Home Sports Talk

What happened to all the threads from the new guy - Huckleberry ?

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like Huckleberry took down all his posts. Did Coinstartled offend him in the 60 thread, or
was it something else ?

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2019 2:19PM

🤷‍♂️

He was a record pace for posts 😂

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aaronb said:
    He said they banned him for complaints about his use of the words like, crap and ass

You mean like "Because of the hemorrhoids on his ass, George Brett was a crappy third baseman"? Yeah, that offends me.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was probably an alt...…..and alts are no longer tolerated.

I wouldn't be surprised if Aaronb is also an alt.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

good thing huck isnt a snake.......some of you would be in big trouble

I think it might have been over something in reference to negative comments he made about a political figure, thought I saw something along those lines in one of his many many threads. I think the Mods have been pretty lenient though, with all the off topic stuff lately.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Help me, Huckleberry, you're my only hope.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2019 4:04PM

It's better to burn out than to fade away right

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

@craig44 said:
    It's better to burn out than to fade away right

Until you run out of email addresses to open new accounts I guess.

@Adrian1 said:
    Goodbye larkincollector. Love you man.

I ain't the snitch, but looks like you got the 'Flag' button reintroduced. Congrats!

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you, perkdog, I appreciate your kind words. I'm relatively inexperienced on this board, but I have participated in others for many years. I hope that I can use my experience as a collector and PSA employee to help things along here and be something of a bridge between the two groups.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Sports Forum has proven to be very durable and unique to me in its civility. Sports related topics and discussions can be pretty opinionated, as though there is really something at stake for the participants. things get warm here but never boil over, new people show up and add to the pot while stirring it.

I think our Saving Grace is that nothing is capable of lasting more than a month or two. right now it will be College Hoops for a few weeks, then probably MLB starting, then NFL pre-season, then the WS and then more NFL. there is always something to keep us distracted enough so we don't zero in on one thing and get too, too out of control.

and then there's the comic relief which goes beyond anything over at the US Coin forum. here we have Marriages and Bro-mances, switching Team allegiance mid-season and all other sorts of things. so in my mind it stays fresh. I even enjoyed Huckleberry and found myself coming here to see what threads he had started. the Tyson/Ali was a classic, sorry it's gone.

Huckleberry is sort of like the Sports Forum version of Bongo Bongo. here for a brief time to liven things up, now relegated to the history books but still a fond memory.

Well said Keets! 🍻

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

help me think about this for a moment.

when I first came to the PCGS Forums it was after I lurked for a short time. chat-rooms were new to me so I watched before I joined, but when I joined it was as though I had to be taught how to do things, how to behave and then wait to be accepted into the fold.

over the years it has been sort of an adopted tradition that when newcomers join they sort of do an "Introductory Thread" where they say who they are, what they collect and start the journey. these latter-day-trolls-and-alts don't do that. it's sort of a "Tell" that something is amiss. they seamlessly enter, know how everything works, know the jargon and don't care who they upset. some newbies even seem to have an agenda.

has anyone else noticed that??

1970s... I can appreciate that. We all have different personalities and influences in our lives that cause us to be who we are. However, we still need to follow particular sets of guidelines in certain situations. Some may be more strict or more lenient than others. What the poster-in-question did was not simply a case of being a bit more harsh or "real," than others. Also, I don't think that requesting that bar room language (for lack of a better term) be kept away from a sports card message board is too much to ask. If you simply cannot discuss cards without using that kind of language, then there are likely better forums for you than this one.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

keets, good point!
    A good example would be lotsos on the sports card forum. If I remember he did an introductory thread
    and wrote what he was interested in (mainly hockey) and in no time was a very respected member. You get
    a lot of 'welcome to the board' posts when you do that and usually the poster is sincere about wanting to
    contribute when they introduce themselves that way.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@keets said:
    help me think about this for a moment.

when I first came to the PCGS Forums it was after I lurked for a short time. chat-rooms were new to me so I watched before I joined, but when I joined it was as though I had to be taught how to do things, how to behave and then wait to be accepted into the fold.

over the years it has been sort of an adopted tradition that when newcomers join they sort of do an "Introductory Thread" where they say who they are, what they collect and start the journey. these latter-day-trolls-and-alts don't do that. it's sort of a "Tell" that something is amiss. they seamlessly enter, know how everything works, know the jargon and don't care who they upset. some newbies even seem to have an agenda.

has anyone else noticed that??

I can see that. Really, it isn't much different than walking into an unfamiliar room in real life. If you go in brashly, with proverbial guns blazing, then you risk turning people off, alienating yourself, and possibly being asked not to return. A little time to study your environment before joining in is very helpful, though obviously not everyone believes it to be.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

who's alt was he?

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my two cents on the situation (may not even be worth that)

It's important to remember that this isn't some "typical" forum on the internet. CU owns and operates this forum for one reason and one reason only...because it's good for their business.

Frankly, when CU closed the "Open Forum" years ago, i'm glad they didn't throw out the baby with the bath water and close Sports Talk. Because in my view, and I think theirs as well, Sports Talk is good for business.

Sports Talk generates direct interest in the players, past and present, which generates interest in collecting and PSA grading the cards of these players.

Coins are great as well, and I am also a long time coin collector. However the "dilemma" with coins is that you can't usually discuss the people on coins without delving into politics. I mean take Abraham Lincoln for example, who of course is very popular on coins and currency. He was a Republican, so it's tough to discuss Lincoln without getting into some political aspect.

Whereby with sports players, we can freely and enjoyably discuss their performance and antics without politics entering into it, or even the more dreadful internet forum topic of religion.

Actually, i enjoy discussing politics, but as Todd stated, there are other forums out there for those who do not accept the CU rules. So other forums is where I go for politics. I have many posts on Disqus and Reddit that are mainly on various political subjects.

Here at CU, I come to enjoy the great hobbies of coin and card collecting, and a dynamic factor driving card collecting known as sports talk. Overall the CU forum is lots of good fun and a fantastic place to gain knowledge.

I hope the CU forum stays alive and well for many years to come. :)

@stevek said:
    Here's my two cents on the situation (may not even be worth that)

It's important to remember that this isn't some "typical" forum on the internet. CU owns and operates this forum for one reason and one reason only...because it's good for their business.

Frankly, when CU closed the "Open Forum" years ago, i'm glad they didn't throw out the baby with the bath water and close Sports Talk. Because in my view, and I think theirs as well, Sports Talk is good for business.

Sports Talk generates direct interest in the players, past and present, which generates interest in collecting and PSA grading the cards of these players.

Coins are great as well, and I am also a long time coin collector. However the "dilemma" with coins is that you can't usually discuss the people on coins without delving into politics. I mean take Abraham Lincoln for example, who of course is very popular on coins and currency. He was a Republican, so it's tough to discuss Lincoln without getting into some political aspect.

Whereby with sports players, we can freely and enjoyably discuss their performance and antics without politics entering into it, or even the more dreadful internet forum topic of religion.

Actually, i enjoy discussing politics, but as Todd stated, there are other forums out there for those who do not accept the CU rules. So other forums is where I go for politics. I have many posts on Disqus and Reddit that are mainly on various political subjects.

Here at CU, I come to enjoy the great hobbies of coin and card collecting, and a dynamic factor driving card collecting known as sports talk. Overall the CU forum is lots of good fun and a fantastic place to gain knowledge.

I hope the CU forum stays alive and well for many years to come. :)

no we are just here to talk sports not cards . sports cards are silly

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

initially i thought huck might turn out to be an asset because he was on pace to becoming the all-time post count leader on collectors universe in a month's time

but then derrière and feces talk started flying everywhere and i felt like i needed to go take an oatmeal bath

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    initially i thought huck might turn out to be an asset because he was on pace to becoming the all-time post count leader on collectors universe in a month's time

but then derrière and feces talk started flying everywhere and i felt like i needed to go take an oatmeal bath

<<< derrière and feces talk >>>

Which would be welcome on a proctology forum. :|

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was recently promoted to Master Colleector and now have five stars.

How does one earn such an honor?

PS - I am a New Yorker who was raised my parents who stressed that I represent my family well or suffer the consequences. And boy, did I suffer at times. :wink:

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea how stars are awarded. Actually, i didnt even notice them until they were brought up in a different thread a while ago. It is a mystery to me.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays

Nice - I’ll be sure to spend it all on grading fees. By the way, the compensation package is considerably better for my other titles of master debater and cunning linguist.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

I still want to know whose alt it was

Promote in your stat line for likes ect.. ? What the heck does that mean? Anyone know?

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

I'm 99 % sure I know who it was. If I'm correct, it was a former user that had a record amount of posts in a short time and was subsequently banned.

@lawnmowerman said:

@bronco2078 said:

I'm 99 % sure I know who it was. If I'm correct, it was a former user that had a record amount of posts in a short time and was subsequently banned.

Was it someone who got axte recently?

@MLBdays said:
    ~ @1951WheatiesPremium ~as a Master Collector you should start getting a monthly check signed by Joe Orlando ..... I think you get a dollar for every "like" and "LOL" you generate...2 dollars for every "agree" as those are a bit tougher to attain ...especially in a PSA 10.

so someone needs to cut me a check for 3500 bucks? sounds good

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawnmowerman said:
    Nope years. I'll pm ya

I finally figured out how to solve the Rubik's Cube.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.