Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Album toning ? ....and another little album find in the v nickel book

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 26, 2019 6:26PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here’s a flat 1913 half from a Whitman. The loose page laid against it and left a reverse image of the text. Original toning...not OK

Comments

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

This same thing happened with several of the blue books that somebody had me look at the other day.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have never seen that effect.....too cool.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well... that would not make me happy... It would require a dip for sure...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... that's a first for me! Would acetone "cure" this? ...a bit less aggressive than ms70...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Letter toning can add a premium to some coins.

I have seen Morgans with letter toning from the canvas bags. They are highly collectible and command strong premiums. Collectors will try to get all the letters to spell out "Dollar" or U.S. Mint etc.

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭

I would leave it as is; gives it character.

imageimage

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had an UNC walker like that and sent it in, and it graded. I traded it to a friend of mine so I don't know the cert number or I'd post it. He also has an UNC 1939 lincoln cent and a circ peace dollar with "transfer toning" as we call it.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

i would leave it alone.

don't dip a coin like that, as it would have absolutely no character afterwards.

i get you don't like it, i would probably not be very happy with that happening either, but what's done is done. enjoy the coin for what it is. look at it as an interesting sort of counter-stamp; a "coin collector's counter-stamp."

-OR-

sell it and get a replacement.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen multiple examples of that kind of toning. It is market acceptable and IMO it is natural toning from being stored in a folder for many years.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s a coin from a collection I’m in the process of buying. Most of the the albums I look at are missing all of the keys. This collection has the 38-D half. The 32-D quarter and this 1885 nickel. It’s not in good shape but hey usually that home is empty.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the reverse gone?

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never seen that effect before. Surprising given the thousands of Whitman folders out there. I think it’s cool, in a way.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the dark stripes on the reverse of those coins from the glue when you pop them out.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file