Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gold coin values for a friend: 2.5$ indian, 10$ liberty, 20$, 2 rand

DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 30, 2019 7:12AM in U.S. Coin Forum

A friend of mine has some coins she is looking to sell and is trying to get a honest ballpark estimate on these to have an idea what to try to get. I'm trying to get more/better pics but I have this one so far.

Any value above gold melt here that I can relay back?? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

All common, not in holders and well worn. You would probably get a teensy premium over melt on Ebay, but you would lose that and then some for the Ebay fees.

Great prices paid though.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming they are real you sHould be able to do a quick sale at 98-100% of melt, maybe a little more. Why not try the BST board here?

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably melt for the $10 and $20, and about $230-$250 for the $2 1/2 Indian, if it is real (need better pictures to tell). I assume melt on the Rand, but I don't know those at all.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Melt value.... Slabbing would be an investment that will likely not be recouped....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Melt value.... Slabbing would be an investment that will likely not be recouped....Cheers, RickO

Agree except as @jwitten said for the $2.50 Indian, that is assuming it is real. The $2.50 and $5.00 Indians are probably the most frequently counterfeited US gold coins.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s over $ 2,000 melt if real. Those prices look to good to be true

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have purchased $20 Libs and $10 Libs for less than the prices shown on the 2x2s. And I'm not super old.

Those prices on an older 2X2s are not the automatic sign of a problem.

The 2 rand coin is identical in specifications to a British Gold Sovereign = 0.2354 Troy ounce actual gold weight.

• Options

Thanks everyone for commenting. Once I saw them I was figuring melt but appreciate the extra eyes as none of these are what I shoot for or know anything about.

She got these from her dad I think a good long chunk of time ago. Those flip prices definitely are good I thought!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2019 4:55PM

@jwitten said:
    Probably melt for the $10 and $20, and about $230-$250 for the $2 1/2 Indian, if it is real (need better pictures to tell). I assume melt on the Rand, but I don't know those at all.

As mentioned by jwitten, the $2.50 Indian is worth considerably over melt value on a % basis.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

I was informed that everything but the $20 is for sale. She is not a member here and a few hours away from me (Augusta GA) so I can't get the coins to post/ship myself from the BST. If anyone is interested PM me and I'll put you in contact.

She sent along some more pics.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file