Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should a Gold Shield coin always have a TV available? Because this newp of mine doesn't have one...

planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

Here's what I picked up from GC. (This is their image):

But! Cert Verification for 37006294 has the graphic "no image available." What gives? Is there some workaround I can use to grab PCGS' image, if one exists? I tried a URL that another member shared with me, but I just got an error message.

Comments

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty sure that in the recent past (2014 or so) the gold shield was called "secure" and a true view wasn't provided unless you paid for it. Now gold shield costs $5 extra and includes the true view.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the coin was holdered in Hong Kong or Europe, you currently get a slab scan rather than a TV. I'm guessing that's not your issue but I'll mention it anyway...

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

@tommy44 That does ring a bell. I just looked at my order list and recalled the single Free submission offered in June 2010. That was for the launch of "Secure Plus," if memory and associated URLs serve. I'm hazy on whether I paid extra for a TV then, but I I think you're right about the TV not being included free until years later.

Here's what was provided back then with the shield:

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a recently graded Merc to me, not sure why there is no true view. @PCGSPhoto

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cert verification page for your Merc says the holder type is "Standard" so something isn't quite right.
    It should say Gold Shield or maybe Secure Plus.

Excellent coin, btw.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgandollar1878 said:
    Looks like a recently graded Merc to me, not sure why there is no true view. @PCGSPhoto

+1
    It's definitely one of the more recent generation of PCGS holders.
    It's likely something that was accidentally missed and hopefully PCGS has the photo and can add it now that they are aware. :)

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@planetsteve

If you paid for the GS then it’s a data entry on our hosts part.

The cert page should state GS as holder type and you should have TV pics.

The issue may occur if the images for TV is not available for some reason. If that happens, expect to get an email to return the slabbed coin for a Mech Error. It is a quick turnaround.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@planetsteve said:
    @tommy44 That does ring a bell. I just looked at my order list and recalled the single Free submission offered in June 2010. That was for the launch of "Secure Plus," if memory and associated URLs serve. I'm hazy on whether I paid extra for a TV then, but I I think you're right about the TV not being included free until years later.

Exactly right.

It was early 2010 when PCGS introduced "Secure Plus" fingerprinting and the now-defunct Sniffer (along with plus-grading). The images PCGS provided weren't TrueViews. They were from the digital scan which sufficed for ID'ing coins but were otherwise terrible representations of them.

Only a couple of years ago did PCGS begin providing TrueView images for the newly renamed "Gold Shield" service.

The OP's coin appears to be in a newer holder. So, either PCGS goofed and a TV should have been associated. Or maybe the coin was reholdered and no TV was taken.

Phil Arnold will weigh in, I think.
    Lance.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2019 12:27AM

@lkeigwin said:

@planetsteve said:

Exactly right.

It was early 2010 when PCGS introduced "Secure Plus" fingerprinting and the now-defunct Sniffer (along with plus-grading). The images PCGS provided weren't TrueViews. They were from the digital scan which sufficed for ID'ing coins but were otherwise terrible representations of them.

Only a couple of years ago did PCGS begin providing TrueView images for the newly renamed "Gold Shield" service.

The OP's coin appears to be in a newer holder. So, either PCGS goofed and a TV should have been associated. Or maybe the coin was reholdered and no TV was taken.

Phil Arnold will weigh in, I think.
    Lance.

Or maybe the owner didn't like the True View and asked Phil to kill it. I haven't done it with a True View yet, but I did have Phil kill one of the horrendous digital scans you reference. I had multiple people ask me why the color looked so ho hum in the scan. It was awful and hindered my ability to sell a toner (everyone assumed my images were juiced) until I had it pulled.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm an old geezer. I saw "TV" and immediately thought "television."

Maybe your coin is on the radio! :)

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    I'm an old geezer. I saw "TV" and immediately thought "television."

Maybe your coin is on the radio! :)

+1 B)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

I'm forwarding this issue to our Customer Service team.

Phil

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file