Comments

• esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing. Interesting a data. A little hyperbole in the title, but it could help draw additional eyeballs.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Rttrffg2012Rttrffg2012 Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

I think Ripken is the biggest surprise to me.

I like Ripken and I wish he was still a high-end superstar.

His junk wax years don’t sell. His low-end inserts don’t sell. His raw rookie card has gone down in value every year. His high-end stuff will never be what it was a decade ago.

And I have seen a few articles in the past few years on his “average abilities” throughout his career.
    (This I do not agree with- he was supernaturally gifted for many years)

• Very little of the 80's stuff will ever be what it was. There is some nice stuff to collect but from a investment standpoint it makes no sense to throw good money at bad.

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭✭

Ken Griffey. Despite his rookie card being produced in 1989 during the junk wax era of grossly overproduced issues nobody threw away, he is the most “collected year-over-year player.” His Cooperstown induction in 2016 spiked sales by 32%. In 2018, sales jumped another 42%.

Yes, bidding is very competitive with Griffey. Interesting list, not too many surprises.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2019 11:07AM

I’m not sure which criteria they used, but nonetheless I think “upend” is a gross overstatement. Basically click bait. The only name on the list I thought was even a mild surprise was Rivera. Otherwise, people collecting Griffey, Mantle and Ruth cards?? Say it ain’t so!!!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting:
    1964 & 68 Venezuelan Topps
    1974 Topps Red Sox
    Andre Tippett

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    The only name on the list I thought was even a mild surprise was Rivera.

Newest Yankee HOFer surprises me less than Ozzie Smith. The fact there were two SS in the top 10, even more so.

@LarkinCollector said:

@DBesse27 said:

Newest Yankee HOFer surprises me less than Ozzie Smith. The fact there were two SS in the top 10, even more so.

Do you feel like the hobby has been upended?

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting:
    1974 Topps Red Sox
    Andre Tippett

@DBesse27 said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@DBesse27 said:

Do you feel like the hobby has been upended?

Somewhat, but nothing to do with this article in particular ;)

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

How is Hank Aaron not on that list?! :o

Or Jeter for that matter, certainly over Rivera

@maddux69 said:

Three SS in the top 10 would be pure insanity.

@LarkinCollector said:

@maddux69 said:

Three SS in the top 10 would be pure insanity.

Bye Ozzie!

• olb31olb31 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭

@Bharris said:
    Very little of the 80's stuff will ever be what it was.

That includes me

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • So, is this list based on gross dollar sales for each player, or number of cards sold?

If it's gross dollar sales, how does Ozzie Smith beat out Sandy Koufax and Roberto Clemente? Many more Smith cards sell, but Koufax and Clemente sell for FAR more and sell briskly.

If it's number of cards sold, how does Babe Ruth beat out Derek Jeter? Ruth cards are almost all high-dollar, but there is a small fraction of Ruth cards out there compared to Jeter's.

DesertIceSports.Com

It appears to be number of cards sold, but not sure how lots are treated. There's 7,509 Ruth cards in Beckett vs. 17,698 for Jeter. I'm guessing there's a lot of post-career Ruth's that sell as singles.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

This isn't the only Forbes article on cards today. There is another pretty much aimed right at PSA. I'm not going to post the link here but a simple PSA cards search on their site will get you to it.

Eric

• @LarkinCollector said:
    It appears to be number of cards sold, but not sure how lots are treated. There's 7,509 Ruth cards in Beckett vs. 17,698 for Jeter. I'm guessing there's a lot of post-career Ruth's that sell as singles.

Yeeah, it seems like eBay didn't use one single method to arrive at this list... Knowing eBay, they asked their employees who their favorite players were and used that.

DesertIceSports.Com

• PADIdiverPADIdiver Posts: 127 ✭✭
    edited June 13, 2019 1:00PM

Looks like they used a proprietary algorithm with variables such as sales, search, cards for sale, etc so it would be hard for us to replicate their list

From eBay and the article: "“The list includes 10 legends whose trading cards have held the highest value and had the greatest influence on baseball’s cards and collectibles world. Inductees were selected based on more than a decade’s worth of proprietary sales and search data, and represent every era of the last century of baseball, from Babe Ruth to Pete Rose, and beyond.”"

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 972 ✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2019 1:09PM

Chuck hustle made the list. Not too surprised about Ripken because he's got the Ironman record. Ozzie has all the golden gloves, but a little shocked to see him on the list. I thought Hank Aaron would be on the list too.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 972 ✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2019 1:18PM

I must say, I'm shocked.......no wait a minute.......... hurt, that Dave Kingman isn't accounted for on this list.

Dave Kingman= the greatest dang hitter that ever lived.

• LGCLGC Posts: 37 ✭✭

Personally, as a fan, I would put Reggie Jackson and George Brett ahead of both Rivera and Ripken Jr. And definitely don’t understand why Aaron or Clemente did not make the list just based on their achievements?!

• TomiTomi Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

@Rttrffg2012 said:

His junk wax years don’t sell. His low-end inserts don’t sell. His raw rookie card has gone down in value every year. His high-end stuff will never be what it was a decade ago.

And I have seen a few articles in the past few years on his “average abilities” throughout his career.

@Rttrffg2012 said:

Ripken minor league cards are on a whole other level. Just too much 80's stuff in high grade out there but his rare Charlotte O's orange and blue cards are some of the most expensive cards from that era.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoyed seeing Stan Musial make the list. On/off the field a true gentleman.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit

@LGC said:
    Personally, as a fan, I would put Reggie Jackson and George Brett ahead of both Rivera and Ripken Jr. And definitely don’t understand why Aaron or Clemente did not make the list just based on their achievements?!

Because on field achievements are not part of this equation. Popularity only is part of it indirectly, as popularity affects card sales. This is an article purportedly based on sales data and nothing like a “ten greatest players” list

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting:
    1974 Topps Red Sox
    Andre Tippett

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭✭

I may have missed something but I probably have to call BS on this. If they are only talking HOF'ers, then ok. But just cards in general over the last decade, there is no way, in dollars or quantity, that Trout would not be on the list. You look at the quantity and dollar amount just on completed listings and it is more than 10x that of Ozzie Smith. I can probably name 50 other players that have more sales than him over the last decade. I would like some more insight into how they figured this.

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭

Felt like a puff piece for PWCC and their index rather than analytics and many collectors on here would question the info and analysis. Ozzie and Cal over Aaron and Clemente and Koufax - highly doubt it. Seems to me they are trying to create markets for cards rather than write the news.

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭

Puff piece is the key word. Another PR piece.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:
    Felt like a puff piece for PWCC and their index rather than analytics and many collectors on here would question the info and analysis. Ozzie and Cal over Aaron and Clemente and Koufax - highly doubt it. Seems to me they are trying to create markets for cards rather than write the news.

Correct. Just another article promoting PWCC.

Dane

• It sounded to me like it was based on total sales over a period of time. I totally get Mantle but I am surprised the older players are even on there. There is way more volume on newer cards than the older guys. No way players like Ozzie or Clemente of Koufax are in the top sales figures for Ebay. I would guess more of the younger collectors couldn't even tell you who they played for. I am guessing cards in general Brady has had the largest amount of sales dollars or totals over everyone the past 5 years or so.

• markj111markj111 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

@esquiresports said:
    Thank you for sharing. Interesting a data. A little hyperbole in the title, but it could help draw additional eyeballs.

A lot of hyperbole in the title.