Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My A.L & N.L MVP Auto Rookie Card Project 1970-2001: IS NOW PUT TO BED!

BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 13, 2023 9:23AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

As a collector sometimes you come to a crossroad with either do I stop collecting all together or do I pick a new project and move forward. I'm not moving forward with my basketball collection as I'm very pleased with the collection that I have amassed over the last several years. I feel every card is a blue chip HOFer minus Sidney Moncrief. I was a huge Sir Sid fan in the 80's thus keeping it in my collection.

But to be honest baseball has always been my passion. I love everything about the game. What I'm going to try to accomplish is collect every MVP in both leagues from 1970-2000. I will have them sign their rookie card with the inscription of the year they won the MVP award. I understand this will be a challenge especially since there's a few deceased players on this list (Stargell, Munson and Caminiti) as well as players that are up there in age Rose (78), Carew (73), Morgan (75), Torre (78) & Bench (71) I will try to personally obtain these autographs myself or get a little help from a few of my friends. I have a few cards in a group sub that I'm waiting on to get back from PSA. (Rickey Henderson 1990 AL & George Brett 1980.)

Here's the first one I got back from a private signing and to be honest I couldn't have been happier with the way the Garvey turned out.

NL 1974 MVP

I saw that PWCC had this Donnie Baseball for auction last week and to be honest I contemplated on if I should buy this or not because of what has been going on with them and the hobby but took the plunge with a leap of faith. I'll be sending it to PSA for a red flip card / auto grade.

AL 1985 MVP

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON

Comments

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool idea. Looking forward to your progress here. Good luck!

Andy

• Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love this project! Good luck with it. I have thought about doing something similar, but rather than the rookie card, actually having the MVP year signed. I hope you continue to update the thread, I'd love to watch your progress.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool project. Very beautiful Garvey and Mattingly.

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kid4hof03 said:
    I love this project! Good luck with it. I have thought about doing something similar, but rather than the rookie card, actually having the MVP year signed. I hope you continue to update the thread, I'd love to watch your progress.

Before I decided to start this project I did contemplate on if I should use the rookie card or the year they won the award. I just like rookie cards better.

• jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BPorter26 said:

@Kid4hof03 said:

Before I decided to start this project I did contemplate on if I should use the rookie card or the year they won the award. I just like rookie cards better.

I agree with the RC choice. If using the MVP YEAR, I would struggle to decide if it should be the card from the year they won so the date matches the trophy year or the following year which actually shows the photo and stats from the MVP season.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like this project Bobby, and you're off to a great start. Have fun with it, and I look forward to following all the success you have.

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are you going to do with a player who has won multiple MVPs like Bonds? Single rookie card with all years represented on the card? Or multiple rookie cards with a single year on each?

Andy

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭✭

Bobby

This is one of he coolest projects ever.

IMO RC are best and has a broader appeal.

That Garvey is off the charts. I am glad you are carrying over your love of high end cards into autos.

When I see an auto on a beater it doesn't do the auto justice.

Generally when a player signed something with multiple inscriptions it makes a better piece
    instead of on year/card.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

@ahopkins said:
    What are you going to do with a player who has won multiple MVPs like Bonds? Single rookie card with all years represented on the card? Or multiple rookie cards with a single year on each?

Andy.... The players that won multiple MVP's I will have them put all the years they won the award on one card. (Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan Dale Murphy, Cal Ripken, Mike Schmidt & Barry Bonds)

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. I haven't been this excited about a project like this in a very long time, It's going to be a marathon and not a sprint for me.

Here's one of the subs that popped last week. I'm now waiting for the Brett to pop.

43536943 Item Grade: NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5
    Auto Grade: Authentic 1980 Topps 482 Rickey Henderson PSA/DNA Certified Card
    43536944 Item Grade: NEAR MINT-MINT 8
    Auto Grade: Authentic 1980 Topps 482 Rickey Henderson PSA/DNA Certified Card

One is HOF and the other is MVP 1990

• thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

Really cool project, Bobby. Looking forward to seeing all your updates

• Halos2002Halos2002 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

Sweet looking Garvey! Good luck with your project.

• RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

Good Luck with the project, It will be nice to see all these cards your going to get done.

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great idea and nice cards!

Shane

I received this from the "Cobra" and I hope to acquire another one next weekend when I'm in Pittsburgh celebrating the 1979 "We Are Family" team.

edited July 24, 2019 2:50PM

I added another Dave Parker to my collection over the weekend as I was present for the Pirates 1979 World Series celebration in Pittsburgh. The "Cobra" who is battling Parkinson's disease didn't really focus on my inscription when I told him to add 1978 NL MVP onto the card instead he wrote 79 B.N.L,. I'm not sure what that stands for, but I wasn't upset at all. I feel awful what he is battling. The silver lining is that I now have a story behind that card.

I just received the Andre Dawson from a private signing from a few weeks ago. I think the Dawson came out quite nice.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BPorter26 said:
    The "Cobra" who is battling Parkinson's disease

I hadn't heard, and wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Loving the theme and your enthusiasm for this project!

edited August 14, 2022 8:10PM

Here’s my newest addition to my MVP project the 2000 A.L MVP Jason Giambi This was a PSA 10 crack out

**Edit for graded card pic

edited August 3, 2019 6:44AM

I just got back from the National and was able to get Rod Carew in person. It was a true pleasure meeting one of the greatest hitters of all-time.

1977 AL MVP - Rod Carew

I had the Jose Canseco’s waiting for me when I got home yesterday from a private signing at the beginning of the month
    1988 AL MVP

• PorkinsPorkins Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Cool idea and great looking cards!

edited August 8, 2019 3:26PM

I received these back today from the National. I was not able to attend the signing for either Reggie Jackson (Saturday), or Jim Rice (Friday) We had to catch our flight at 6:20 so I had to pass on Jim Rice. The funny thing is that I ran into Rice at the airport. We shook hands and we went on our way. Doh!!! :#

1973 (AL MVP) Mr. October

1978 (AL MVP) Jim Rice

edited August 8, 2019 3:25PM

I haven't posted this card since the National ended. I subbed the 84 Topps Mattingly, my dumb ass didn't get the card graded only the auto. I think that was a mistake. I was extremely pleased with the auto grade.

• RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

Cards turned out nice Bobby, Congrats

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭

nice additions there

congrats

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

edited August 5, 2021 3:36PM

I sent this 1981 Fleer Gibson rookie into the Tigers back in May, who were having a private signing with Gibby. I just received the card today. I asked the Tigers to have Gibson sign the card from left to right and below his waist on the card. As you can see he signed it vertical. I was a little disappointment with where he signed it, because Gibson is not cheap. The auto did come out great just not where I wanted it.

This was a PSA 10 crack out. It's at PSA now!!

I've slowed down on my MVP project, but go this one done recently. I asked for the Hernandez to subscribe Co-MVP since he won the award along with Willie Stargell in 1979, but apparently he doesn't like the Co part.

Added two more to my MVP collection

75-Brett This Card was a PSA 5 crack out

80-Rickey was a PSA 8 crack out

• BriYo79BriYo79 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

I love this project and your two newest additions. Just out of curiosity, what are you seeing on on the grade discrepancies on cards you've cracked out and resubmitted?

@BriYo79 said:
    I love this project and your two newest additions. Just out of curiosity, what are you seeing on on the grade discrepancies on cards you've cracked out and resubmitted?

Thank you !! These were the first two I submitted, so I’ll have a better answer when I submit the others.

edited August 14, 2022 8:11PM

It’s been almost two years since I posted on this thread. This has been an ongoing project for me. Here’s a few I recently received back that I wanted to share.

1976 Topps Dennis Eckersley AL MVP 1992 I bought this card raw at my LCS in 2018

1987 Topps Kevin Mitchell NL MVP 1989

**Edited to add graded card pic

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

This is a great project and am glad you’re updating it.

Can I ask a dumb question - when you asked Gibson to sign “left to right”, as opposed to what? Confusion on the alternative could have led to the vertical signing?

Anyways, nice stuff here.

Never saw this thread before, but what a great project Bobby. So do you have a list of who you still need?

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BPorter26 said:

@ahopkins said:

Andy.... The players that won multiple MVP's I will have them put all the years they won the award on one card. (Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan Dale Murphy, Cal Ripken, Mike Schmidt & Barry Bonds)

Don't forget that Yount was a 2X winner, as well, in 1982 and 1989.

@GreenSneakers said:
    This is a great project and am glad you’re updating it.

Can I ask a dumb question - when you asked Gibson to sign “left to right”, as opposed to what? Confusion on the alternative could have led to the vertical signing?

Anyways, nice stuff here.

Greensneakers not a dumb question at all. I like the auto's on my card to be horizontal left to right then vertical top to bottom. Since It was a mail in to the Tigers who were doing the private signing, I felt they didn't follow my instructions that I asked thus Gibson signing where he wanted which was vertical.

@nam812 said:
    Never saw this thread before, but what a great project Bobby. So do you have a list of who you still need?

Nick... I created a spread sheet with who I need in both leagues, but I have come to realization that some guys will not put their MVP inscription on the card and some players are extremely expensive so I'm just going to go with their signed RC as part of my project as well. Mike Schmidt is one of them who will not include the inscription. I'm down to 14 National Leaguers & 16 American Leaguers.

@countdouglas said:

@BPorter26 said:

@ahopkins said:

Don't forget that Yount was a 2X winner, as well, in 1982 and 1989.

Douglas you are correct Yount was a multi winner as well as several others that I left out in my original post (Frank Thomas 93-94 and Juan Gonzalez 96-98) I also left out Don Baylor who won the award in 1979 but unfortunately past away in August of 2017.

edited August 14, 2022 8:12PM

I just got back the Big Hurt a few weeks ago and I think it turned out fantastic!!!

1993-94 AL MVP. I pulled this out of a pack at the 2019 National at the BBCE booth.

**edit for graded card pic

• detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:

The memory is the 2nd thing to go Nick.

• Browns1981Browns1981 Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭

What is your plan for Bonds?

• GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Very impressive. That Garvey is awesome !

@Browns1981 said:
    What is your plan for Bonds?

I already have Bonds, I just don’t have the inscriptions.

@detroitfan2 said:

@nam812 said:

The memory is the 2nd thing to go Nick.

This is why nobody likes you Tom. :D

• samspopsamspop Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭

Awesome project Bobby! It’s been too long, we need to grab a beer! Hope you’re doing well. Still in the NC mountains?

edited July 27, 2021 7:25AM

@samspop said:
    Awesome project Bobby! It’s been too long, we need to grab a beer! Hope you’re doing well. Still in the NC mountains?

It has Mike and we need to next time I’am in Charlotte. I’m still in the foothills.

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the updates! Those are awesome!

Shane

edited August 14, 2022 8:13PM

Here’s another auto I just got back and this one is from Willie McGee himself. I went through PastPros.com to get Mr. McGee.

1985 NL MVP This was a raw card from the set I had as a kid.

edited August 14, 2022 8:13PM

Here's my Fred Lynn that I just received back. Lynn was the first player to win the AL MVP and ROY in the same season which was 1975. This is the 5th player that has his rookie card from the 1975 set win the MVP award. The next player to win both the MVP and ROY was Ichiro in 2001.

This was a PSA 8 crack out

Here's some of the raw that came back graded.

Was a PSA 4 before I cracked out

Was a PSA 7 before I cracked out

Was a PSA 8 before I cracked out

edited August 14, 2022 8:14PM

Since I decided not to attend the National this year, I had a friend who did attend the national last week and he was able to get me these two former MVP's auto's for my MVP run. Thank you again DP for your help.

Dale Murphy NL MVP 1982 & 1983. This was a PSA 7 crack out

Ryne Sandberg NL MVP 1984.
    This was a raw pickup at the 2019 National, I had it graded decided to crack out the PSA 8 for the signing.

• Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great progress Bobby! I really love this project. Thanks for the tip on PastPros.com, had never heard of it but will be using them ASAP.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach

Here’s another A.L. MVP added to the collection. Even though it does not have the MVP inscription it’s still a beauty of a card.

1997 A.L Winner