Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Got this back from a seller of a fake Morgan

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

First the coin:

I sent him a polite note to take the coin to a shop and have it examined as I suspected it was a Chinese counterfeit. His first message back asked how I knew. I then told him it just looked off and get it checked. Then I got this reply that I thought was funny...:

yeah, I am retired as well these coins buying and selling a few, all that keeps me busy nowadays but I do them at my on time. lol, well them and my grandchildren. I don't have a shop but I've been collecting these coins for about 4 years now I collected as a young boy then gave it up after High school started saving for marriage. and children man some of the coins I got back when I was just a boy with a paper route they always paid me in .50c pieces as the paper was .45c a week then. lol, I got a lot of standing liberty and franklin half dollars back 1961, 62 I remember the 1st time I got a barber half I didn't think it was American money haha mind you I was ten. yeah, all the coins I wanted back then but could not afford on the pay from a paper route I am trying to buy now. Like the Morgan, CC's the always desired 1909 VDB's I managed to get a few now I am looking at the buffalo Nickle I always loved them too I started off with the 1st two 1913 on the mound and on the plain work my way through them as I find deals. well, I'll let ya go I will be looking each week to see what ya have for sale you helped me out of what could have been a real pickle. You were right BTW it weighed 26.6g passed the magnet test and the magnet slide test. the ping sound was flat though. I learned about the ping test long after I bought this coin. I just weighed them and used a magnet on coins before. I took the coin to a dealer in Anderson she confirmed just what you said a well made but still a China counterfeit coin made of nickel, copper and silver plated.
thanks again Newell

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file