Home Sports Talk

Greatest rock musician ever

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neil Young is tough to beat. Vocals, guitar, harmonica, and damn good at all three.

Other guys could do that too, but not at the level Neil Young could.

Other guys could sing, play guitar, play the keyboards, but not at the level Neil Young could.

I'm guessing there are many others who are in Neil's league. Just can't think of them right now.

Comments

• maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

'Rust Never Sleeps' is my all time favorite. Hi Hi Hey Hey Rock N Roll IS HERE TO STAY.

Can't edit.

Favorite album.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had never been a big Neil Young fan until I saw him in concert about 3 years ago. Dude was superb and played for about three hours. Willie Nelson's sons were his backup guitarists.

Greatest though, I vote George Harrison.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

I Like Neil Young but don’t consider him the best ever, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton has to be up there

That must have been something.

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Todd Rundgren could play pretty much every instrument in a standard rock band, as could Prince.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

John Lennon
    Paul McCartney

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@1970s said:

@Coinstartled said:
    Had never been a big Neil Young fan until I saw him in concert about 3 years ago.

Is that the night we had our first date ?

You are confusing me with Darin and the Justin Bieber concert.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I Like Neil Young but don’t consider him the best ever, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton has to be up there

Jimi and Eric are listed as greatest guitarist ever! 1 and 2 respectively. Jimi was only in the business 4 years, but is considered way up there in the advancement of making a guitar talk. Too bad he self destructed.

Jimi was very good, but I didn't much like listening to his music beyond Watchtower and Wind cries Mary.

Of the tragically short life performers of the era, I'll take Janis and Morrison ahead of Hendrix. Maybe even Blind Owl Wilson, but i would have to think about that some more.

• RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

seen live...Lindsey Buckingham,Eddie Van Halen,and Keith Richards

Recorded...Jimi,

Rob
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:
    I think Todd Rundgren could play pretty much every instrument in a standard rock band, as could Prince.

I vote for Todd

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don Henley.
    When the drummer is one of the lead singers, that's just flat out cool.
    Hotel California greatest rock song, Eagles greatest rock band.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

"OHIO" CSNY Finale in Nassau Coliseum NY. They Raised the roof. I was there > @Huckleberry said:

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming, we're finally on our own. I Love that song.

@Darin said:
    Don Henley.

They were great. They had 2 great guitar players.

@MLBdays said:
    Bob Dylan / Chuck Berry

Another 2 greats that weren't mentioned before.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@dallasactuary said:

I vote for Todd

He was a savant

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Roger Waters and Jimmy Page must be mentioned

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:

m

Cannot mention Page without mention of Jeff Beck.

@MLBdays said:
    Rolling Stones TOP 10 all time greatest artists~
    1 Beatles
    2 Dylan
    3 Presley
    4 Ray Charles
    5 Aretha Franklin
    6 Little Richard
    7 James Brown
    8 Jimi Hendrix
    9 Chuck berry
    10 Rolling stones....

All great. They have Velvet Underground at #19 which I find intrestesting. ( they were pioneers). I wonder what the list would look like if it was just individual performers

m

@MLBdays said:
    Rolling Stones TOP 10 all time greatest artists~
    1 Beatles
    2 Dylan
    3 Presley
    4 Ray Charles
    5 Aretha Franklin
    6 Little Richard
    7 James Brown
    8 Jimi Hendrix
    9 Chuck berry
    10 Rolling stones....

The only surprise here to me is Little Richard. He was OK but not in the same league as the others....to me.

edited March 17, 2019 5:59PM

@MLBdays said:
    Talking Heads #100.......my favorite 80's band.... they stretched music outward and upward....great vibe.... Speaking in Tongues ...brilliant!

Huge fan. Loved Roxy Music during the same period. Roxy is being inducted this year into the HOF with RadioHead and others. Super stoked

m

@Justacommeman said:

m

Why not David Gilmour?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
    edited March 17, 2019 7:12PM

@Darin said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Why not David Gilmour?

Waters was a creator. Roger Waters wrote the lyrics for the ENTIRE The Dark Side of The Moon album which is the second best selling album in the world. Roger Waters while with Pink Floyd wrote and created music for 4 more albums. Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall and The Final Cut. He is responsible for Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Wish You Were Here, Another Brick In The Wall, Mother, Comfortably Numb and The Gunner's Dream amongst others. Gilmour is great. Waters is genius. JMO.

Gilmour certainly deserves a mention

m

Mark- thanks for the explanation. Makes sense.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

Top ten list is bogus without Alice Cooper.

@Darin said:
    Don Henley.

you must be talking about the Band

@MLBdays said:
    Bryan Ferry is a GOD.

Roxy music!!! I forgot all about them for 30 years

Every month there is a charity yoga event for under privileged kids in music programs. More often then not the theme is Church of Zepplin. The entire class LZ music. It’s a can’t miss class. Today was Church of Queen. What I find amazing is the way their music was mixed. Or maybe it was just the heat of the room. What’s even more amazing is music wasn’t really mixed back then. For sure not by today’s standards. Queens sound was genius

m

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2019 8:35AM

@Justacommeman said:
    What I find amazing is the way their music was mixed. Or maybe it was just the heat of the room. What’s even more amazing is music wasn’t really mixed back then. For sure not by today’s standards.

m

This is a tremendous point. It has been at least five years or more since I was actively discovering new music, but for sure in the 90s and 00s there was still rock music being made where both the mix and lack of mix,simultaneously,was a big part of it for me.

edited to add:I just read what I wrote, may not make sense, left it anyways

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    Oddly, I'd rather listen to Mccartney or Lennon independently without the Beatles... don't know why..

I don't feel that way about Paul, but I can kind of see it with John's solo work.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont listen to much music anymore, but as I remember, Trent Reznor recorded all instramentals and vocals for most NIN albums without the help of outside musicians. He was in fact NIN, and only hired musicians for touring. Atticus Ross is the only other member and he only became a member in 2016.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

@MLBdays said:
    Oddly, I'd rather listen to Mccartney or Lennon independently without the Beatles... don't know why..

You might be too young?

I was 6 1/2 years old and already liked music when "I Want to Hold Your Hand" came on the radio, for the next 7 years The Beatles had an astonishing run of unbelievable music. After the split John and Paul continued to release great music.

Both of them could play several instruments, I think McCartney was one of the first people to play all the instruments on a recording.

Looking back, some of the old songs seem a little basic, and even "commercial".

If you were there when it was happening, it sure was innovative then.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

No doubt Gilmours solo career was better received. We wouldn’t be taking about either if there was no Pink Floyd

m

I have no quarrel with Neil Young or Bob Dylan at 1.

m

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Along with waters I love the Who
    Entwistle is also a genius
    Speaking of Neil Young..... He is one of the very few who could sit on a bar stool with one instrument (guitar)
    and whooo you without any electronic manipulation. Not hardly anyone today or in he past can do that.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
    edited March 18, 2019 3:10PM

@Justacommeman said:
    I have no quarrel with Neil Young or Bob Dylan at 1.

m

You are forgetting what forum you are on. ;)

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Jimmy Page
    EVH
    Lindsey Buckingham

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

edited March 20, 2019 5:19PM

@1970s said:

@garnettstyle said:
    Jimmy Page
    EVH
    Lindsey Buckingham

Don't think people realize how much of a genius Lindsey Buckingham is.

Look at the tabs for "Big Love", how on earth can anyone play all those notes? "World Turning" as well. Showed them to my son who used to be able to shred a bit, he just shook his head and said "No way".

Looked at one of those "Top 100 Guitarists" lists Buckingham was at 97, I stopped immediately.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Greatest musician and greatest performer are not the same. Record sales has little to do with greatness as a musician but everything to do with measuring commercial success.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

@coinkat said:
    Greatest musician and greatest performer are not the same. Record sales has little to do with greatness as a musician but everything to do with measuring commercial success.

I agree. Prince certainly could do it all and do it well, but while his commercial success was good, he is certainly not as well known as MJ.