Home U.S. Coin Forum

2019 Explore and Discover Coin Set (19XGB) (On sale now, $19.95, HHL's lifted)

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 29, 2019 9:31AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Another late night Friday dump...

2019 Explore and Discover Coin Set (19XGB)

Introducing The Mighty Minters! The Mint's new... uh... mascots?, Alex, Eli, Sophie, and Timothy (two of which might have been on the Rocketship), adorn this new kid's initiative set.

This is the second of three "Kid Initiatives" the Mint will offer this year. (The third is a Coin and Currency set.)

It will contain a proof Sacabuck, Kennedy and a Lowell state quarter, with four openings for the other four 2019 quarters.

It will also contain an uncirculated dime, nickel and cent, as well as a cent planchet.

Oh, and an activity booklet with links to videos on the Mint web page. And a magnifying glass. Can't forget that!

Mintage Limit: None
Product Limit: 50,000
Household Order Limit: 2

On sale March 28 @ Noon.

My guess is the price will be $24.95, the same price as the 2014 set. (The 2014 set came with 3 Kennedy's in different finishes. This set doesn't come with the gloves or the quarter tube the 2014 set did.)
Edit: Price announced at $19.95.

So, will the TPG's grade the planchet? Will you be able to get a slug in a slab with a date and a grade? Will you be able to get a "First Non-Strike" label?

I'm in for one... :D

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @BackroadJunkie!

I need four of these already have the recipients lined up.

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to know if there is anything "special" as to why the print on the set calls them "special coins".....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh Yay! More Special Sets! Gotta have ...

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well you’ve got the furries interested with the Nick Wilde knock-off. 🦊

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

@kiyote said:
    Well you’ve got the furries interested with the Nick Wilde knock-off. 🦊

That is interesting. Zootopia and cross-over into... cosplay?

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bochiman said:
    I want to know if there is anything "special" as to why the print on the set calls them "special coins".....

Because all the uncirculated coins will be proof like, and all the proofs will be matte!

(Let's start that rumor mill up.... BWAhahahaha...)

For laughs, I looked for the first mascot the Mint used, and came up with this...

roadsideamerica.com:Peter, Stuffed Eagle of the Mint

And more!

thenumismatist-coincollector.blogspot.com:Peter, the U.S. Mint Eagle and Mascot

Well, I learned something new today... :D

• TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just don't see these selling as well as the rockets.

Had to go look it up:

2014-D Discovery PF70 1/0

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/2014-s-50c-discovery-set-dc/539186

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just let someone discover an anomaly in one of these sets....Major flipping frenzy, prices out of sight....mass numislooney tunes... :D Cheers, RickO

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

12 days and counting!!!! :p:p:p

$19.95

@Tetromibi said:
    $19.95

And a bargain at that. (Noted in OP.)

I wonder if they'll grade the magnifying glass...

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jabba said:

@Tetromibi said:

Until we find out the Kennedy is special than game on

Don't you mean "Until we convince ourselves the Kennedy is special..."

There remains zero evidence that there is anything special about the Kennedy other than it was mounted on a rocket.

@Bochiman said:

cuz they don't circulate

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in,
    PL is right...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck

@jmlanzaf said:

@jabba said:

@Tetromibi said:

There remains zero evidence that there is anything special about the Kennedy other than it was mounted on a rocket.

The big change is PCGS is now recognizing MSPL for the rocketship Kennedy and... the top Kennedy registry owner is on the hunt for a (or should that say “the”) top pop MSPL Kennedy.

Now if someone other than a registry owner manages to get a top pop MSPL Kennedy... how much do we think it would go at auction?

This will be interesting when it is all said and done.

@Hemispherical said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jabba said:

@Tetromibi said:

The big change is PCGS is now recognizing MSPL for the rocketship Kennedy and... the top Kennedy registry owner is on the hunt for a (or should that say “the”) top pop MSPL Kennedy.

Now if someone other than a registry owner manages to get a top pop MSPL Kennedy... how much do we think it would go at auction?

This will be interesting when it is all said and done.

Is PCGS only recognizing PL for rocketship Kennedy's or for any Kennedy? If so, it is rather odd since I have not heard anyone suggest that there was different die preparation or any process difference for those coins.

@jmlanzaf said:

Is PCGS only recognizing PL for rocketship Kennedy's or for any Kennedy? If so, it is rather odd since I have not heard anyone suggest that there was different die preparation or any process difference for those coins.

I do not think the coins are special, but, I suspect that the dies used for the rocketship were the “freshest” for the production of the 2019 Kennedy’s in general. So the likelihood of finding the highest MS grade 2019 Kennedy’s might be in these sets. I am basing this off the following comments by wondercoin.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12264756/#Comment_12264756

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12262518/#Comment_12262518

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12265277/#Comment_12265277

Coin Facts info for the MSPL (Rocketship).
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/2019-d-50c-rocketship-set-pl/704876

@Hemispherical said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I do not think the coins are special, but, I suspect that the dies used for the rocketship were the “freshest” for the production of the 2019 Kennedy’s in general. So the likelihood of finding the highest MS grade 2019 Kennedy’s might be in these sets. I am basing this off the following comments by wondercoin.

I think this might almost be in the realm of urban legends. For a coin the size of the half dollar, I would bet they don't get more than 50,000 to maybe 100,000 coins per die. I base this on the old state quarter dies they sold most of which seemed to have struck around 100,000 to 200,000 coins if I recall. That being the case, even IF IF IF the rocketship halves were struck first, which I also doubt, then only a small percentage of the mintage would be early die states.

I would expect, therefore, that a similar percentage of the Mint set coins would also represent the same early die state for their respective dies as a total mintage of say 500,000 coins would be 5 to 10 different die pairs.

I also say that I doubt the rocketship coins represent the "first coins struck" because there is no reason for the Mint to start and stop production. Why wouldn't they just strike, say, 250,000 coins before they changed to a different denomination and then use those coins for both the rocketships and the Mint sets?

Has anyone looked at a lot of 2018 Mint sets to see how many coins are "proof like"? After all, there should be similar numbers present in those Mint sets.

• jabbajabba Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think the business strike sets are out yet so the question of weather they will all be proof like is up in the air right now the pop report only shows 4 rocket Kennedy’s graded two 67 and two 68 unfortunately they seem to be a little beaten up if a top grade comes out of these sets it may vary a premium I’ve got my two best sets getting graded I think they are 68 hopefully for one 69PL

@jmlanzaf said:

@Hemispherical said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I think this might almost be in the realm of urban legends. For a coin the size of the half dollar, I would bet they don't get more than 50,000 to maybe 100,000 coins per die. I base this on the old state quarter dies they sold most of which seemed to have struck around 100,000 to 200,000 coins if I recall. That being the case, even IF IF IF the rocketship halves were struck first, which I also doubt, then only a small percentage of the mintage would be early die states.

I would expect, therefore, that a similar percentage of the Mint set coins would also represent the same early die state for their respective dies as a total mintage of say 500,000 coins would be 5 to 10 different die pairs.

I also say that I doubt the rocketship coins represent the "first coins struck" because there is no reason for the Mint to start and stop production. Why wouldn't they just strike, say, 250,000 coins before they changed to a different denomination and then use those coins for both the rocketships and the Mint sets?

Has anyone looked at a lot of 2018 Mint sets to see how many coins are "proof like"? After all, there should be similar numbers present in those Mint sets.

I don’t disagree.

Went looking to 2010 for any MSPL Kennedy designations and there are none that I can find to that year. The 2019-D rocketship is the first. Still no designation for 2019 non-rocketship PL, yet (which would apply to the Mint sets).

Do not know “why” this occurred and specific for the rocketship. Sooner or later we should/might know why.

But for right now it has occurred and there are rocketship Kennedy’s already graded as Rocketship MSPLs (65/66/67). Waiting for a 68/69 and maybe (doubtful) a 70(!) to populate. Which leads me to believe there might be an additional coin added to the Kennedy registries and probably why the rocketship sold so fast.

@jmlanzaf said:

Sadly it looks like they are only giving it to the rocket ones, and you have to send in the sealed mint rocket to get that designation....which really sucks b/c I had 8 in the mail that I had removed from rockets before learning about this new grading scheme. (Source: look at coinfacts and there isn't a 2019-D PL item, only 2019-D rocketships have a PL listed.)

I sincerely hope they correct it and allow all 2019-D's to have the PL designation.

To me, all the current Kennedy's came from the rockets, so they should all be eligible. No other uncirculated kennedy's have been released at this time (I think).

If you go back and look through a bunch of mint sets from the last few years, a majority of the D-Mint have a PL look to them. There's a HUGE difference between the look of a P & D Sacagawea for 2018 for example. You don't even need to look at the mint mark to know if it's Denver in most cases. (Source: I've gone through hundreds of them.)

NGC has been grading the moderns with a PL designation for a while now. The PL appearance is NOT new.

@jabba said:
    I don’t think the business strike sets are out yet so the question of weather they will all be proof like is up in the air right now the pop report only shows 4 rocket Kennedy’s graded two 67 and two 68 unfortunately they seem to be a little beaten up if a top grade comes out of these sets it may vary a premium I’ve got my two best sets getting graded I think they are 68 hopefully for one 69PL

Had to go look for the 2-67 & 2-68... for MS non-PL.

MSPL is now at:
    9@65
    18@66
    3@67

Good luck @jabba on your sub. Would be great if somebody on the forum hits the top pop MSPL.

@Hemispherical said:

@jabba said:

MSPL is now at:
    9@65
    18@66
    3@67

Good luck @jabba on your sub. Would be great if somebody on the forum hits the top pop MSPL.

From those numbers it’s not looking to good

@Tetromibi said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Sadly it looks like they are only giving it to the rocket ones, and you have to send in the sealed mint rocket to get that designation....which really sucks b/c I had 8 in the mail that I had removed from rockets before learning about this new grading scheme. (Source: look at coinfacts and there isn't a 2019-D PL item, only 2019-D rocketships have a PL listed.)

I sincerely hope they correct it and allow all 2019-D's to have the PL designation.

To me, all the current Kennedy's came from the rockets, so they should all be eligible. No other uncirculated kennedy's have been released at this time (I think).

I agree. There has been no other source for a 19-D. Two instances of a 19-S, plus the reverse proof, but no uncircs from Denver or Philly.

If you go back and look through a bunch of mint sets from the last few years, a majority of the D-Mint have a PL look to them. There's a HUGE difference between the look of a P & D Sacagawea for 2018 for example. You don't even need to look at the mint mark to know if it's Denver in most cases. (Source: I've gone through hundreds of them.)

The rocket half I have has very mirror like fields. It's far beyond what I've seen in any other mint set. On the other hand, it'd be one of those that grade out to a 65 or a 66. The reverse is much nicer than the obverse. (I still haven't opened a box of 5 yet...)

As I said over in the Rocketship thread, I think these are just examples of minty-fresh dies.

@Hemispherical said:

@jabba said:

MSPL is now at:
    9@65

Are some just sending these in just to try to get a PL designation?

A 65 would have some noticeable hits. I'm not sure I'd send the one I have in, even with probably PL surfaces...

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Hemispherical said:

MSPL is now at:
    9@65

Are some just sending these in just to try to get a PL designation?

A 65 would have some noticeable hits. I'm not sure I'd send the one I have in, even with probably PL surfaces...

Would be nice to see a TV of these but haven’t seen any.

edited March 22, 2019 5:02PM

There are a lot of reports in other threads about the marks on these 65 doesn’t surprise me looks like they put them in a barrel rolled them from the press to a table then dumped them out and put them in the holders then on top of that the mint shipped them loose against others in a oversized box

@jabba said:
    There are a lot of reports in other threads about the marks on these 65 doesn’t surprise me looks like they put them in a barrel rolled them from the press to a table then dumped them out and put them in the holders then on top of that the mint shipped them loose against others in a oversized box

That is how you are SUPPOSED TO HANDLE business strike coins.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have a feel for sold prices on these aftermarket 2019 Kennedy's in MS66 or 67PL's and numbers graded including NGC? There sure seems to be a lot of demand to get them graded. Are they really selling for $ hundreds?

I can see that for 68's, but these lower pop numbers are going to be up real fast based on what is written here at least.

I think the two I have are probably 66 range but I just can't tell for sure. Fields are real nice but a couple small hits in the hair on both and a nick or two by the shields.

@Goldminers said:
    Does anyone have a feel for sold prices on these aftermarket 2019 Kennedy's in MS66 or 67PL's and numbers graded including NGC? There sure seems to be a lot of demand to get them graded. Are they really selling for $ hundreds?

I can see that for 68's, but these lower pop numbers are going to be up real fast based on what is written here at least.

I think the two I have are probably 66 range but I just can't tell for sure. Fields are real nice but a couple small hits in the hair on both and a nick or two by the shields.

We’ll probably know more in the next few couple weeks. Akbeez had some Bay data posted:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1013770/2019-rocketship-19xgc-currently-unavailable

Thanks Hemi, I meant to ask this on the rocket site. This PL mania seems to show up in several places. Need more coffee.

• mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

The pop's listed are not up to date... More then what is currently showing

• fox9487fox9487 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Hemispherical said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Joe is always a voice of reason to listen to.

Successful Transactions: Coinflip, bp777, firstspousecoins, Akbeez, jmlanzaf, JWP

@jabba said:

& how do you know the "business strikes" were not struck first? The Rocket Ships are just the regular mint rolls/bags strikes that are produced. They were just pulled before hitting a bag or roll is all. Just one step saved and maybe some of better quality.

Successful Transactions: Coinflip, bp777, firstspousecoins, Akbeez, jmlanzaf, JWP

@Goldminers said:

Try going to Ebay and check for sale listings and sold listings. Try the auction houses. Try the google machine. That might answer your question.

Yes, to answer my question they are selling for hundreds and this one below is a 68, with several 69's already being graded. But this info is all on the original Rocket Ship post anyway.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392262410779?_trksid=p2471758.m4703

@Goldminers said:
    Yes, to answer my question they are selling for hundreds and this one below is a 68, with several 69's already being graded. But this info is all on the original Rocket Ship post anyway.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392262410779?_trksid=p2471758.m4703

Then I guess I was just wondering why you were asking the question when you already knew how and where to find the answers. :)

@Goldminers said:
    I was dazed and confused.

In my case I take the prescribed pill at the wrong time or forget to take the correct one at the right time.

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Hemispherical said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Ok having been in aerospace engineering industries for ( God I am old) for 4.5 decades, I will give you my history on manufacturing. The mint is a manufacturing entity. It must operate at a profit ( standard joke "they always make money"). In order to do this, they must produce product in the shortest time available. They cannot let "product" sit on shelves awaiting purchase. Space is a "COST", inventory is a "COST", equipment use is a "COST" especially "down time" for maintenance, product travel ( the actual distance a coin must move to the next process) in manufacturing is a "COST". They need to manufacture product and get it out the door. Short production runs are a money maker. "Rocket" Kennedy coins had a production of 50,000 units so maybe they make 55,000 (1% ) for a defective overage. I would not be surprised that the 5,000 overage is really around 500 units. A one die life here will produce the entire run unless there is a catastrophic failure in the run. The first minting of coins will produce the best coins and lead to lesser detailed minted coins as the dies wear. The coins are then moved to inspection and then to packaging and then to distribution outlets. The presses are quickly broken down and re-set up for the next coin run. This is most likely coins earmarked for general circulation like pennies, nickels, dimes or those explorer coins with a 50,000 limit. This turn around from one stamping should take less time then it takes to have a beer. MINUTES! So when they strike the new mint sets and the new specialties, all will start with new dies and have the ability to be graded in 69 and 70 grades with the possibility of being graded with a Deep Cameo or proof like designation. This too will depend on the surface finish of the raw material being stamped ( the old adage "start with shxt, end with shxt) and striking pressure. When a press is set up , the coin striking requirements are already determined through a "STATISTACAL" process and calculations. The presses must be in production mode 24/7. Look to see how many pennies are minted a year and then divide that by 360 days and then by 24 hours for a hours production run and you will understand production rates. Hope this helps all into the understanding of "PRODUCTION". The big here is remember that they changed the composition of the penny and nickel because it cost more than the face value of the coin to produce.

Kennedys are my quest...

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2019 1:09PM

Here is a quick video of the minting process
    Did you know that the mint keeps the very first coin struck in a "run" and the very last coin?
    How much would you pay for one of these?
    https://binged.it/2TSjWtz

Kennedys are my quest...

@WAYNEAS said:
    Here is a quick video of the minting process
    Did you know that the mint keeps the very first coin struck in a "run" and the very last coin?
    How much would you pay for one of these?
    https://binged.it/2TSjWtz

I made a couple threads on how coins were made awhile back for all those who came here asking if their coins had an error. Tried to explain the process of how coins were made and the difference in an error versus PMD. Used vids from the US Mint and Modern Marvels.

(Older - Modern Marvels)
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1008645/error-vs-post-mint-damage

(Newer - US Mint)
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1008812/making-money-error-vs-pmd

Flag Quote · Agree 1Like LOL

edited March 27, 2019 2:38PM

Let the count down begin!!!! Less than 18 hours to GO!!!!! Limit 2! >:)

Rev up those browsers! :D

(Bumping thread for today's sale.)

Just need four for the kiddos.

No plans on any mods on these. ;)

5 minutes and ## seconds and counting! :p did they lift the restrictions?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file