garfunkel