Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

(CNN) Step aside America, Canada just reinvented the coin.

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 17, 2019 9:46AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Canada releases a Canada-shaped coin

The Royal Canadian Mint decided to break the mold -- literally -- and design a coin in the shape of Canada in honor of Canada Day.
Erica Maga, product manager at the Royal Canadian Mint, told CNN this was a first for the Mint. The engineering and research and development teams worked together to create the innovative shape before the design was selected. The Mint reached out to artist Alisha Giroux, who had previously designed a Canadian map with a different animal for each province.

"I remembered that a few years ago, we had a meeting with Ms. Giroux where she had brought in a print of her map of Canada design," Maga said. "I knew at once it would be just perfect."

Giroux told CNN she had designed the Canadian map years ago just for fun so having her design on a coin was surreal.
"I cried happy tears," Giroux said. "I was ready to retire the design, and this was the best send-off I could ask for."
Giroux specializes in wildlife illustration, especially with Canadian animals.

"The map itself, with all its various islands and provincial shapes, often looked like animals to me growing up -- Baffin Island, for examples, looks like a dog on its back, and Newfoundland always resembled a dinosaur," Giroux said.
The limited-edition coin costs a whopping US $260 ($339 Canadian) and was only printed 2,000 times. Maga said the coin costs so much because it's is made from three ounces of pure silver and was difficult to manufacture.

"The coins were struck, and then the edges were finished before the coloured design was applied very carefully to ensure it aligned perfectly with the engraved relief," Maga said.

This isn't the first time the Mint has created unique coin shapes. They have made a variety of different shapes, including squares and the famous maple leaf. They also developed the world's first glow-in-the-dark circulation coins. Maga said Australia is the only other country, to her knowledge, that has designed a coin in the shape of their country.

The coin, titled "The Canadian Landscape," can be found here. https://www.mint.ca/store/coins/3-oz.-pure-silver-coin---the-canadian-landscape---mintage-2000-2019-prod3570042?rcmiid=link

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 oz silver, $260, mintage = 2,000

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

I am not a fan of the Canadian Mint. I used to be until their mike spot problem got out of control. Right now I think the Perth mint is making the best designs.

This new Canadian "coin" is just gaudy.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2019 10:37AM

I cannot sort out my thoughts about Canadian coinage of the last twenty years, except that (1) most of it will go back to the melting pot in the event of a significant precious metals run-up, and (2) it is rare that I want to buy anything they are offering.

But I am not totally immune - I bought one of the St. Lawrence Seaway "coins" recently.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2019 10:59AM

I think my eyebrows just fell off.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

now that's overboard for sure

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you say “Jumped the shark”?

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's not a coin. It's a dirt clod, albeit metal.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    Italy should do this. It would make a fantastic key chain.

Or a bottle opener. :p

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a child's puzzle.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

That thing is NEVER going to fit in my jukebox, Pac-man or payphone!

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hear that Indonesia is doing something similar. A different denomination for each of their islands.
    Lance.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coo-kook-aroo

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that is... different! The obverse is not too bad. That reverse makes my eyes go crossed. I'd give $40 for it ;)

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes!

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many other countries make weird shaped coins... Though this will just be NCLT, I would say it takes it's place among the multitude of weird coinage already out there.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2019 3:10PM

I laughed out loud at top stuffs picture.... Thanks

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Canada produces some of the ugliest “coins.”

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is outright garbage. just like most of their NCLT issues.
    it is nothing but a money grab from the "believers" that this garbage is a good investment.
    you can buy it in a few months for BV... B)

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FranklinHalfAddict said:
    Canada produces some of the ugliest “coins.”

You said this one right! However, They did produce some really great coins before 1967.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

I LOVE maps. For the love of geography. Maybe if this resembled something like it ... but it doesn't. Irregular blobs don't qualify as attractive or anything. Can you say: "POS", as that could be equated with the image with some lowbie national coloring? Their R&D dept needs RENOVATION.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file