Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hypothetical question : Would you dip a silver coin graded UNC details artificial toning.

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lets say it is a silver dollar size coin.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on what it looks like. I’ve seen quite a few that were labeled artificial and then received a straight grade.

There are also some where the color is artificial but it still looks decent. If you dip one of those, it likely will look worse.

Now if it’s a sure thing AT coin that looks ugly, then you might as well give it a try.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe
    How deep is the toning?
    Slightly toned yes, dip that coin!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

The information provided is insufficient.

Why might the coin have been AT’d? To make it look pretty or to cover up flaws? Can you see through it to the surface of the coin? I’ve heard of quite a few positive surprises, as well as negative ones, when people have dipped AT coins.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@U1chicago said:
    Depends on what it looks like. I’ve seen quite a few that were labeled artificial and then received a straight grade.

There are also some where the color is artificial but it still looks decent. If you dip one of those, it likely will look worse.

Now if it’s a sure thing AT coin that looks ugly, then you might as well give it a try.

It is> @MFeld said:

The information provided is insufficient.

Why might the coin have been AT’d? To make it look pretty or to cover up flaws? Can you see through it to the surface of the coin? I’ve heard of quite a few positive surprises, as well as negative ones, when people have dipped AT coins.

Yes you can see through to the surfaces and they are reflective. Not sure why someone would AT a coin like that.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be prepared to find hairlines

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dip every toned coin. Artificial or not.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

What does it look like? Do you agree with the QC/AT designation? Is there any luster underneath the AT? Do we have any clues as to method used (e.g. chemical and type if known versus physical like heat)?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    Be prepared to find hairlines

And/or cleaning.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:
    What does it look like? Do you agree with the QC/AT designation? Is there any luster underneath the AT? Do we have any clues as to method used (e.g. chemical and type if known versus physical like heat)?

No clues as to AT method.

Yes the coin has plenty of luster and surfaces are nicely reflective....
    With a glass I can see some hairlines.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

@cameonut2011 said:

No clues as to AT method.

Yes the coin has plenty of luster and surfaces are nicely reflective....
    With a glass I can see some hairlines.

I'd first try acetone. If that doesn't work try MS70. If that fails, I'd do a small test area with dip before dipping the whole coin.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2019 11:37PM

@bidask said:
    Hypothetical question : Would you dip a silver coin graded UNC details artificial toning.

One issue with this question is that coins are not graded "artificial toning", they are graded "questionable color". There have been numerous examples of coins that were graded "questionable color" at one time that eventually made it into straight graded holders so this is one designation that isn't considered permanent.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the coin. I might dip it or let one of the conservation services do it depending on the coin's value. Can we get a pic of the coin and slab?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said.."Not sure why someone would AT a coin like that."...A couple of reasons, to hide something or for profit....the second being a frequent reason.....Tarnish sells, often for big premiums.... that motivates the con artists. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

When it comes to artificial toning, absolutely I'd dip it.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

depends on whats underneath as feld stated

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jdimmick said:
    depends on whats underneath as feld stated

You won't know until after you dip it. As Clint Eastwood said---"Do you feel luck, punk?" :o

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file