Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Shout out to the Fairfax Coin Club and their "Book Night" theme

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 14, 2019 11:15AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Thursday evening (June 13) the Fairfax Coin Club held a "Book Night" theme meeting. Members were given the opportunity to make advance purchases of a range of new books at 1/2-price and also earn credits for free books. I counted more than 50 members present (might have been more but one gentleman's bald pate kept blinding me), and some purchased up to 10 books !

This was both an unusual club activity and one that was of real interest to members young and old. Special credit goes to Daryl Haynor for organizing the event, club officers for handling orders and distribution, and Wayne Herndon (Wizard Coin Supply), and Stacks-Bowers for supplying books for sale and as free premiums. Each YN in attendance also got a selection of free books!

This was all in addition to the usual coin auction, an old book auction and a silent auction.

Congratulations to participants and club officers for doing an outstanding job of planning, organization and looking for innovative ways to engage members in coin collecting.

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info/update @RogerB. The books are a definite need in this hobby and thank you @RogerB for being an author to many informative books.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good stuff!

:)

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course, in RogerB fashion, he humbly left himself out of the night's highlights. He was a draw to the members as he volunteered his time to autograph the numerous copies of his books that were sold at the meeting. Some members called the meeting the best in our brief period of existence. I encourage other clubs to give this serious consideration for one of your future meetings. It was a huge success. PM me if you would like to discuss (I am a club founder).

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Roger for signing my copy of from Mine to Mint and chatting with me about mercury and cinnabar.

• Options
    edited June 15, 2019 8:10AM

jgenn - A pleasure to meet you and enjoyed our discussion. I hope the section about the "patio process" and references to contemporary sources will aid your exploration of Spanish colonial coinage.

[See John C Freemont's "Exploring Expedition to the Rocky Mountains" p427 et al, and "Memoirs of William T. Sherman" pp41-42 et al for additional descriptions of obtaining mercury in California. A couple of letters and a Bankers' Magazine article relating to this are attached.]

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, thanks for attending, Roger, and for signing my book. It was a pleasure to meet you. And for not a lot of money, I walked away with as many books as I could carry. This is a well-run club.

Tom

• Options

Credit all of the club officers and organizers for thinking through the "coin club" concept, and making it successful.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sounds like a fantastic club meeting.... Wish we had such an organization here.... Thanks for the report @RogerB...almost like a show report....Cheers, RickO

• Options

I want to emphasize that this and other meetings I've attended have a very mixed age and interest profile. Club organizers have evidently touched ways to appeal to a broader cross section than just "old guys."

Some forum members might contact FFCC and ask what they did and are doing, and how the ideas can benefit existing clubs or organization of new clubs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file