Home U.S. Coin Forum

Delete

2fun2Bbad2fun2Bbad Posts: 110 ✭✭
edited March 2, 2020 6:08AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm not sure what to make of this, experts, what do you say?

![](https://us.v-cdn.net/602

7503/uploads/editor/sc/mylj2eoklx71.jpg "")

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019 5:34AM

@2fun2Bbad said:

1945 lincon cent weird S

I'm not sure what to make of this, experts, what do you say?

![](https://us.v-cdn.net/602

7503/uploads/editor/sc/mylj2eoklx71.jpg "")

Nearly 75yo, took a hit, intimate contact with dirt, worn, dirty, someone’s reject, exchanged in many transactions, heads or tails, spun, twirled, dropped, picked-up, pocketed, pursed, tossed, caught, and met many other cents, nickel, dimes, quarters... a well circulated cent.

Coin Facts for comparison.

• 2fun2Bbad2fun2Bbad Posts: 110 ✭✭

Thank you for your response, but if you look at the last couple or three pictures you can see it's like another s crossing the other. Certainly worn, no question there, but that doesn't seem like wearing down like the picture you posted. I'm far from expert coin guy, but looking at the 1946 S over D I see similarities but none recorded for the 45. At the bottom of S you can faintly make out the serif of a D, maybe I'm imagining lol.
    I could be wrong of course, but a beat up coin I've never seen where metal builds up on a part of the mint mark. Is that common in beat up worn coins? Just because I've never seen one certainly doesn't make it non existent I know, but since I'm here learning from you, I'm up for the lesson. No hitting me with the ruler though lol.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obvious post mint damage. No numismatic interest or value.

All glory is fleeting.
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Normal coin and mintmark,
    after being in circulation.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • 2fun2Bbad2fun2Bbad Posts: 110 ✭✭

interesting

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file