Home Sports Talk

Another Aaron Judge season in his prime out with injury...

MLBdaysMLBdays Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2019 3:01PM in Sports Talk

Aaron Judge has been injured every season of his career....Next year will be Judge's age 28 year and he doesn't even have 90 homers.....Trout is the same age and has 246.... how does Aaron Judge even think of Cooperstown with another year in his prime basically wiped out to another 2-4 month injury~ 4 months if he needs surgery on the grade 3 oblique injury? Even the season he hit 52 he was basically punchless for 6-7 weeks after the All Star break with an obvious injury he sustained from the Home Run Derby.... That big body of his is a big target with a lot that can go wrong..... and it is going that way unfortunately for him.

Comments

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of looks like he's going down that Rob Gronkowski path,very good to great when he's playing healthy but is starting to get that injury-prone reputation.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Money is a great consolation.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like he is the Wentz of Baseball. :o

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Judge didn’t play for the Yankees none of these morons would have ever mentioned his name and future HOF in the same sentence.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think there is probably a reason most baseball players are not 6´7¨ and 280 pounds.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I think there is probably a reason most baseball players are not 6´7¨ and 280 pounds.

Frank Howard did ok. Not many others though.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Frank Thomas was a big man as well, though not as big as judge. Carrying all that weight around tends to make for short careers. I doubt judge will play till he is 40. I also think we will see a big drop off for trout in his 30's. He carries around 240 pounds. The joints take a beating after awhile.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Frank Thomas was a big man as well, though not as big as judge. Carrying all that weight around tends to make for short careers. I doubt judge will play till he is 40. I also think we will see a big drop off for trout in his 30's. He carries around 240 pounds. The joints take a beating after awhile.

In my way of thinking a persons size and weight is all irrelevant, I’m 5’8 190 and never had any muscle or tendon tear, my buddy is 5’10 and 165 and has a rebuilt shoulder, Knee and a few muscle tears. We both had a career in a prison banging around doing cell extractions & breaking up hundreds of fights all in cement cells and housing units, working with about a thousand other Corrections Officers over the years i have seen small and big guys do the same thing, some get hurt others don’t, it’s all genetics and how each person is built.Body Size doesn’t matter and I don’t care what anyone says either that is way more strenuous than playing baseball.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

In my way of thinking a persons size and weight is all irrelevant, I’m 5’8 190 and never had any muscle or tendon tear, my buddy is 5’10 and 165 and has a rebuilt shoulder, Knee and a few muscle tears. We both had a career in a prison banging around doing cell extractions & breaking up hundreds of fights all in cement cells and housing units, working with about a thousand other Corrections Officers over the years i have seen small and big guys do the same thing, some get hurt others don’t, it’s all genetics and how each person is built.Body Size doesn’t matter and I don’t care what anyone says either that is way more strenuous than playing baseball.

Agree completely. There just aren't that many 6'7" people in general, so very very few will be elite athletes and some of them will get hurt.

I have never understood the theory about big people being different from small and it being a big deal. Pardon the pun.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

you are looking at only their work on field during game time. guys like trout are constantly running and lifting weights during the off season. when you are carrying around 240 pounds of muscle and jogging/sprinting a lot and squatting in the gym etc. it takes its toll. and yes, what these guys put their bodies through to get prepared to compete is significantly more physically strenuous than a very high percentage of jobs/careers most people have.

Keep in mind that one pound of body weight equals 4 pounds of pressure on the knees. If you weight 190 and mike trout weighs 240, every step he makes puts an extra 200 pounds of pressure on his knees. for Judge, that would be 360 extra pounds of pressure on his knees for every step. these are cumulative effects and certainly add up over a 10-15 year career. this is a major reason why big guys slow down much quicker during their careers and you dont see as many long careers from big guys. If it was not for the DH, players like David ortiz would have had to retire many years earlier. look at the lower body problems albert pujols has been going through for years. he is a shell of his former self. you will most likely see the same occur with trout and judge when they get to age 34-35. Guys like Aaron, Mays, Yaz, Robinson were not carrying that much weight and were able to play extended careers without the benefit of modern rehab techniques.

as far as not having any muscle/tendon tears, i would hazzard a guess that a judge, Trout, Pujols, thomas etc are carrying around a lot more lean muscle tissue than you or I. Baseball is a sport of bursts. there is a lot of standing around, and when the action starts, it happens very fast. they warm up before games, but for three hours are starting/stopping constantly. we can agree to disagree.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

big guys are lazy so it balances out

you think trout got into the shape he is in by being lazy?

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea, the "next Mickey Mantle" for the Yankees who isn't.

too bad about the injuries with Judge. a great talent who got a late start and seems injury prone. a HOF he will not be.

@craig44 said:

thats one guy , for every trout there are a dozen big guys breathlessly waiting to turn into a fat load .

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    If Judge didn’t play for the Yankees none of these morons would have ever mentioned his name and future HOF in the same sentence.

As a Yankee fan, I’m not entirely unbiased on this. But...

...I’m not sure how many players in MLB history have had better rookie seasons. The guy just missed on the MVP award and set several rookie records for both the Yankees and MLB.

I’ll agree that people love to throw that tag at young players all the time and from a percentage of them making it angle very few are.

Still, I believe his rookie season would have been a national story regardless of which team he played for though it certainly didn’t hurt him any, being Yankee...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@bronco2078 said:

@craig44 said:

thats one guy , for every trout there are a dozen big guys breathlessly waiting to turn into a fat load .

ok, I will play. Trout, Judge, Stanton, Harper and Puig. Those guys are in great shape, and I could list a whole bunch more. Can you now list 60 fat loads currently playing MLB?

@craig44 said:

@bronco2078 said:

@craig44 said:

ok, I will play. Trout, Judge, Stanton, Harper and Puig. Those guys are in great shape, and I could list a whole bunch more. Can you now list 60 fat loads currently playing MLB?

I am talking the entire world

@bronco2078 said:

@craig44 said:

@bronco2078 said:

@craig44 said:

not sure what that has to do with the conversation. we are talking MLB players here.

@craig44 said:

@bronco2078 said:

@craig44 said:

@bronco2078 said:

@craig44 said:

not sure what that has to do with the conversation. we are talking MLB players here.

I'm simply saying that inside every big guy is a lazy fat load waiting to burst out. They can stay in shape for a while but its inevitable they all look like charles barkley when they retire. The urge to eat 7 cheeseburgers for lunch is always there. Baseball is the least athletic sport to begin with so playing in games isn't enough for potential fatties.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

Frank Howard did ok. Not many others though.

How about Boog Powell, he of Baltimore Oriole fame?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not happy that Judge is so injury prone but I am also not surprised at where his career is at. when mania swept the forum about him I wasn't sold and sort of said we should just wait before he is enshrined in Cooperstown. the reaction wasn't surprising, my view wasn't appreciated or shared. now it seems Aaron Judge will see a short career, shorter and less productive than even I had anticipated.

I suppose they put him on the 10 day list to analyze and observe the injury but he'll probably be moved to the 60 day list next week. considering the amount of torque that these players are generating as they swing for the fences I'd expect this type of injury to be more common than it is. that's the thin with MLB, it is such a specialized set of skills that are required in a single moment: players can be at rest, especially outfielders, for almost the entire game and then they need to do things that are ridiculous for the body to do.

@keets said:
    I am not happy that Judge is so injury prone but I am also not surprised at where his career is at. when mania swept the forum about him I wasn't sold and sort of said we should just wait before he is enshrined in Cooperstown. the reaction wasn't surprising, my view wasn't appreciated or shared. now it seems Aaron Judge will see a short career, shorter and less productive than even I had anticipated.

I suppose they put him on the 10 day list to analyze and observe the injury but he'll probably be moved to the 60 day list next week. considering the amount of torque that these players are generating as they swing for the fences I'd expect this type of injury to be more common than it is. that's the thin with MLB, it is such a specialized set of skills that are required in a single moment: players can be at rest, especially outfielders, for almost the entire game and then they need to do things that are ridiculous for the body to do.

I wouldn’t be in rush to enshrine or bury him.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭

It seems like we know what we will get with Judge at this point. When he hits the ball it will go a long ways, he will strikeout a lot, and he will spend some time on the DL every season.

I also agree with Perkdog that body size doesn't matter. Some people just have better genetics, you see just as many smaller guys on the DL. Of course, throw that out the window when PEDs (steroids, HGH, etc) are involved. However, I don't think that is the case with Judge. He just is injury prone.

Robb

@fergie23 said:
    It seems like we know what we will get with Judge at this point. When he hits the ball it will go a long ways, he will strikeout a lot, and he will spend some time on the DL every season.

I also agree with Perkdog that body size doesn't matter. Some people just have better genetics, you see just as many smaller guys on the DL. Of course, throw that out the window when PEDs (steroids, HGH, etc) are involved. However, I don't think that is the case with Judge. He just is injury prone.

Robb

Oblique injuries are fairly common in baseball and golf; could and does happen to anyone. You do this to yourself swinging hard.

A pitch hitting the wrist and chipping the bone in baseball can and does happen to anyone. Someone else does this to you.

I think ‘injury prone’ and immediately Dustin Pedroia, Jacoby Ellsbury and AJ Pollock come to mind - guys who get hurt on their own, multiple times a season, get hurt in rehab assignments and across multiple seasons. Guys that keep pulling the same muscles, degenerative knees, chronic back problems, etc. To me, that’s injury prone.

2017-155
    2018-112
    2019-20+Whatever he plays when he heals

Let’s call this a bad one (and by all rights it is) and he misses two months. He could still play in 100+ games.

Again, I think people want to say ‘I called it’ so they throw out the ‘future HOFer’ and ‘injury prone’ tag on players far too often. The simple fact is that if he heals, puts up a similar line to last year and then follows it up with 10 strait seasons like his rookie campaign, he’ll be first ballot and if he blows out both his knees Opening Day next year we may never see him again. He’s 27, fairly unique and is a very good defender and base runner in addition to the solid slugger he has proven to be when healthy.

Health can be hard to predict, of course, but so can success so I’m holding off on ANY labels for now and hoping for some quick healing.

:wink:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

Oblique injuries are fairly common in baseball and golf; could and does happen to anyone. You do this to yourself swinging hard.

A pitch hitting the wrist and chipping the bone in baseball can and does happen to anyone. Someone else does this to you.

I think ‘injury prone’ and immediately Dustin Pedroia, Jacoby Ellsbury and AJ Pollock come to mind - guys who get hurt on their own, multiple times a season, get hurt in rehab assignments and across multiple seasons. Guys that keep pulling the same muscles, degenerative knees, chronic back problems, etc. To me, that’s injury prone.

2017-155
    2018-112
    2019-20+Whatever he plays when he heals

Let’s call this a bad one (and by all rights it is) and he misses two months. He could still play in 100+ games.

Again, I think people want to say ‘I called it’ so they throw out the ‘future HOFer’ and ‘injury prone’ tag on players far too often. The simple fact is that if he heals, puts up a similar line to last year and then follows it up with 10 strait seasons like his rookie campaign, he’ll be first ballot and if he blows out both his knees Opening Day next year we may never see him again. He’s 27, fairly unique and is a very good defender and base runner in addition to the solid slugger he has proven to be when healthy.

Health can be hard to predict, of course, but so can success so I’m holding off on ANY labels for now and hoping for some quick healing.

:wink:

so he only has to follow up with 10 straight seasons? :D well he is a lock then

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭

Lots of excuses there Wheaties. Lots of players swing hard and don't end up on the DL with an oblique injury. Lots of players get hit by a pitch and don't end up with a fractured wrist. Judge was injured in 2016 and missed the end of the season, by all accounts he played through injury during the second half of his prolific rookie season - hitting .230 in July and .185 in August, he was injured in 2018, he was injured in 2019. You have to call a spade a spade at some point.

Robb

@fergie23 said:
    Lots of excuses there Wheaties. Lots of players swing hard and don't end up on the DL with an oblique injury. Lots of players get hit by a pitch and don't end up with a fractured wrist. Judge was injured in 2016 and missed the end of the season, by all accounts he played through injury during the second half of his prolific rookie season - hitting .230 in July and .185 in August, he was injured in 2018, he was injured in 2019. You have to call a spade a spade at some point.

Robb

I really don’t think it’s excuses; just pointing out that making judgements about how a guys career will go based on 2.2 seasons of their career seems premature when it’s done in either direction - obscurity or Cooperstown.

I’m not a Judge super fan or anything and I fully acknowledge the possibility that you’re right. I’d also venture a guess that many/most guys are playing hurt from May 1 onward. It’s part of sports, playing hurt - there’s no two ways about it.

I am pretty sure he will not be hitting 50+ home runs every year from age 28-38. This guy will age quickly.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

at his current pace I doubt that Aaron Judge will hit 400 hr's in his career, but he certainly has the potential to do that and many more.