Home Sports Talk
Options

Roy Halladay - A total class act, but addicted just like Doc Gooden.

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably a curse when they nickname them Doc.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you don't know about addiction, maybe you should not make comments.

Here's all you need to know; Alcoholism is a progressive fatal disease and most who suffer from it do not recover.

Playing baseball or having a nickname had nothing to do with it.

Have a nice day.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Better nickname would have been," Halladay on ice"

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2019 12:50PM

Regarding the part about Halladay taking lorazepam: I remember taking lorazepam one summer many years ago when I had severe sleep problems due to a physical ailment. I never wanted to be on a drug like that, but it was the lesser of 2 evils. Once my sleep issues got better, my physician told me to stop taking lorazepam and of course when I stopped suddenly, my sleep problems came right back. Fortunately, I had just read an article in an alternative health magazine on this very subject. The article suggested weaning oneself off the drug very slowly and doing meditation daily. Took me 7 weeks to wean off it, but I did it!

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

Here's all you need to know; Alcoholism is a progressive fatal disease and most who suffer from it do not recover.

Have a nice day.

I took some time to ponder my response to your curt retort to the OP and myself.

Yeah...I know quite a bit about substance abuse. My mother OD'd and died 50 years ago and many of my friends and relatives were hooked on prescription drugs, cocaine and at least a couple were lushes.

To attribute drug addiction of any sort as a disease is providing a crutch to those that do not have the determination or the desire to kick the habit.

My closest friend and also my step brother were heave coke users for way too many years. The former ran out of money and got clean over 30 years ago and has enjoyed a successful life. The other has been in and out of rehab and jail for decades. In his late 60's he claims that he is clean. I doubt it.

Yeah I have known addicts. Many. Some wanted to live...others didn't give a crap.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Have a nice day.

I took some time to ponder my response to your curt retort to the OP and myself.

Yeah...I know quite a bit about substance abuse. My mother OD'd and died 50 years ago and many of my friends and relatives were hooked on prescription drugs, cocaine and at least a couple were lushes.

To attribute drug addiction of any sort as a disease is providing a crutch to those that do not have the determination or the desire to kick the habit.

My closest friend and also my step brother were heave coke users for way too many years. The former ran out of money and got clean over 30 years ago and has enjoyed a successful life. The other has been in and out of rehab and jail for decades. In his late 60's he claims that he is clean. I doubt it.

Yeah I have known addicts. Many. Some wanted to live...others didn't give a crap.

It was a curt reply.

I quit using twice, thankfully the second time worked or I most assuredly would be dead or incarcerated.

My father died young, most likely because of alcohol related reasons. He had been sober for several years. My mother was at death's door and was able to quit and live a long life.

It's obvious that those of you who do not suffer from alcoholism/drug dependency simply cannot understand the compulsion. You should be glad. I don't really understand it myself, so I cannot begin to explain it to you.

It really has nothing to do with determination or desire. That is a common fallacy.

Co-dependent people are often just as sick or more so than the alcoholic.

You have probably suffered because of the loved ones you have lost or watched destroy their lives. If you have not read the book "Alcoholics Anonymous", I would suggest picking up a copy.

I don't happen to think it's funny.

This will be my last post on this thread.

Have a great weekend!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what the tox. tests will reveal on Tyler Skaggs.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2019 6:44PM

I have seen a lot of tragedy from drug abuse, and I can tell you that a lot of people want to quit, but the drug has such a powerful grip on them, that they just can't. Everyone is different. Some people can overcome it, but others just can't break the grip. Our job as human beings is to love them and be there for them, not to criticize and judge them.