Home Q & A Forum
Options

Do you think that getting your coins graded substantially increases their value? Is it worth it?

Do you think that getting your coins graded substantially increases their value? Is it worth it?

This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the coin.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

I believe that certainty is more valuable than uncertainty. And a special grade can help pinpoint the value rather that a raw coin with a mystery grade. 👍

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

In a world where highly knowledgeable people trade with other highly knowledgeable people? Probably not.

In the world of internet commerce? Most definitely.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

If it's worth slabbing, not cleaned, recolored etc. if you ever want to get your money out of it, it must be slabbed.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2019 6:12PM

Slabbing almost always improves a coins value...."substantially", well that depends on the coin. If it is a more common, circulated coin, not much. If it is an MS coin, probably.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Case by case basis. In most cases probably yes. Not all cases.

No one would pay more than $2 for a 1984 Jefferson Nickel.
    Pcgs graded ms66fs, would probably get $50-200.

A circulated Morgan unless key date, probably not worth it at all.
    Many lower quality moderns would be a waste

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

I suppose that value is ultimately impacted, but as I see it, getting a coin graded does not increase its inherent value, but does usually increase its marketability.

In other words, an MS65 coin is MS65 whether slabbed or not. Once slabbed, however, it is easier to get MS65 money for it.

But I could be wrong. :*

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

The question really is “when it comes time to sell the coin, whether by the collector or his/her heirs, will having it graded have been worth the cost?” In my opinion, almost any coin with decent eye appeal worth about $200 or more is well worth having graded. Having it slabbed minimizes discussion about the grade and authenticity. For high valued coins, I think having heirs sell an ungraded coin is lunacy (I hope I’m not offending anyone).

Without trying to open a can of worms on a question that was not asked, I believe with many graded coins, it also pays to spend $14.50 to try to get a CAC (collectors are not charged the fee on coins that do not merit the CAC). Having the CAC helps get fairer value and makes the coins easier to sell. Some of us may not like it, but the fact is for many coins there’s a two tier market - one with lower pricing for coins without CAC, and a higher priced market for coins with CAC. One example - $20 Liberty Gold. The most common date is 1904. PCGS MS65 with no CAC typically sell for about $2500 or so, but those with a CAC typically sell for about $3,700 - $4,300 or so. That’s a two tier market. Yes, I agree there are always exceptions.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996