Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What Do You Think Series: 1892-O Barber Quarter FS-901 Clashed Dies PCGS AU58

seduloussedulous Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 16, 2022 5:47AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Thank you everyone for your previous comments on the 1919-D Standing Liberty quarter that was found in the raw then graded as PCGS MS63 FH. Here is another choice uncirculated specimen of a Barber Quarter from New Orleans - 1892. For FS-901, population per our hosts comprise of AU55 (3), MS63 (1), and MS64 (1). Thanks in advance for thoughts and comments:

Due to the clashing, it seems more difficult to ascertain a grade for this piece.

• Tim

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

Comments

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

From those photos it looks AU. The strange/soft strike could be helping to give it a more worn look. Surfaces look dipped/cleaned to some extent. Doesn't give me the wholesome vibe and would never think choice unc from these photos. No idea on the "rarity" or desirability on this variety....never gave much thought to clashed Barber quarters in the past as many had them.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

The host coin surfaces seem over dipped and the clash is all this has going for it.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

From those photos it looks AU

Ugghhh. I hate trying to take pictures with my cell phone.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first picture shows a lot of horizontal hairlines on the face, so I would be inclined to say AU55-MS61. I can't put my finger on actual wear. The reverse die is a bit messed up from the clash, with the fields looking a bit sunken around the peripheral lettering. This will affect the strike on the reverse at places like the eagle's knuckles.

Cool clashing!

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sure that it looks far better in hand.

My cell phone pix suck also

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had two of these attributed, including the top pop MS64. I think that it is a cool variety, but I really like varieties.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

So the FS-901 designation is the die clash? Having observed (online) how many problems New Orleans seems to have had during the Barber era, I would hesitate to weigh in on a grade opinion, particularly a far as "overdipped" or whatever. I've seen (again, online) quite a few dimes with weird luster and/or extremely weak/flat strikes that straight graded MS.

• Options
    edited June 17, 2019 9:53PM

@kbbpll said:
    So the FS-901 designation is the die clash? Having observed (online) how many problems New Orleans seems to have had during the Barber era, I would hesitate to weigh in on a grade opinion, particularly a far as "overdipped" or whatever. I've seen (again, online) quite a few dimes with weird luster and/or extremely weak/flat strikes that straight graded MS.

I guess I will have to send it in and we will see... with True View imaging. I will report back here when done.

The die clash seems more noticeable from the front of the nose to the chin-neck area. Any other favorite pick-up points?

• Options

The 1892-O Die Clash quarter is being graded right now by our hosts here in January/February 2020. Will post True View images along with the grade when completed.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks AU55/58 to me and overdipped/washed out.
    But good luck with it! :)

• Options

Considering your comment:

@sedulous said:

From those photos it looks AU

Ugghhh. I hate trying to take pictures with my cell phone.

I'd say 62, there is too much chatter on the face & cheek for a higher grade, me thinks

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@sedulous said:

@kbbpll said:

I guess I will have to send it in and we will see... with True View imaging. I will report back here when done.

The die clash seems more noticeable from the front of the nose to the chin-neck area. Any other favorite pick-up points?

Another PUP is the two points of the Star on the back of LIBERTY's neck.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@oih82w8 said:

@sedulous said:

@kbbpll said:

Another PUP is the two points of the Star on the back of LIBERTY's neck.

RIGHT!!! and I see stars protruding from the front of the neck as well. Nice PUP.

• Options

nice! congrats

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

Great Everyman grade!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find and great results!

• Options

I am very pleased. As I said earlier, I was unable to get a good picture. The TrueView looks fabulous.!

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clashed dies don't get enough respect in my opinion. There's some dramatic clashes out there. The first one pictured, on a 1913 Var 1 5c is known as the "Lone Ranger" clash. At least four different dies are known that show this clash-

The second one is one of the strongest I've seen. It's a double clash with rotation between clashes.

• Options

UPDATE: The 1892-O PC58 Clashed Dies did not pass at CAC.

Have a great day everyone.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    UPDATE: The 1892-O PC58 Clashed Dies did not pass at CAC.

Have a great day everyone.

wow.

thanks for the update and i'm bummed the SL quarter did not pass. from the TV, it did have more mint "staining" or is it leftover dip residue? on the obv than the original images could show. STILL, an obviously very very nice purchase and result.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file