Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has anybody noticed a drop in Hammer prices realized on Ebay with more states added on tax collectio

jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just curious if anybody has noticed a drop off of prices realized on ebay sales after more and more states are being added to the list of states being collected for. At first, there were just a few, but several more have been added, and by the end of august a lot more will be. Just wondering if anybody has seen an effect.

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2019 7:27PM

I’m seeing and paying very strong prices on eBay for the recently sold Pennsylvania Cabinet collection and condition census So-Called Dollars. One SCD just sold for 7x its estimate. I don’t think it’s had an effect for the things I collect.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not so far.

I think the phenomenon is too new for people to have factored them in yet. It's still a surprise for most folks, I suspect.

• Options
    IndulgerIndulger Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

No, not yet

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has affected my desire to purchase off of eBay (zero now) when I can still buy from dealers that do not charge me tax. Once I am charged tax, I will be happy with what I have.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have only got the EBay Pennsylvania Tax Notice on non coin or bullion items. Everything else I get the tax popup.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have completely stopped buying items from the "large" bullion dealers. I use to purchase French/Swiss 20 Francs and rolls of ASE's when eBay buck promos were going on. Now that 6.5% sales tax is being collected, that defeats the point, that has come to a screeching halt. I have been going to my LCS and purchasing on various forums more frequently.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you mean that eBay is collecting sales tax even on exempt amounts?
    Plus across state lines in ALL states?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Washington State is exempt(I think I read that here) I have had several sales to there that ebay has taxed. :s

@topstuf said:

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just perhaps the Summer slow-down, I guess.
    I have noticed though, that while I've had to collect NY tax for the past 20 years, I don't have to anymore. Ebay does it......
    I've also noticed that other things that I buy online, not ebay things, I'm paying the tax on. I bought tires yesterday out of NJ. I had to pay NJ sales tax.
    Don't get me started.......

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

So far I've avoided buying tax exempt items on eBay since I'm still not trusting them to get it right. I wonder how they will handle the tax-free weekend that Iowa promotes for clothing items when it's back to school time.

• Options

Will getting a resale permit allow eBay to not charge tax? If so, what’s to prevent everyone from getting one?

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Will getting a resale permit allow eBay to not charge tax? If so, what’s to prevent everyone from getting one?

You need to be a business and not a hobbyist.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Zoins said:

Most collectors sell. What level of selling determines business vs. hobbyist?

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

See the IRS rules on this subject

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2019 10:02AM

Coin businesses buy and sell almost daily.

Hobbyist do not.

Are these hobbyist also collecting sales tax to remit to the state?

Do you have a Business Plan, Fictitious Name, Business Licesnse, etc.?

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Hobbyist do not.

At some point, it might be worthwhile for some to turn their hobby selling into a business, like you did.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Hobbyist do not.

At some point, it might be worthwhile for some to turn their hobby selling into a business, like you did.

Absolutely !!!!

Plus it is a lot more fun :)

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

It does open you up to audit. So that's a consideration.......

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only a pendejo would make a purchase without considering applicable sales tax.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Removing any names, so I do not get in trouble.

I am fascinated with this concept that some people will "shop" with venues or dealers that don't collect sales tax that is legally required.

The law, reviewed and passed by the Supreme Court, says States are allowed to collect sales tax. I may not agree, but that is the law

However, some people are saying "I know it is the law, and the law may have said I should have paid it in the past, but I didn't, and now I do not want to. I will frequent dealers, who do not charge the tax. They know they should, but either they are paying the tax for me (wink wink) or they are also ignoring the law. So, I ignore the law, and want to only deal with dealers that ignore the law. I do not want to deal with the honest dealers.

What could possibly go wrong with a transaction between 2 people that have no problem with ignoring the law.

If you don't like it, vote to change it.

I do have my own business, and do collect sales tax, and do send it to the state as required.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@1peter1223 said:
    I have noticed . Sales on common type coins have fallen off even more . Bullion sales have really slowed . They are all getting hammered with with new charges .

I can only imagine how the large bullion dealers are feeling it .

peter1223: I know from my bidding-on the kinds of coins and bullion coins you mention, having reduced my bids to account for the sales tax-about one increment, I have won almost no coins and zero bullion coins though I have been the underbidder on many. I may just quit altogether until I establish residency in a tax free state. I live abroad and spend little time in the States and cannot see giving all or most of a possible profit on these types of coins to the Governor. I need to check out the tax exempt states and pick one that fits.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Zoins said:

Most collectors sell. What level of selling determines business vs. hobbyist?

@FredWeinberg said:
    See the IRS rules on this subject

Do you file a Schedule C?
    That is a business return.
    If so, then you are a business, and report income & loss that way

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    edited June 20, 2019 9:05AM

Not good especially if summer doldrums here.

Texas - thankfully coins exempt. Sales tax is an expense of any coin business (sch c).

• Options

Seems like this is mostly affecting bullion or near-bullion?

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:
    eBay collecting tax is still better than paying Auction House % Juice + Tax.

A lot of us already paid the house juice and fees .... then list the wares on eBay.

As to the effect of tax online, I haven't noticed lower hammer prices except silver dollars that are seen as junk selling in auction. Selling for $13-$15 keeps taxes relatively low.
    In my tenth year in a B&M joint as compared to nearly 20 years on eBay in coins.... the fun is whining about the market , moreso than coins.

As long as people enjoy themselves.... I'm good.
    Stuff is only worth what someone else is willing to pay. It is what it is.
    And still; each coin stands on it's own merit.
    Taxes and death ! What do they say ?

• Options
    edited June 20, 2019 2:50PM

Lower hammer prices on bay could be summer doldrums / fewer bidders bc on vacation.

This happens every year but good to time buy.

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

The same occurs for any tax or fee after purchase. After GC increased their fee to 12.5%, I take that into account when bidding; this should reflect in hammer prices.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Seems like this is mostly affecting bullion or near-bullion?

It shouldn't be. A lot of states have bullion exemptions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file