Home U.S. Coin Forum

The QC TrueView thread

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 1, 2023 10:19PM in U.S. Coin Forum

There's been a lot of talk about AT on these forums and Brett has said that dealing with doctors is one of his top priorities.

With all this discussion out there, I thought it would be useful to have a thread on AT / QC coins that PCGS has seen and TrueViewed so we can all get a better feel for what these coins look like.

Post any TrueView that PCGS has graded as QC here for discussion.

Here's an 1831 Capped Bust Half Dollar that I ran across just now. I don't look at CBHs very often and didn't realize it was QC at first but am trying to educate myself.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/34996873

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has been a topic for discussion for the 20+ years I have been on this forum...and it will likely be so for the next 20 years. That being said, educational endeavors are a prime purpose (IMO) of this forum, and this could certainly help members in this area. Cheers, RickO

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o

I like the term QC

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2019 8:37AM

..... so AU detail is not as bad as most think if you can AT it? ;)

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2019 11:52AM

Cant get them all right. Looks good to me.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grip said:
    Cant get them right. Looks good to me.

Totally agree.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

QC coin from the "used to be mine" folder;

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collector, occasional seller

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

This might slab these days compared to what I have seen in late PCGS slabs.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some interesting coins so far. I usually crack them back open and stick them in the dansco again for a later date.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@planetsteve
    Does that have a PL obverse?

Collector, occasional seller

• nk1nknk1nk Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭

original coin posted is sexy imo, I’d gladly own that coin. If that’s in an auction PM me the details if you aren’t bidding on it yourself.

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 91 code is vague.
    I always thought that "questionable color" was not death sentence like altered surfaces, etc...
    Could be NT or AT. We have questions and can't be sure.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    @planetsteve
    Does that have a PL obverse?

Yes. It's pretty cool. I recall reading that many 34-Ds have that characteristic. I bought it in a second-tier slab -- ANACS I think -- thinking it could go FB. Our hosts agreed, but had some other reservations. ;)

Like @erwindoc says, I'm thinking about cracking it out again and putting it back in my unc Merc set.

BTW, cool 1909 VDB! I would never have known there was anything questionable about it.

• LuxorLuxor Posts: 404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Went from an NGC MS62 to a PCGS MS63+ to this.....

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bump

This 1960 Franklin just sold for $150 on a $500 OBO.

Sales price from: https://130point.com/sales/

Any thoughts on this color?

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Bump

I'd call that one not market acceptable. PCGS was right to call it QC. I somewhat like it but not at $150.
    Interestingly enough, the seller has a similar looking Walker (same $500 ask).

@U1chicago that Walker is interesting since it's one sided and has a bit of textile pattern on it.

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2021 9:06PM

@U1chicago said:

@Zoins said:
    Bump

I'd call that one not market acceptable. PCGS was right to call it QC. I somewhat like it but not at $150.
    Interestingly enough, the seller has a similar looking Walker (same $500 ask).

Given the source (along with the Walker) it seems extremely questionable but I honestly won’t be surprised to see that Franklin in a straight graded holder with a five figure sale price in the next couple of years.

• BigJohnDBigJohnD Posts: 329 ✭✭✭

It's an interesting topic. If you don't feel the grade fits, resubmit. I recently made a purchase on the BST of a matte proof penny. It was straight graded and rightfully so. I get the coin and included is the ANACS photograde of uncirculated cleaned details. Was I pissed -- absolutely not -- loved the coin. Retry.

• relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin first came back as QT. Not sure why, you can clearly see it has pull away toning at the date. I resubmitted and it came back 64+.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

@relicsncoins said:
    This coin first came back as QT. Not sure why, you can clearly see it has pull away toning at the date. I resubmitted and it came back 64+.

Is "pull away" toning at the date or date shadow considered bad?

edited April 1, 2023 10:17PM

This QC coin has a mintage of just 600 and sold for $3,480.00.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2023 11:48AM

Sorry, out of all the coins I submitted. Never ONE came back as, "Questionable Color".
    None to post.
    :*
    Here are some of my passable ones.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

• OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even the best get them wrong occasionally. If this is AT then I don't know when it was done (or why, since at the time people wanted bright white). It's looked like this since at least 1970 when it was first plated in Overton's 2nd edition, then again in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th editions.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
    edited April 2, 2023 2:12PM

Keep that in mind some of the QC coin is not trying to get a grade but rather trying to sell for a better price. After all toned details coin sell for better price than details white coin. I toned this coin.

edited April 3, 2023 9:47PM

One of my buyer from China just told me that there is a private toning class offered in China for 8W RMB (80K) about $11764 USD.

edited April 2, 2023 2:23PM

Toned coin sell faster if not higher price.

• bagofnickelsbagofnickels Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭

Here is my only PCGS QC coin. 1967 SMS Kennedy half dollar.

Here is my 1967 SMS Lincoln cent - SP67RB

I saw both of these in a YouTube video from Ben the coin geek. According to him he pulled them from the same set and submitted them together. One got QC and the other straight graded. I really liked the cent but I also found the story interesting and liked the cert numbers being in succession. So I bought them both.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

C’mon @Zoins - you can’t pass up the opportunity to post your reverse AT Morgan!!!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
    edited April 3, 2023 6:56PM

@Catbert said:
    C’mon @Zoins - you can’t pass up the opportunity to post your reverse AT Morgan!!!

Only if you can remember the name for it ;)

Monster-toned Morgans all have names!

• RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really liked the look of this QC Pilgrim.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file