Home U.S. Coin Forum

ONLY 30 MINUTES LEFT ON MY GIVEAWAY IN THAT FORUM!

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 25, 2019 5:27PM in U.S. Coin Forum

********ADDED: I'll give away a "gently used" slide top to anyone that wants to enter their name on the Giveaway forum....go see!

Before TPG's there were these "slide top" holders for your coins.....still have a few dozen.
bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never saw those. Is it a Capital Plastics product?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    Never saw those. Is it a Capital Plastics product?

Don't remember, nothing stamped or etched on them....maybe someone else remembers the source.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 10:44AM

When you could get pattern coins in cereal.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm an ole dawg, but don't remember those.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:
    ….Teletrade bidding required a push button phone.

I did a lot of that. Still have a bunch of those coins.

• RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when there were a number of coin stores in my area. We had a good one close the other day after they had been the victim of an armed robbery. A few years before that they were broken into but the safes weren't opened. Damned thieves!

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't remember ANY of these things, lol. I DO remember finding a silver dime in a coin return on a coke machine at my church as a kid. The only silver I've ever found in circulation!

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember going to the bank on the first day that the Kennedy Half Dollars were released.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

..... stores gave Kennedys and Ikes as change.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to have those plastic slide holders, too!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

10 cent Cokes, 2 cents for the returnable bottle.

• dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

Little department stores like Grants and Ben Franklin sold coins and supplies.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

When my college had a protest over canned Cokes going from a dime to 15 cents.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting Buffalo nickels in rolls, and using date restorer on the dateless ones.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

When Ike Dollars first came out and everybody thought they were cool.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The sky was not falling! B)

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Getting Buffalo nickels in rolls, and using date restorer on the dateless ones.

And it would leave a nasty spot.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 5:27AM

When prices on Classic Commems were going up :)

• CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chopmarked trade dollars were considered ungradable junk and sold for $16 each

A mercury dime had to have full vertical lines on the fasces to be graded FINE .......thats a long gone rule

Au-Unc coins bought through the mail were usually XF cleaned

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

$45 Saints.

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 8:41AM

I remember when the 1995 doubled die cent was discovered and it sent us all on a big treasure hunt. Probably the most fun the community had searching their change. Prices were high and the coins kept coming. (Of course, I didnt find one in the wild for another 15 years!)

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can honestly say that the OP's example is the first plastic slide I've ever seen!!

I do remember gold at $235/oz, and silver at $4 ...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when there were a lot more coin stores then there are now. you really had a choice

• ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

When roll searching produced decent results! I used to take my paper route money in the 70's and get various rolls from the bank, search them and fill my Whitmans. That was great fun as a kid...

K

ANA LM
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those plastic slide top holders were first used for Franklin Mint medals and were then marketed for coins as well. Most date from the late 1960s thru the 1980s.

All glory is fleeting.

@291fifth said:
    Those plastic slide top holders were first used for Franklin Mint medals and were then marketed for coins as well. Most date from the late 1960s thru the 1980s.

I know I've had mine since the 60's for sure.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when PVC flips were the norm!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • tincuptincup Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mantra was 'buy the coin, not the plastic'. Still true, but not nearly so much... now we buy the plastic and the bean.

----- kj

Bought my first gold coin, a BU 1900-S $20, for $50 from Earl Schill in downtown Detroit on May 31, 1966.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • tincuptincup Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buying coins in department stores like Brandeis in Omaha.

----- kj

Buying coins from a rotator case at Woolworth's.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

They only had a book at the Woolworth's in my area. Rotator cases were for fancy stores, like the one in Boston.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:

@CaptHenway said:

They only had a book at the Woolworth's in my area. Rotator cases were for fancy stores, like the one in Boston.

We only had a Sproutz Reitz which had no coins..........ugh :(

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

i remember when no one had flown to space yet

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

........... as a YN I was given an MS 1950-D nickel as a present from my parents that they purchased from Dan Brown's coin store in Denver in the mid 1960's; and

......... taking a 3rd grade class field trip to the Denver mint in the spring of 1964 (may during the time period that the 1964-D Peace Dollars were struck) and being amazed looking at the display of gold and silver nuggets, bars and coins sitting in an old safe behind a wall of glass.

TTT

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

When "Coin World" had many times 2 sections and over 100 pages. And the 'Trading Post" section in the classifieds.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a proof set around here in a Capitol holder that was assembled by a drug store. Their name was embossed into the plastic.

I remember when my Grama would give the kids each a dime (always a Mercury Dime).

I remember everyone locating their silver when the Hunt Brothers tried to corner the silver market.

I remember actual silver dollars used in Vegas slots.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when a roll of Lifesavers cost a nickel and comics cost 12 cents...and the only thing I thought to save were wheat pennies because they sure looked different!!!!!!!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not remember those holders... However, @PerryHall and I seem to have lived through the same period... likely the same age as well....silver dimes, quarters and halves were standard change...Gold was $35/oz... no one had yet flown in space - @keets ...Yep... I have been around the sun quite a few times on spaceship earth...That being said, no one has seen everything.... and I am always willing to learn new things. Cheers, RickO

edited March 23, 2019 4:35PM

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    When "Coin World" had many times 2 sections and over 100 pages. And the 'Trading Post" section in the classifieds.

I was working there then..........

The max for one section was 96 pages. Sections had to be in multiples of 24 pages. For the big shows we would two sections, maybe 72 + 48 or 96 + 48. Largest I ever saw was 192 pages.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file