Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Longacre's description of his $3 gold coin design options.

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is Longacre's transmittal letter for two sets of designs for the new $3 gold coin. The drawings are not with the original letter.

Mint of the U. S.
Philadelphia

August 4, 1853

Col. J. R. Snowden,
Director of the Mint

Dear Sir,
As requested, I have made the accompanying designs for the Three dollar gold coin (provided for by the recent Act of Congress), and to be submitted to the Secretary of the Treasury if after inspection, you consider them suitable.

It may not be improper at the same time, to explain my intention, in the peculiar characteristics of the drawings.

The first obverse marked A, is intended to present an ideal female head, with the feathered cincture representing America; the word Liberty appearing on the fillet or headband; surrounded as usual with the thirteen stars as the expressive and adopted emblem of the United States.

The second obverse marked B, is simply a new drawing of the Roman head of Liberty, of similar character to that of the other gold coinage in use; varied, only in detail.

The first reverse, marked A, presents the National Shield, surrounded by a wreath indicating the more prominent agricultural products of the Union, i.e., corn, wheat, cotton and tobacco; bounded by the inscription and denomination of the coins.

The second reverse marked B, presents a similar wreath and inscription, leaving out the shield, and substituting in the centre, the denomination.

I think it important that the character of the coin should be varied from those already in use, especially from the quarter eagle, which it must approximate in size very closely. This consideration appears to me to justify the decided change suggested by my designs for the reverse, in leaving off the eagle, etc.

Very respectfully yours, etc.
James B. Longacre, Engraver of the Mint

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB....Assuming you have seen the drawings (presumptuous perhaps), how do they vary from the final coins? If at all.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

The drawings were not with the letter. I have not seen them.

• Options
    edited June 14, 2019 11:17AM

PS: Issue #4 of Journal of Numismatic Research includes an article about the origin of $3 gold coins. The other day, I came across the letter posted above. If any forum members purchased JNR #4 and would like a copy of the original Longacre letter and transcription, please PM me with your email so I can send a copy.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obv. A sounds like the adopted obverse but with stars. I would guess that rev. A had the shield from the Trime.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just purchased JNR #4 two days ago, and would appreciate a copy of the letter. I have JNR#4 packed in my bag for vacation reading the next couple of weeks.

Interesting how the meaning of certain words have changed. Mint personnel used "cincture" and "fillet" at least twenty years prior, but they do not have the same meaning as recognized today.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options

Copy and transcription sent.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file