Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

SkyMan says: Fifty years ago today Apollo 11; 7/15-24/69. UPDATED 7/24

SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 24, 2019 10:55AM in U.S. Coin Forum

As most of you are aware, this year marks the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon landing. The mission lasted from July 16 - 24, 1969. Over the next 9 days I WILL BE ADDING POSTS TO THIS THREAD with what happened on that day 50 years ago, along with pictures of items from my space collection. I won't necessarily be posting every day, as many of the days 50 years ago were basically coasting/traveling from the Earth to the Moon or from the Moon to the Earth.

IMO what makes the Apollo 11 Moon landing so memorable were that humans were aboard. Over the last decade there have been many 50th anniversaries of robotic Moon landers, but they were either ignored or only briefly mentioned. While I will touch on some of the technical aspects of this mission, the predominate aspect that I wish to write about is the human efforts and the people that allowed Mankind to finally realize it's age old dream of flying to the Moon.

Some of you are probably wondering why I started the Apollo 11 post a day before the mission started. The first and MOST important thing to remember about Apollo 11 is that it wasn't just 3 astronauts going to the Moon. It took a Nation (and Presidential and Congressional leadership) committed to the effort. At it's height in the mid-1960's, the NASA budget took up roughly 5% of the Government budget (just for comparisons sake, NASA's current budget is roughly one half of one percent of the US budget). While there was severe criticism at that time of this spending of the Nation's money, the driving impetus of the Cold War (hence the term, Space Race) kept the funds flowing.

Aside from actually landing men on the Moon, it was a VERY good thing this money was spent on the space program. Because of the necessity of pushing the technological envelope new techniques, materials etc. were created that produced spin-offs that MASSIVELY increased the US' economic competitiveness. It's been a matter of academic debate since the Moon landings, but EVERYONE in the debate agrees that the US economy got FAR more back from the spending than the actual cost of the spending. It's agreed that, at a minimum, the long term effects on the increase in the economy were on the order 5 times the cost, with some people putting it as high as 10 times the cost. Most economists tend to put the increase in the economy at about 7 times the cost.

This massive budget led to a work force on the Moon landing project of roughly 400,000 people. Without each of these people doing their portion of the project to the best of their abilities the landings would not have been successful. As mentioned, I'm interested in the human aspect of this mission. I have been lucky enough to meet many of the workers on the project, as well as many of the astronauts that flew on the missions. One of my favorites was a guy called Don Shields. I was lucky enough to spend many an hour with him working as volunteers at a space museum in Novato, CA., and having food and drinks afterwards.

Don was an Air Force pilot who worked at Grumman, the builder of the lunar modules (LM). Specifically Don was the Grumman consulting pilot on LMs. He started with LM-2, which was universally recognized as having major issues. It eventually became the LM that is displayed in the National Air and Space Museum. Don then worked on LM-5, better known as Eagle. He trained Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin on it's use, as well as being their interface with Grumman on what they would like with regards to LM-5.

As Al Worden, the Command Module Pilot (CMP) of Apollo 15 once told me, "We (the astronauts) weren't nuts. We wanted to get home. We knew we were doing a risky job, but it was a calculated risk. We had hundreds of people like Don who helped to minimize the risk before we set foot in our spacecraft".

On this day, July 15, 50 years ago today, Don's job was to inspect the Eagle nestled inside the third stage of the Apollo 11 Saturn V sitting on the launch pad, to make sure everything was shipshape. He was the last human to touch the Eagle while it was still on the Earth.

Here's a link to an audio recording of Don talking about his job. It's about 25 minutes long.
knowjournal.org/when/2013/07/01/lunar-exploration-memory

Here's a pic celebrating some of Don's accomplishments.

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread idea, Skyman.

The Right Stuff, indeed!

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice write up. Just think if they spent 5% of the total budget today what they might do? I remember as a kid watching all of this unfold on television. As a kid I wanted to be an astronaut; mostly inspired by this event.

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great info and looking forward to the upcoming posts!

:+1:

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a feeling I’m gonna love this thread. I believe these men are “true heroes”. Life certainly would be a lot different w/o them.

Is it okay to add to this thread?

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post, Skyman! I look forward to seeing future enstallments.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:
    I have a feeling I’m gonna love this thread. I believe these men are “true heroes”. Life certainly would be a lot different w/o them.

Bless those of us old enough to have enjoyed it and young enough to remember it.

• Options

@Stooge said:

Yes.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SkyMan....Thanks for a great thread, I look forward to future installments. I have always enjoyed your contributions on this topic. It was a great chapter in American history, and I am glad I was able to see it happen. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2019 4:50PM

Thanks @SkyMan!

Love these space threads!

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you SM.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post. I had model rockets in all corners of my bed room. Model rocketry clubs were in every town it seemed. The Saturn V liftoff, the mission, Watching Neil Armstrong walking on the moon. Adventure took priority over sitting on the sofa and playing it safe. Makes me glad I was born in the 50's

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Following along on Twitter

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who could ever forget ? We were glued to the television.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is an absolutely facinating video for you rocket geeks I came across a few years ago. The video is of the actual launch of Apollo 11 on July 16th, 1968 in Ultra Slow Motion 16mm film with a fact filled Narrator. The video is 9 minutes long but it's a stunning video. BTW, I was about 2 and a half months old at this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPW7ZqtW5U4

Later, Paul.
  • Options

Awesome!

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sy, any chance that you will be able to add Tom Mattingly to that poster?

• Options
    edited July 17, 2019 5:36PM

@PipestonePete said:
    Sy, any chance that you will be able to add Tom Mattingly to that poster?

He's the 6th Apollo astronaut that I was talking about. If a person meets him at the right time and place, he will sign an item for that one person, BUT that is VERY FEW and far between, maybe once or twice a year. Given that I live nowhere near him, the odds are nil. BTW, he goes by his middle name which is Ken.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

PBS TV has been running a great series on this event. I remember as a young lad buying a Revell model kit of the Gemini capsule. Thanks for this thread and related info. Am enjoying it.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tomorrow is July 20. We will be going by Armstrong's home while he was at the Manned Space Center to pay homage..... Ed White's house is next door so bonus time and friends of ours live there now. We expect alot of traffic there tomorrow despite being a quiet neighborhood, maybe even the press. Thank you boys (the Apollo astronauts that is) for bringing me so many great rocks to study.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    CaptMorgansCaptMorgans Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

I still have the small token my Mom got me to remember it.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just finished watching this movie. It is incredible. Comprised purely of high-quality footage of the original event. Not a word of narration. Honestly I'm not into long, boring documentaries but this was amazing. It's available on Amazon Prime and probably other similar services.

• Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome great fantastic post Skyman! Can`t wait to see more!

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember watching it on TV while eating vanilla ice cream with raspberries.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I was thinking of you Sy when I bought this at a yard sale for $1. Lol And it's full of Kentucky Bourbon. :)

• Options
    edited July 21, 2019 12:04PM

50 years ago today, July 21, 1969, the Apollo 11 crew worked on the second part of President Kennedy's goal, "To land a man on the Moon, and return him safely to Earth...". July 21 was a very busy day.

The LM has two main parts called the descent stage and the ascent stage. The descent stage has one engine that produced roughly 10,000 pounds of thrust. After landing on the Moon, the descent stage also functioned as the "launch pad" for the ascent stage. The ascent stage had one main engine for liftoff, that produced roughly 3,500 pounds of thrust. The ascent stage also had 4 quads (e.g. 16 total engines) that were used for attitude control, e.g. pitch, roll and yaw. Each of these engines produced 100 pounds of thrust. The main engine for the ascent stage had to work or the astronauts would be marooned on the Moon's surface. Because of this it used a simple combustion system, where all that was necessary, in essence, was to open two valves to allow two fuels to mix together. These fuels were hypergolic, which means that when they mix they immediately explode. There is NO need to have the equivalent of a spark plug, or anything of that sort.

One thing that most people don't realize is how close to the Eagle Armstrong and Aldrin stayed during their walk. If you put the Eagle a little offset from the 50 yard line, all of the walks of the astronauts would fit inside a football field. When Armstrong and Aldrin planted the American flag it was quite close to the LM. When the ascent stage lifted smoothly away from the Moon's surface it blew over the first American flag planted on the Moon's surface.

The Eagle rendezvoused with the Columbia in orbit. Armstrong and Aldrin transferred back into Columbia, along with assorted items, most notably the Moon rocks. Roughly 2 hours later Eagle's ascent stage was jettisoned. Roughly 5 hours after that, Columbia fired it's 20,500 pounds of thrust engine (which also used hypergolic fuels), and Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins were on their way home.

Here are two pieces from my collection. The first is a picture of the CSM, Columbia taken from the LM Eagle (by Aldrin I believe). There were 6 successful Moon landing missions, and each of them had one CMP who stayed in lunar orbit while his two companions went down to the Moon's surface. I've had this picture signed by 3 of the CMPs. First off is Michael Collins, Apollo XI. The second is Dick Gordon of Apollo XII. He was the Commander of Apollo 18, but unfortunately for him, while he was training for the mission, Apollo 18 got canceled. Dick wrote, "A view that I have not had the pleasure of viewing". The third astronaut is Al Worden of Apollo 15. He had three days alone in the CSM. He wrote, "This photograph shows the best time I had during my flight".

One thing I found particularly amusing when getting this signed was Dick could not remember what the white antenna(?) was that extends from the spacecraft at roughly the 10 o'clock position. At the table next to him was Collins. Dick leaned over and asked Mike what it was, and Collins couldn't remember either. It was fun to listen to them try and figure it out (which they didn't).

Yours truly with Michael Collins.

The second piece is a picture taken by Collins of the ascent stage of the Eagle as it comes in for rendezvous. The Earth is in the background.

• Options

Very important to bring everyone back. If not, then this 50th would have a completely different undertone.

Thanks for all of your informative information AND photographs @SkyMan.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Again, great post.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome post...thanks for the great detail. I was an 8 year old living in Rota Spain at the time and we watched it on Spanish TV. Can still picture the moments in my mind.

You have some wonderful pieces in your collection and thanks as always for sharing!

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you SkyMan. You have a wonderful collection and have reminded us of something we should all be proud of.

• Options

July 24, 1969, the crew of Apollo 11 landed safely back on Earth. Due to concerns about bringing back a potential Moon organism the astronauts had to immediately don biological isolation garments, and were quickly helicoptered to the waiting aircraft carrier, Hornet, where they were installed in the Mobile Quarantine Facility (MQF), a glorified RV, to keep them isolated from humanity. The MQF was landed at Pearl Harbor a couple of days later and flown to Houston, arriving on July 28. The astronauts were kept in isolation for a total of 3 weeks, and then released to the world.

For those of you who have enjoyed this series of posts for Apollo 11, I plan to do a daily series of posts on the 50th anniversary of Apollo 12; November 14 - 24. This is the Apollo mission I got most interested in, and have the most number of pictures, hardware and checklist pages from, as well as a couple of signed $1 bills.

Here's the last Apollo 11 piece in my collection. It's a US flag that traveled on Apollo 11 to the Moon. I keep it displayed in my home next to the political cartoon picture of the Mercury astronauts that are having so many problems trying to get into space that was posted on July 16. The combination of the two symbolizes to me what the USA can do when it puts it's mind to it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file