Home U.S. Coin Forum

Updated with pics: chasing down a childhood numismatic urban legend tale!

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 27, 2019 7:30AM in U.S. Coin Forum

When I was a kid in Ohio in the 80s I heard a story about a local kid that found a gold coin— he was a coin collector as well and he swore up and down it was a gold brasher doubloon. He took it took a coin store and was told while it’s real gold it was counterfeit.

The story was always in the back of my mind but forgotten until my oldest brother went to a funeral last week and met up with this “kid” who retold the story.

While digging for bottles he came across a pile of black sand. Knowing sometimes black sand contained gold he fetched his $49 Radio Shack metal detector and found “some coins” including the Brasher coin. The coin dealer said it was gold but counterfeit but he didn’t sell it. He’s still in possession of it! I’m only a mile away from the man’s house and arranging a trip to get a photo of it. I don’t have a scale on hand but I’ll do my best to document what I can. I should be able to get some update in the next few days.

I know this story sounds nuts but who doesn’t like a good mystery?!

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

The suspense is gripping me!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love a good story!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

An intriguing mystery!

Post a video, too, if you can --- a good close-up of the coin, tilting it and rotating so we can get a sense of its luster, its edges, etc., that a straight-on photograph might not impart as well.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

take a magnet or use his refer magnet.....
    Get a ruler to it as well.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an iPhone XR— I should be able to get some good shots and video! Ahhhh it’s so exciting.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW, I have seen a “modern” (I.e. post-WW2) struck copy of the Brasher in gold, probably 14kt but possibly 10kt. Very obvious with nice smooth surfaces.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

one never knows these days. fwiw

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to this!

Collector, occasional seller

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those that don't know the history.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to your report.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any fish swimming in the black sand?

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love story's like this, good luck and keep us posted !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anticipation!

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about the other coins? Anxious to hear how this pans out.

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool story. I am looking forward to the... rest of the story.

It would be very cool if it turns out to be a legitimate piece.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take a round pencil with a 1 foot ruler, mark balance and place unknown on one end and known coin weights on other end and rebalance on mark. Just a thought.

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

8 more days til April Fools day. >:)

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    8 more days til April Fools day. >:)

:D

A cool story but the April fools day thing made me laugh pretty good.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Black sand is found with placer gold in streams, not gold coins.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • JimWJimW Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭

Eagerly awaiting the update :)

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love a good treasure story... I look forward with great anticipation - 'the rest of the story'....Cheers, RickO

I have an iPhone XR— I should be able to get some good shots and video! Ahhhh it’s so exciting. > @Smudge said:

I just popped up to take a look and was disappointed to find no, the coin was not actually gold! It’s still a pretty interesting find. I’m guessing it’s cast? He never did clean it and knows not to.

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love a good treasure hunt. Sorry it wasn't the big one

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

Let’s take a moment to marvel at the real deal..

• DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

Thank you for looking into it and sharing your experience --- even it didn't end up being a "find of the century"! Still fun. It's neat that he kept it safe for 30 years. So often we move away from home, go to college in a different city, start a career, start a family, move from town to town, sometimes state to state, certainly from house to house; it's a wonder we're able to keep any of our childhood treasures for an entire lifetime. This one might not be gold, but it has a story and it's a keeper.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kiyote said:
    Let’s take a moment to marvel at the real deal..

@kiyote said:
    I have an iPhone XR— I should be able to get some good shots and video! Ahhhh it’s so exciting. > @Smudge said:

I just popped up to take a look and was disappointed to find no, the coin was not actually gold! It’s still a pretty interesting find. I’m guessing it’s cast? He never did clean it and knows not to.

The thrill of a treasure hunt, love it! Thanks for showing the results @kiyote.

Was this coin ever minted in anything other than gold?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file