Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Edited, now it's a very abbreviated show report in the later post (and now photos added)

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 4, 2019 8:36AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I have the weekend off, enough points for a free train ticket, and points for a hotel room.

I have no buying agenda, though perhaps a few things to divest of. I'm sure that will not keep me from buying something, but as I'm trying to behave with my budget I'm feeling very virtuous at arranging a cheap trip :smiley:

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few raw coins to submit so my plan is to pop in for a few hours on Friday.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope to make it

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

I expect to be there.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

ME Too...hoping for none of that frozen stuff!

• Options

Anyone who wants to meet up, PM me happy to exchange details.

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be there at table 929 doing my imaging thing.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2019 11:33AM

For all you lucky people attending coin shows and such, don't forget to keep an eye out for some amazing colonial 8 reales ;) What's the standard finder's fee these days? 10%?

• Options

@blu62vette said:

See you there on Thursday.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    For all you lucky people attending coin shows and such, don't forget to keep an eye out for some amazing colonial 8 reales ;) What's the standard finder's fee these days? 10%?

And also Cap & Rays for me...

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we do a Meet/Greet Thur. or Fri. with the
    Forum members?

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zohar said:

@blu62vette said:

Cant we keep threats off the boards?

:)

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tibor said:
    Can we do a Meet/Greet Thur. or Fri. with the
    Forum members?

I nominate @Zohar to coordinate.

@blu62vette said:

@Zohar said:

@blu62vette said:

Cant we keep threats off the boards?

Beware of Mossad agents.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options

I get in Thursday AM. Seems that Friday is an optimal day to gather.

• Options

Sounds good to me too.

• Options
  • Options

My raw coin came in the mail today from last Thursday's World Weekly Auction at Heritage -- pretty impressive shipping time. So I've got my submission together for Friday. Hope to see forum folks noonish to mid-afternoon.

• Options
    edited February 28, 2019 7:48PM

Darn, snow may keep me off the roads on Friday.

• Options

Uh oh. I made it later today but was kind of tired. I bought a book and a jar of pickles so far (and a couple of odds and ends). Too bad I didn't bring my snowshoes for tomorrow...and hopefully the serious looking can start.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Minimal snow, rain by 10 in out part of MD tomorrow.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

Dang! It did snow! Weather forecasts kept going back and forth! From my hotel window it looks like the roads are fine!

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Dang! It did snow! Weather forecasts kept going back and forth! From my hotel window it looks like the roads are fine!

D,
    Hope you have a great show.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options

I saw @EVillageProwler across the room but missed saying hello.

• Options

@Stork said:
    I saw @EVillageProwler across the room but missed saying hello.

Rectified

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭

Had a good show (attended Friday). The crowd was light and had time to talk to a few folks. Finally met @Stork. Also met Zohar. @jgenn and @7jaguars, did either of you make it? I ended up selling a few and bought one. A nice day.

• Options

Thanks...the weather doesn't seem to be helping. Be interesting to see how the attendance is today.

@Yorkshireman said:

@amwldcoin said:

D,
    Hope you have a great show.

• Options

I'll be stopping in a bit to take one more look at a rather large plaque I was eyeballing. Between the books, the jar of pickles, and (if I were to buy it) the dang plaque this will certainly be the HEAVIEST coin show trip ever. I'll be sure to post a review of the pickles once I open them. :D

So no 'real' additions to my main collecting interests, but my sidebar purchasing is off the chain. On the plus side I did divest of a couple things though (a dupe and a cool coin gathering dust as I never went that route, swapped one type of collectible bullion out for another--Britannia to a Saint). Maybe, just maybe, (if I skip the plaque) I will have broken even. Ish.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report. Hope you are feeling better.

• Options
    edited March 3, 2019 12:59PM

Sorry @Stork got sick. It was raining Friday evening when we went out to dinner. The wet and chilly air plus every coin show is like a big petri dish is a recipe for getting a cold.

Here is the seller's image for the Anglo-Saxon penny (SCBC 1151) that Stork bought. A common type with uncommonly nice eye appeal:

Per Victor England, the die style, particularly the obverse, is Viking. Take a look at this Hiberno-Norse Phase III penny:

(Note: I am only talking about the type; the coin is 100% Anglo-Saxon!)

• Options

Great write up and the anglo saxon piece is really appealing!

• Options

Sorry that you got sick. I just got over a cold I got at the last show I attended probably from another dealer 2 tables down from me. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't get it from the snotrag wielding dealer across the isle from me. I was cringing the whole time I was at the show hoping I wouldn't bring another cold home with me.

As always it was nice to see and chat with you again!

• Options
    edited March 4, 2019 9:14AM

Thanks! Just glad it's not the flu. I had some body aches at first but then I remembered I"d used the hotel's elliptical Friday morning. I haven't been on one of those in years :D . We can blame the guy across the aisle from you. I don't remember who it was or if I even stopped there, but why not.

I'm not posting all the coins, but here are my highlights:
    From @amwldcoin a struck through 10 yen. Harder find stuff like this in the more modern coinage, and it had to be on the most difficult date of the reeded edge 10 yens...oh well. I think we mutually agreed to having no idea how to price it.

My own pictures of the coin above (in the other post). Who can't relate to having a bad hair day looking at it? Of course I paid retail, but oh well. It's cool. And after influencing me to buy it, the next stop was to buy 'the book' on some of these. Yes, I am backwards. First, buy a coin. Next, buy the book,. Finally, decide if I want more of the coins. Pretty standard SOP for me.

Next up, another Japanese coin. A local issue from Akita, the 4 momme/6bu (ie smaller) version. I've never bought one or even seen that many. It was a bit of a lark, but the price was reasonable. I did show it to Mike Berry at Stephen Album's table who guessed the guy possibly bought it from them . They are roughly made, but once I got home the weight checks out (off by .05, which is pretty good I imagine in something like this), matched my catalogs well, and matched 'sold' items. Stuff I should look at before buying, but oh well. Again, SOP for me.

And finally, for my Albanian set, sort of. Though I did get an Albanian coin over the weekend (a BIN on eBay Thursday that was delivered Saturday), this was my show purchase. Obviously not Albanian, but right now I'm looking for the Ancients that could have been the inspiration to the Italian mint that produced these. An eagle looking left...and how cool is the detail here? I don't have the focus stacking technique so I compensated using the f-stop setting, which affected the lighting, but overall I'm okay with it.

And the details shamelessly copy and pasted from the seller's email.

Provincial Issue of Seleucis and Pieria. Laodicea Ad Mare, Under Septimius Severus, AD 193-211. AR Tetradrachm. 27mm, 13.65 gr. Prieur 1149. Obv. Laureate and draped bust of Septimius right. Rev. Eagle holding wreath in its beak and looking left, star below. NGC Ch. AU 5/5, 5/5, Fine Style
    ex. @Zohar

and with the partner Albanian:

• Options

Cathy - I believe you have the wrong obverse on last one.

• Options

@Zohar said:

I will plead brain farts with my congested head but I'm not sure what you mean.

The last shot is two reverses side by side--the ancient next to the Albanian.

• Options
    edited March 4, 2019 9:10AM

Hmmm....retail? I sold it to you for 2/3's of KM unless it has changed! B)

• Options
    edited March 4, 2019 9:15AM

@amwldcoin said:
    Hmmm....retail? I sold it to you for 2/3's of KM unless it has changed! B)

For retail I was talking about the Anglo-Saxon.

You gave me a great price, I just had no idea how to price it as an error. Plus I don't look at KM. I look at JNDA and make guess :smiley:

Edited to add, I edited the post to make it more clear when I said 'coin above' I meant in the above POST, not the above picture. That was confusing.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a great enjoyable report to read.
    I have never seen such a realistic portrait of Septemius Severus!
    That is a beautiful (hefty :D ) ancient

• Options

@Stork said:

@Zohar said:

I will plead brain farts with my congested head but I'm not sure what you mean.

The last shot is two reverses side by side--the ancient next to the Albanian.

My mistake, I completely missed that! Beautiful!

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

My motto: Buy the coin. Then buy 5-10 books. Then buy 50-100 more coins!

The first coin is to get you excited/interested.

• Options

@pruebas said:

That's exactly it!

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stork - really like the ancients next to the modern! Anyone else have other examples like that?

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

It’s like dating before marriage. An important step.