Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

No "FG" variety - serious question

jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to throw this out there because I'm really unsure about this.

First, let me start with the disclaimer: The Market is King. I never question the Market. If people want to pay a premium for parking lot cents, so be it.

The "FG" variety (among others) could be created by two different means:
1. Polishing of the die removes the FG
2. Grease filling of the FG on the die results in the FG not being struck

Shouldn't the 2nd case, grease filling, be a separate category as the 1st case? And shouldn't the 2nd case be less highly valued, if at all?

I'm thinking about the numerous coins I've seen over the year that are missing a letter or number due to a grease filled die. The smaller the feature, the more frequently this happens. Yet those curiosities have never been highly collectible.

Am I missing something here?

I'm sure @Insider2 will be along shortly to tell me I'm misinformed. :wink:

Comments

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Come to think of it, if the die were sufficiently filled, I don't know how you could tell if it were that or neglected die manufacture. Perhaps Fred might have an idea........

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of them (not all) are from polished dies, I believe.

As far as why a filled die would be worth about the
    same, I would say it's because of the specific area
    of the filled die.

If it's a letter or two, etc., it's almost worthless.

If it's where the designer's initials are, it becomes
    more interesting and collectable, imo.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

there are die markers for this Variety that can be found in the Wiles Book and there is a highly polished "look" that all the coins have. to follow the thinking, there was clearly some reason why the die needed to be polished, perhaps clash. it happened after a relatively large number of coins had already been struck, enough so that all remaining coins are Brilliant with no hint of frost/contrast. also, maybe it's only a coincidence but most grease fills tend to be closer to the rim and not near the center of the coin.

now the error guys can find all the ones near the center and post pictures!! :)

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

First, let me start with the disclaimer: The Market is King. I never question the Market. If people want to pay a premium for parking lot cents, so be it.

Shouldn't the 2nd case, grease filling, be a separate category as the 1st case? And shouldn't the 2nd case be less highly valued, if at all?

I'm thinking about the numerous coins I've seen over the year that are missing a letter or number due to a grease filled die. The smaller the feature, the more frequently this happens. Yet those curiosities have never been highly collectible.

Sorry, but due to the "snark," you'll need to figure it out for yourself and how you can easily tell the difference. :(

• Options

@Insider2 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Sorry, but due to the "snark," you'll need to figure it out for yourself and how you can easily tell the difference. :(

Lol. I know how to tell the difference (die polish) but i'm trying to get a handle on the market sentiment.

• Options
    edited June 20, 2019 2:02PM

Since you posted: "I'm going to throw this out there because I'm really unsure about this."

I took you at your word.

Then I read: "Lol. I know how to tell the difference..."

So why not educate us?

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Since you posted: "I'm going to throw this out there because I'm really unsure about this."

I took you at your word.

Then I read: "Lol. I know how to tell the difference..."

So why not educate us?

You live to nit pick.

If you read the whole OP, I didn't ask how to tell them apart. I asked if the market viewed them differently and why no one cared about other missing letters.

• Options

CLICK!

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    CLICK!

LOL. An excellent retort.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights