Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

UPDATE: Reference for Mexico City 1760/59 CAROLVS III/FERDND VI 8 reales

jgennjgenn Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 29, 2019 2:13PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Update: NGC has removed this variety from its registry

This variety is in the KP Standard Catalog of World Coins under KM #105, and it is included in registry sets here and ATS, however it is not listed in any of my references (Calbeto, Elizondo, Gilboy). The Isaac Rudman collection did not have one, there are no examples in either census and I haven't found any auction results. Mike Dunigan did not know of an example when I spoke with him at USMex last year.

Have you seen this variety?

Do you have a different reference that lists this overdate plus overruler variety?

Tagged:

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many times overdates are not listed - ANYWHERE. Perhaps it was unknown at the time the books you looked in were printed. I've encountered this "problem" before many times over the years. BTW, in some cases (Krause is guilty of this) an entire series of coins is omitted for ?? space. Same is possibly true for overdates. As time goes on, more will be discovered from different countries that are not listed today.

• jgennjgenn Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 2:40PM

@Insider2 said:
    Perhaps it was unknown at the time the books you looked in were printed.

I believe Gilboy is the most recent and also most thorough reference of those that I listed. It notes many overdates in this series and was published in 1999. Does anyone know of a more recent reference or auction description for this variety?

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2019 10:37AM

I have the books you mentioned, along with Jose De Yriarte's reference that also does not list this variety. Population reports, though arguably not scientific or reliable, may provide some insight when we consider that at NGC only two 59/60 overdates are listed along with just three overrulers, while at PCGS there are no overdates listed and only a single CAROLVS III/FERDND VI overruler reported. With so few of those undisputed varieties having been identified by the professional graders can we speculate that this KM #105 is a phantom variety that doesn't exist?

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2019 12:25PM

Krause is unreliable I swear some issues forgot to include whole tables of them , I remember having to look at multiple editions to find one a while ago , I didn't end up buying it so I've forgotten which it was.

Its such a wide range of coins spread over multiple countries and mints its not surprising some might very well be non existent or maybe unnoticed is a better word.

in fact i feel like austria is a problem in the same ways

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's one of the issues I have with NGC basing their registry compositions on Krause. Your variety probably doesn't exist, same for 1800/70 Mo-FM, 1801/791 Mo-FM, 1809/8 Mo-TH (even though ive seen one certified by NGC it's definitely not an overdate) just to name a few off the top of my head.

• jgennjgenn Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the comments! I plan to petition NGC to have it removed from their registry set.