Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Large Bronze Medals

ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am going through my best friend's late father in law 's boxes of coins, selling them, and will give my friend a check for the proceeds. He has a number of medals, most large and bronze. One is a 100 year memorial of the end of the Civil War, another is for Alaska's admission into the Union as its 49th State, and another commemorating JFK's inauguration.

He also has some foreign medals which have a similar appearance. Re the former, are they worth anything, and where should I go to sell them? I have never seen things like this before.

Thanks in advance for reading this and any advice you may have.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
"Seu cabra da peste,
"Sou Mangueira......."

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Elcontador.... I would suggest some pictures.... These could help the medal collectors identify what you have... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like mid 1960 collector medals that will have minimal value. Of course, we cannot truly tell without photos.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of U.S. medals that were introduced in the 19th century, even the late 18th century, continued to be issued in the 1960s and later. The modern medals have a different surface and are worth far less.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your gonna want to do your homework. I've seem some great medals come out of groups of low value pieces. A quick description and image search to gather medal name and description then a product search will show some idea of value and what pieces merit further research.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file