Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

John Albanese - CoinWeek Podcast: “Talking CAC Coins and Future of Grading”

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 7, 2019 10:37AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I found what John Albanese (CAC) discussed in the following CoinWeek👇Podcast on Coin Grading to be very enlightening and informative and am pleased to share it with my fellow Forum Members!!😁

In this episode of the CoinWeek Podcast, Editor Charles Morgan talks with Certified Acceptance Corporation (CAC) President John Albanese about a number of topics that will prove to be highly interesting to even the most seasoned numismatist.

Charles asks John to explain the grade of MS-62. John proposes that the current grading system has Too Many Grades, and over the course of this 30 minute program Charles and John discuss the way the market is and what, with the benefit of hindsight, could have been done better had the major grading services understood what John and others have come to realize about the 70-point grading system.

It’s an enlightening and exciting conversation with one of the hobby’s most fluent and articulate market makers. You won’t want to miss it!

”Talking CAC Coins👇the Future of Grading with John Albanese”

https://youtu.be/WDBaogB0aO0

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

THANKS!!!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the link... very interesting. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a text link?

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2019 9:01AM

Is there a text link?

:o

• Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

RE:
    One question I have is does anyone know who are shareholders of CAC...

I do not know, but my "recollection" from the time of the original CAC announcement(s) is that Laura Sperber and Doug Winter were founding sponsors.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the link, I enjoy hearing his thoughts and comments on the market and what and who CAC is. Years ago when CAC was just getting established JA did a few phone roundtable discussions where folks could call and ask him questions about CAC and what that service was all about. I was fortunate enough to be able to participate in a few of those discussions and learned a lot from them.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:
    Very interesting.
    He said at 20:15 that he thinks a + coin is an A coin.
    I thought a + coin was a 1/2 coin

Another JA quote....(near the end)
    "If crack-out dealers like CAC...we have a big problem".

I'm starting to like this guy more after hearing him speak.

Well, when you can crack out PQ coins with a green sticker, upgrade the coins a point, and get them restickered, what's not to love? It's more common than you think.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2019 4:11PM

Thanks for sharing the link. It was very interesting listening to his thought's on the grading system and how CAC looks at coins and the effects on the market today.

Donato

Edited for spelling.

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2019 11:35AM

I thought this may be an opportune time to Reference my following👇Forum Thread...

“50 Years of Numismatic Collecting Experience - Grading Changes, Thoughts & Perspectives”

Web Link: 👉 https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1019606/50-years-of-numismatic-collecting-experience-grading-changes-thoughts-perspectives

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2019 12:01PM

WOW, I almost feel asleep when JA started talking about MS62 coins. :/

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2019 1:15PM

@Elcontador said:
    The proliferation of grades between MS 60-MS 70 I believe was strictly for the marketing of coins to collectors, and to a lesser extent, the public. It used to be an unc., a BU, and the 1 in 100 coins which were head and shoulders about the rest were called BU 'gem.' The latter term was hideously overused in attempt to justify unreasonable markups on attractive coins.

I'd be fine with a 60, 63, 65, and a very occasional 67. Same thing happened with AU. I'd go with an AU 50 and 55.

I think it's more honest, but it's not going to happen.

Can't give up the MS64. Often, that is a 65 priced much lower.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 9, 2019 2:46AM

@ARCO said:

@Elcontador said:
    The proliferation of grades between MS 60-MS 70 I believe was strictly for the marketing of coins to collectors, and to a lesser extent, the public. It used to be an unc., a BU, and the 1 in 100 coins which were head and shoulders about the rest were called BU 'gem.' The latter term was hideously overused in attempt to justify unreasonable markups on attractive coins.

I'd be fine with a 60, 63, 65, and a very occasional 67. Same thing happened with AU. I'd go with an AU 50 and 55.

I think it's more honest, but it's not going to happen.

Can't give up the MS64. Often, that is a 65 priced much lower.

In my ever humble interpretation of the video, that is JAs point. So why have a faux numerical discrimination?

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet 58’s Stuart !

• Options
    edited June 9, 2019 2:45AM

@Stuart said:
    I agree with John Albanese’s following quote (courtesy of @ElContador) with the exception that I find significant value in assigning the AU-58 grade to Truly Borderline Mint State Coins that may not Technically Merit a Mint State Grade, but have as much (or Higher) Eye Appeal and Flash with Very Light High Point Frictional Rub and/or Minimal Open Field Luster Breaks. (See Examples👇Below)

Why couldn't those be 55s? The coins would look exactly the same.

In my humble interpretation of the video, JA's point is that the more minor discriminations you attempt to make, the more confusing it gets to the coin collecting public when they try to let the numbers do the discriminating instead of their eyes.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool, so all Plus graded coins will get a CAC sticker!!

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

@thebigeng said:

...if JA agrees they are plus.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebigeng said:

Nope. I have had plusses that did not..........

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmmmm...

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought one of the interesting points he made was that before CAC, he could buy a large percentage of the coins he liked out of auction but now that those same coins are stickered, he has a difficult time buying coins. Gave example that he will bid $2 million in an auction and end up spending $40,000.
    As I have always thought, CAC has done a lot of good but there have been unintended consequences.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@breakdown said:
    I thought one of the interesting points he made was that before CAC, he could buy a large percentage of the coins he liked out of auction but now that those same coins are stickered, he has a difficult time buying coins. Gave example that he will bid $2 million in an auction and end up spending $40,000.
    As I have always thought, CAC has done a lot of good but there have been unintended consequences.

The auction example isn't an unintended consequence, I think it was more the point. What he's saying is that his eye allowed him to cherry pick auctions but once he "stuck his eye" on the slab, he's bidding against himself and can't win.

jmlanzaf---in all three your posts you state what JA's point is. Are you basing your opinon off the interview everyone can listen to or other interviews, articles, etc that JA has been involved in?

• Options
    edited June 9, 2019 2:44AM

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@breakdown said:

The auction example isn't an unintended consequence, I think it was more the point. What he's saying is that his eye allowed him to cherry pick auctions but once he "stuck his eye" on the slab, he's bidding against himself and can't win.

jmlanzaf---in all three your posts you state what JA's point is. Are you basing your opinon off the interview everyone can listen to or other interviews, articles, etc that JA has been involved in?

The posted interview. Some of the comments here seem to have failed to listen to it and are only commenting on excerpts.

For example the 64/65 and 58 issues. JA was pretty clear in discussing why he thought fewer were better

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@breakdown said:

JA himself says in the interview that not being able to buy coins at his price point was something that he did not forsee.

• Options

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@breakdown said:

JA himself says in the interview that not being able to buy coins at his price point was something that he did not forsee.

Yes, I suppose you could call that an unexpected result. But he really should have foreseen it. He's certifying at auction the very coins he wants to buy, so he's bidding against himself. I'm not sure why that surprised him since the whole point of the CAC sticker was to label the cream of the crop as the cream of the crop.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@breakdown said:

The posted interview. Dinne of the comments here seem to have failed to listen to it and are only commenting on excerpts.

For example the 64/65 and 58 issues. JA was pretty glib in discussing why he thought fewer were better

Nah - I listened to the whole thing. John Albanese specifically said that the "dynamic" of not being able to buy CAC coins from dealers or out of auction was something "I really didn't foresee."

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    edited June 8, 2019 4:16PM

@breakdown said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@breakdown said:

The posted interview. Dinne of the comments here seem to have failed to listen to it and are only commenting on excerpts.

For example the 64/65 and 58 issues. JA was pretty glib in discussing why he thought fewer were better

Nah - I listened to the whole thing. John Albanese specifically said that the "dynamic" of not being able to buy CAC coins from dealers or out of auction was something "I really didn't foresee."

Yes, I know. But that was really silly of him. The whole point of the sticker is to put the JA seal of approval on it. You can't cherry pick yourself.

I wasn't referring to you as one who hadn't listened. I was more referring to the lovers of 58s and 64s.

I didn't even mean to appear to disagree with what you were saying other than, while he may have been surprised at pricing himself out of the market, he can't claim that moving the auction needle was unintended. It was the whole point of creating CAC: label premium material as premium.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2019 4:54PM

deleted

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2019 4:00PM

@ColonelJessup said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@breakdown said:

Glib :'(
    If you were better at being a troll, you might be despicable.

I didn't mean glib as an insult, poor choice of words. I meant he stated it fluently. His reasoning was pretty clear.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@breakdown said:

Yes, I suppose you could call that an unexpected result. But he really should have foreseen it. He's certifying at auction the very coins he wants to buy, so he's bidding against himself. I'm not sure why that surprised him since the whole point of the CAC sticker was to label the cream of the crop as the cream of the crop.

i like how you mistakenly correct @breakdown and then state what JA "really" meant. Then when it is pointed out to you that you are incorrect, you seem to tell us that JA should have known what would happen in 10 years.

• Options

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@breakdown said:

i like how you mistakenly correct @breakdown and then state what JA "really" meant. Then when it is pointed out to you that you are incorrect, you seem to tell us that JA should have known what would happen in 10 years.

Thanks. I appreciate the compliment.

I wasnt intending to "correct" breakdown, I was trying to elaborate. Whether JA foresaw it or not, it isn't exactly an "unintended consequence ". The whole point of CAC was to label premium material as premium. If that did not move the auction needle, the exercise would have been futile.

• Options

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@breakdown said:

And your dislike of me may trump your love of JA, but we should be in agreement here. The whole point of CAC was to change the perceived value of certain coins. The increase in auction prices was completely expected. It may have gone farther than JA thought do that he priced himself out of the market, but the auction price increase was the intended consequence of the sticker.

• Options
    edited June 8, 2019 4:53PM

How about you delete your "glib" and I delete my "despicable"?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@breakdown said:

I wasnt intending to "correct" breakdown, I was trying to elaborate. Whether JA foresaw it or not, it isn't exactly an "unintended consequence ". The whole point of CAC was to label premium material as premium. If that did not move the auction needle, the exercise would have been futile.

Again JA states the idea of CAC was to identify "A" and "B" " coins. Not to label "premium material."

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@breakdown said:

And your dislike of me may trump your love of JA, but we should be in agreement here. The whole point of CAC was to change the perceived value of certain coins. The increase in auction prices was completely expected. It may have gone farther than JA thought do that he priced himself out of the market, but the auction price increase was the intended consequence of the sticker.

i dont dislike you but you make alot of statements that in my opinion are incorrect and sometimes i point them out.

• Options

@Gazes said:

re why that surprised him since the whole point of the CAC sticker was to label the cream of the crop as the cream of the crop.

Again JA states the idea of CAC was to identify "A" and "B" " coins. Not to label "premium material."

Again, call it what you want. It is "premium for the grade", if you prefer that verbiage. Take away the CAC and all 66s are created equal. Add a CAC and the 66 is "premium for the grade" and therefore worth a premium bid. That is what happened and it is the whole point of separating the A&B coins from the C coins. That's why he roughly equates a "+" to the CAC

• Options
    edited June 8, 2019 4:28PM

@ColonelJessup said:
    deleted

Dude, I'm very tired today and pulled the wrong word - which I have corrected.

I defer to you as King of the Trolls.

Not sure why you've gone after me lately, but bring it on faux Colonel.

• Options
    edited June 8, 2019 4:26PM

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@breakdown said:

i dont dislike you but you make alot of statements that in my opinion are incorrect and sometimes i point them out.

No, you've gone beyond that here. You pay premium prices for CAC coins. You only collect CAC coins. When I call CAC coins premium, you correct that to "A or B" coins. That is nit-picking on an atomic scale.

You may edit these words to whatever suits you but the sentiment should be: CAC coins are premium coins and get premium prices.

As you are the recognized King of CAC in these here parts, I really don't know why you would correct that.

[I would also add that I'm probably the second biggest defender of CAC on these boards, so I'm not sure why you are picking this fight.]

• Options
    edited June 9, 2019 2:43AM

@ColonelJessup said:
    Perhaps @CaptHenway will explain gormlessness :#

No need, I have a search engine.

• Options

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

of the crop as the cream of the crop.

I would also point out that in the 1st 4 minutes, JA refers to "A" coins as "PQ" which is, of course, short for "premium quality"

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I would also point out that in the 1st 4 minutes, JA refers to "A" coins as "PQ" which is, of course, short for "premium quality"

i disagree the A and B vs premium distinction is nit picking. There is alot said about CAC and i think it is important to be accurate. A Coin that is B and solid for the grade gets a green sticker---that is different than being a premium coin.

Yes I am a defender of CAC and am glad to hear you are too. I do on occassion look at non cac coins. I just bid on one---it was super rare and i spoke to someone i highly respect who confirmed to me that the coin was original (very important to me) and why it probably did not CAC. i decided to bid on it but didnt win it.

i would love to explain my evolution in buying primarily CAC coins but quite frankly it would probably upset alot of people. Therefore, i do what is best for me and what I like but respect others who want to collect differently. I do enjoy CAC threads (like this one) because i often learn something.

• Options
    edited June 8, 2019 5:21PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

"A" coins are not premium quality for the technical grade. They have powerful eye appeal.

Please shut up and I will delete my "please shut up", but please shut up.

What special gift do you believe yourself to have for explication that JA does not?

Gormless :o:'(:*

• Options
    edited June 8, 2019 5:16PM

Directly Quoting from the CAC web site:

“For many years, coin dealers and advanced collectors have used the letters A, B, and C among themselves to further describe coins.

C indicates Low-End for the grade, B indicates Solid for the grade, and A indicates High-End.

CAC will only award stickers to coins in the A or B category.

C coins, although accurately graded, will be returned without a CAC sticker.”

Also, According to John Albanese:

Coins that are Definitely Undergraded -- and would receive at least a Green Sticker in the Next Higher Grade -- are bestowed Gold Stickers.

Stuart

• Options

hich is, of course, short for "premium quality"

i disagree the A and B vs premium distinction is nit picking. There is alot said about CAC and i think it is important to be accurate. A Coin that is B and solid for the grade gets a green sticker---that is different than being a premium coin.

Yes I am a defender of CAC and am glad to hear you are too. I do on occassion look at non cac coins. I just bid on one---it was super rare and i spoke to someone i highly respect who confirmed to me that the coin was original (very important to me) and why it probably did not CAC. i decided to bid on it but didnt win it.

i would love to explain my evolution in buying primarily CAC coins but quite frankly it would probably upset alot of people. Therefore, i do what is best for me and what I like but respect others who want to collect differently. I do enjoy CAC threads (like this one) because i often learn something.

I think you explained it sufficiently elsewhere.

I am not "CAC only", but I will pay the CAC premium especially for sight unseen coins.

AGain, you can call it what you will "superior for the grade" "premium for the grade". The point remains. JA wanted to separate the "A/B" coins from the rest and makes no bones about the fact that he felt the C coins were holding down prices. [JA himself refered to the A coins as PQ.] To that extent, the increase in value of CAC coins was intentional (in my humble opinion) and not an accident. But, however.

Maybe I'll just start every post with IMHO

• Options
    edited June 9, 2019 2:42AM

I would also point out that in the 1st 4 minutes, JA refers to "A" coins as "PQ" which is, of course, short for

yawn...deleted

• Options

I liked my explanation better, even if I was wrong. Actually, JA grew up 25 miles north of me in Flemington, and pronounces "A" differently than I do. @Stuart seems to have a better ear than eye do :p

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file