Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My A.L & N.L MVP Auto Rookie Card Project 1970-2001: IS NOW PUT TO BED!

Comments

• Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭

Very cool project and the graded cards look great in the holders, Bobby. Good luck!

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@paleocards said:
    Very cool project and the graded cards look great in the holders, Bobby. Good luck!

Thanks Andy, it's been a fun project.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options

Here's my newest addition I just got this back from a private signing. Schmidt would not sign inscriptions during this signing.

This was a PSA 6 crack out

3 x N.L. MVP 1980, 81 & 86

• Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭

Amazing project Bobby! Those look great!!

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Bobby, love the centering and eye appeal on the Schmidt.

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome collection! Nice work!

• Options
    edited August 6, 2022 7:19AM

Here's one I just got back from the group sub. I bought this card raw off ebay and sent this to Mr. Parker himself through Pastpros over two years ago.

In 1978 Dave Parker won the N.L. MVP winning the batting crown with .334 average, he homered 30 times, drove in 117 runs and scored 102 times. He also led the NL in Slugging and OPS. He beat out Steve Garvey and Larry Bowa that year. As Parker received 21 of the 24 1st place votes.

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's another great addition Bobby!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a great project. I really like how many you have been able to obtain with the MVP inscriptions.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the progress Bobby! Those look great!

• Options

Awesome collection. You have some very valuable rookie cards here. The Griffey looks great

• Options

Thanks for the nice comments guys. It's been a very fun project.

As a huge Pirates fan, I did at one time have a 1963 Topps Stargell rookie signed by POPS. but like idiot I am sometimes I sold it. I did ask the promoter to have Keith sign this card as Co-NL MVP 1979, but of course he did not.

This was a 8 crack out.
    Here's the 1979 NL CO-MVP Keith Hernandez

• Options

I just got this one back from the recent group sub. Kirk Gibson capped off a fantastic 1988 regular season with one of the most dramatic homeruns in world series history by walking it off against Eck and the A's in game one. This card was a PSA 10 crack out.

1988 NL MVP Kirk Gibson

• Options

This will round out my recent group sub. He opened up Pandora's box with the steroid scandal in the late 90's early 2000's but was a hell of a player during the late 80's to early 90's. He was the first player to ever hit 40 home runs and steal 40 bags.

The Donruss was a pack pull during a 2018 National and I bought a few 86 traded sets as this one came out of one of those sets.

Your 1988 A.L. MVP Jose Canseco

• Options

My most recent pickup

1987 Fleer Barry Larkin
    1995 NL MVP

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I love the fact you are not sending beaters out for sigs. The quality and eye appeal are so nice in your cards.
    What a great project.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2022 8:15PM

Here's another that arrived the other day as I was able to scan it this evening. I decided to go with the Topps instead of UD, Fleer, Score or Donruss reverse negative.

Juan Gonzalez 1996 & 1998 AL MVP

• Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭

Good stuff Bobby. Love this project!

• Options
    edited December 6, 2022 7:21PM

Here's my newest addition to my A.L. N.L MVP project. I just got back my 1982 Topps George Bell auto rookie from a private signing.

Bell beat out Alan Trammell and Kriby Puckett to win the 1987 AL MVP.

I had this card as a kid in the 80's

• Options

Here is my latest MVP auto pickup. 1986 AL MVP & AL CY Young Award winner. I decided to purchase this 1985 Topps already auto graded of Clemens, but this card does not have the MVP inscription. My reasoning is due to Clemens auto & inscription price along with PSA's dual grade / auto price.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice bump on the Schmidt Bobby, and I love seeing the progress of your project.

• Options

Sweet Ichiro Bobby. Who's next?

• Options

@nam812 said:
    Sweet Ichiro Bobby. Who's next?

Not sure Nick, Maybe Pudge Rodriquez or Jeff Bagwell.

• Options

Here's my newest MVP pickup. Jeff Bagwell won the NL MVP award in 1994 during the strike shorten season. Bagwell finished with a .368 average 39 Homers drove in 116 Runs and added 15 steals.

• Options

Looking good Bobby, keep up the good work.

• Options
    edited August 6, 2022 7:22AM

This is my latest pickup to my MVP rookie auto run. This time it's 1996 NL MVP Ken Caminiti. Caminiti was a unanimous winner receiving all 28 first place votes. Caminiti ended the 96 season with a .326 average 40 Home Runs and 130 RBI's and 11 Stolen bases. At least to me his auto is extremely hard to find since Caminiti passed away in 2004 from a cocaine and opiates overdose. I'll eventually have this card moved to a red flip.

• Options

@BPorter26 said:
    This is my latest pickup to my MVP rookie auto run. This time it's 1996 NL MVP Ken Caminiti. Caminiti was a unanimous winner receiving all 28 first votes. Caminiti ended the 96 season with a .326 average 40 Home Runs and 130 RBI's and 11 Stolen bases. At least to me his auto is extremely hard to find since Caminiti passed away in 2004 from a cocaine and opiates. I'll eventually have this card moved to a red flip.

I loved watching him play. Such a sad end.

• Options

I had a very nice mail day as I didn't think I would own this card with the NL MVP inscription since Joe passed away in October of 2020.

Joe Morgan won the NL MVP in 1975 and 76 the height of "Big Red Machine." Morgan became only the second player in NL history at the time to win in back-to-back years. The first was Ernie Banks in 1958 & 1959. Morgan received 21 1st place votes and it wasn't close as the "Bull" Greg Luzinski came in second in 1975. Morgan batted .327, 17 homers, drove in 94 & scored 107 runs. He also walked a league high 132 times with 67 stolen bases.

In 1976 he beat out teammate George Foster for the award. He batted .320, homered 27 times, drove in 111 runs & scored 113 times. He walked 114 times with 60 SB's

A crazy stat that I just realized doing this project. A Reds player from 1970-79 won the NL MVP 6 of those 10 years. Bench (70 & 72), Rose (73), Morgan (75 & 76) and George Foster (77)

• Options

That's a nice pickup Bobby. Glad to see you having lots of progress lately.

• Options

Great Morgan! Congratulations Bobby.

• Options

I added another MVP RC auto this weekend as I received my George Foster as went TTM route. It took only 8 days to receive back from the 77 NL MVP. Foster won the award beating out Greg Luzinski in a very close NL MVP Race. Foster received 15 1st place votes and the "Bull" received 9. Foster hit .320, 52 bombs, drove in 149, scored 124 and slugged a league high .631 to win the MVP in 1977

• Options

Another great autographed rookie Bobby. Luzinski had a great year in 1977, but with Foster's numbers it's hard to believe that the vote was close. Maybe some of the writers were just getting tired of giving the MVP to one of the Reds every season.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kid4hof03 said:
    Another great autographed rookie Bobby. Luzinski had a great year in 1977, but with Foster's numbers it's hard to believe that the vote was close. Maybe some of the writers were just getting tired of giving the MVP to one of the Reds every season.

I just don't see it. Luzinski had a good offensive year, but was horrible defensively at an unimportant position. Schmidt had the same year offensively, but played stellar defense at an important, not key, position. And, Schmidt's team won the division, not finished ten games out like Foster's. I'm not outraged that Foster won over Schmidt, but I am outraged that Schmidt finished tenth!

• Options

The hits just keep on coming. Very nice.

• Options

@daltex said:

@Kid4hof03 said:

I just don't see it. Luzinski had a good offensive year, but was horrible defensively at an unimportant position. Schmidt had the same year offensively, but played stellar defense at an important, not key, position. And, Schmidt's team won the division, not finished ten games out like Foster's. I'm not outraged that Foster won over Schmidt, but I am outraged that Schmidt finished tenth!

I had never looked closely at Schmidt's 1977 season before you mentioned it. You make a really good point!

• Options

Just joined the forums and saw this thread. This is really cool. Do you have an updated list of what you need? Sorry if its posted somewhere and I missed it....

• Options

@daltex said:

I just don't see it. Luzinski had a good offensive year but was horrible defensively at an unimportant position. Schmidt had the same year offensively, but played stellar defense at an important, not key, position. And, Schmidt's team won the division, not finished ten games out like Foster's. I'm not outraged that Foster won over Schmidt, but I am outraged that Schmidt finished tenth!

Foster led the NL in Runs scored, RBI's, Slugging, OPS and HR's. The only thing Schmidt lead the league in that year was WAR at 8.9 and Foster was just below him at 8.4

• Options

@Vermonster said:
    Just joined the forums and saw this thread. This is really cool. Do you have an updated list of what you need? Sorry if its posted somewhere and I missed it....

I appreciate the comment and it's been a fun project. Here's my list. In white is what I still need to complete the set.

• Options
    edited December 6, 2022 7:22PM

I just go this back from a private signing on Saturday with Terry Pendleton. TP won the NL MVP in 1991 for the Atlanta Braves. This one hurts a little for me since I'm a Pirates fan. A lot of people felt that Barry Bonds should have been the MVP that year, but because of his relationship with the media he lost votes. TP had 12 1st place votes and Bonds had 10. Pendleton won the NL batting title with a .319 average, he homered 22 times knocked in 86 runs & scored 94 times. Bonds finished with a .292 average, 25 homers, 116 RBI's, scored 95 times and had 43 stolen bases. Bonds WAR was 8.0, Pendleton's 6.1. In my opinion Bonds should have been the 91 NL MVP.

• Options

@BPorter26 said:
    I just go this back from a private signing on Saturday with Terry Pendleton. TP won the NL MVP in 1991 for the Atlanta Braves. This one hurts a little for me since I'm a Pirates fan. A lot of people felt that Barry Bonds should have been the MVP that year, but because of his relationship with the media he lost votes. TP had 12 1st place votes and Bonds had 10. Pendleton won the NL batting title with a .319 average, he homered 22 times knocked in 86 runs & scored 94 times. Bonds finished with a .292 average, 25 homers, 116 RBI's, scored 95 times and had 43 stolen bases. Bonds WAR was 8.0, Pendleton's 6.1. In my opinion Bonds should have been the 91 NL MVP.

I was a Pendleton fan but agree with you, Bonds should have won in 1991.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done. Great project. For me cards are mostly boring without ink.
    Love the project.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BPorter26 said:

@daltex said:

I just don't see it. Luzinski had a good offensive year but was horrible defensively at an unimportant position. Schmidt had the same year offensively, but played stellar defense at an important, not key, position. And, Schmidt's team won the division, not finished ten games out like Foster's. I'm not outraged that Foster won over Schmidt, but I am outraged that Schmidt finished tenth!

Foster led the NL in Runs scored, RBI's, Slugging, OPS and HR's. The only thing Schmidt lead the league in that year was WAR at 8.9 and Foster was just below him at 8.4

And Schmidt played for a division winner while Foster's team didn't contend. It's not player of the year, but "Most Valuable". As I say, Foster's win isn't outrageous, just not a choice I would have made, but are you seriously suggesting that not only Foster, but also Luzinski, Parker, Reggie Smith, Carlton, Garvey, Sutter, Cey and Simmons were all more deserving than Schmidt?

• Options

I picked this up a few weeks ago and it's the first time I had to share. 1972 Topps Don Baylor signed rookie. Baylor won A.L. MVP award in 1979. He played in all 162 games batted .296, led the A.L. in runs scored with 120 and RBIs with 139. He also added 36 homers. He received 20 of the 28 first place votes. Ken Singleton finished second, George Brett 3rd and Fred Lynn 4th. Lynn had the highest war of any player in 1979 with 8.9

Don Baylor passed away in 2017 at the age of 68. He has a fugly auto.

• Options

With Boog Powell approaching his 81st birthday, I decided to pick up this blue flip RC auto of the 1970 AL MVP without the inscription. Powell homered 35 times, drove in 114 runs while batting .297 for the World Champ Baltimore Orioles in 1970. He beat out Tony Olvia, Harmon Killebrew and Carl Yastrzemski that year. Yaz had the highest WAR of any player in 1970 with 9.5 as Powell finished with 5.1. Powell received 11 first place votes as Olvia received 5.