Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can a bad toned fingerprint be removed with dip in gold plated bronze like this?

GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 14, 2019 7:17PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have never used dip chemicals, but have done submitted medals to PCGS restorations. This medal is not worth the cost, unless I can do it myself first before grading.

Would some product remove most of the fingerprint, or is this basically the way it is now, and I just need to keep looking for a better one? There is also probably some discoloration that might not come off?

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2019 6:48PM

I would start with acetone and/or xylene. An acidic product will attack anywhere that the gold plating is not 100% continuous.

MS-70 might be an option since it is detergent-based, but I don't know if it would mess things up with the bronze substrate, as in my above comment.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said: "I have never used dip chemical but have done PCGS restorations. This medal is not worth the cost unless I can do it myself first before grading.""

Sorry, something does not compute. What exactly do you mean when you write that you have done PCGS restorations. Which coins do you work on - copper?

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    @Goldminers said: "I have never used dip chemical but have done PCGS restorations. This medal is not worth the cost unless I can do it myself first before grading.""

Sorry, something does not compute. What exactly do you mean when you write that you have done PCGS restorations. Which coins do you work on - copper?

I have sent in medals to PCGS for them to restore. gold, silver, and bronze. I think they did not do restoration on the bronze one.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2019 12:38PM

Thanks, I didn't think you conserved coins for PCGS. The prints look "set " on the medal. Coin Care first. Then try MS-70. If not better, STOP.

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would try acetone then ms70. Each on a q-tip with light pressure and roll it don't wipe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try the recommendations above... The problem is, skin oils (fingerprint) are often acidic in varying degrees and they 'etch' the coins surface...now, if that is really pure gold plating, it would not be etched... if not pure gold, then the problem may be permanent....Cheers, RickO

• Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file