Religious innuendos or sayings in sports

1970s1970s Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭✭

Johnny Damon..........(after he left Boston for NY)

Looks like Jesus
Acts like Judas
Throws like Mary

Comments

  • 1970s1970s Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭✭

    This is actually a true story told by Tim Tebow and not me.

    Tim Tebow used to write Phillipians 4-19 on his black eye tape during his senior year at Florida.

    For the national championship game he changed it to John 3:16. They beat Alabama.

    Three years to the day after beating Alabama for the national championship, Denver played a home playoff game against the Steelers. They won in overtime. The following week they lost at New England.

    In that home game against Pittsburgh, Tim Tebow threw for 316 yards. His yards per completion for that game were 31.6. His yards per rush average in that game was 3.16.

  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 18,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2019 2:38PM

    Touchdown Jesus at Notre Dame

    Holy Cow Harry Caray

    m

    Walker Proof Digital Album





    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 18,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Damn I just realized I spelled Harry Caray wrong and my edit button has disappeared :s :o

    m

    Walker Proof Digital Album





    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭

    How about that ole song by kate Smith 7th inning stretch

    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The "Hail Mary" in football.


    All Dimes All Varieties

    Coins for sale

    Canadian Dimes Set


    Washington Quarters All Varieties 32-64


    >RIP -image Rebecca 2004-2018...If love could have saved you - you would have lived forever<
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 27,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The Immaculate Reception



    Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭✭

    @grote15 said:
    The Immaculate Reception

    Was that when God threw the ten commandments at Moses?

    Collecting: Patrick Mahomes rookie cards, the next great NFL quarterback.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 27,026 ✭✭✭✭✭



    Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • AC000000AC000000 Posts: 142 ✭✭

    The Holy Roller.

  • stevekstevek Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Reggie White was known as the Minister of Defense.

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 18,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I understand this thread is not what I’m referring to but I’m just going to throw it out there that I cannot stand it when players thank God or Jesus for good performance or winning ect.. it sounds so ridiculous.

  • countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 622 ✭✭✭✭

    Miracle on Ice
    Hank "The Hebrew Hammer" Greenberg
    Elwin Charles "Preacher" Roe
    The Four Horsemen of Notre Dame (the Apocalypse)

  • countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 622 ✭✭✭✭

    Music City Miracle
    Yankee Stadium: Baseball's Cathedral
    Sunday Silence

  • countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 622 ✭✭✭✭

    Spahn and Sain, and pray for rain.

  • countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 622 ✭✭✭✭

    Amen Corner at Augusta National

  • 1970s1970s Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭✭

    This was a popular bumper sticker in the Philadelphia area back in the 1970s.

    There was a bumper sticker in Boston that had this saying.............

  • 1970s1970s Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭✭

    Goalie Carey Price of the Montreal Canadians has PSALM 91 inscribed on the back of the mask he is using right now.
    It's interesting because NHL rules allow goalies to use most forms of expression they want on their masks. I don't
    believe any other professional sport would allow this under their uniform rules, except perhaps NASCAR. I wonder if
    Price had to check with the NHL before doing this. If he did, then the NHL obviously approved.

  • countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 622 ✭✭✭✭

    A description of what would appear to be an overwhelming mismatch between opponents will often mention David vs Goliath.

  • stevekstevek Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

    New Jersey Devils

  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @1970s said:
    Goalie Carey Price of the Montreal Canadians has PSALM 91 inscribed on the back of the mask he is using right now.
    It's interesting because NHL rules allow goalies to use most forms of expression they want on their masks. I don't
    believe any other professional sport would allow this under their uniform rules, except perhaps NASCAR. I wonder if
    Price had to check with the NHL before doing this. If he did, then the NHL obviously approved.

    Cheesie!

  • countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 622 ✭✭✭✭

    If you're of a certain age, or watch a lot of classic games across various sports from the late 70s to mid 80s, you may recall a guy that would quite often show up in camera view like an O.G. Marlins Man, with a rainbow colored wig on rather than the bright orange Marlins getup, and holding up a sign with "John 3:16" on it, spreading the message to all the world.

  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Mose Solomon

    "The Rabbi of Swat"

  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Coinstartled said:
    Mose Solomon

    "The Rabbi of Swat"

    dumbest thing I ever heard :D

  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @countdouglas said:
    Amen Corner at Augusta National

    Jesus' name is uttered often at Augusta.

  • stevekstevek Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

  • DarinDarin Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭✭

    Grote- I knew what the immaculate reception was.

    Just wondering where it refers to it in the Bible.LOL.
    Yes, yes, immaculate conception. Not exactly the same.

    Collecting: Patrick Mahomes rookie cards, the next great NFL quarterback.
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Madison Square Garden is often referred to as the ‘Mecca of Basketball’ though not all realize that is a religious reference when it is uttered. Most will recognize it as a religious reference when in print.

    And since I haven’t seen it...

    Los Angeles Angels
    New Jersey Devils

    and...

    Jesus Shuttlesworth

    Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

  • 1970s1970s Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭✭

    @perkdog said:
    I understand this thread is not what I’m referring to but I’m just going to throw it out there that I cannot stand it when players thank God or Jesus for good performance or winning ect.. it sounds so ridiculous.

    How about when athletes thank mom and dad ? That actually has slowed down a lot. If people remember the 70's, it happened all the time. Even during All Star game introductions, every player used to mouth "hi mom". Now everyone thanks their team mates.

  • 1970s1970s Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭✭

    Hall of famer, and 2nd greatest 3rd baseman of all time Mike Schmidt weighed in on what it
    was like in the 70's for him.

    https://www.christianpost.com/news/mlb-hall-of-famer-mike-schmidt-christian-players-stigmatized-when-he-played.html

    Could this thread turn into Schmidt vs. Brett - Round 3.

  • ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

    God Shammgod.

    Oh wait, that's not a religious reference. That's just his name.

    Andy

  • stevekstevek Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @1970s said:
    Hall of famer, and 2nd greatest 3rd baseman of all time Mike Schmidt weighed in on what it
    was like in the 70's for him.

    https://www.christianpost.com/news/mlb-hall-of-famer-mike-schmidt-christian-players-stigmatized-when-he-played.html

    Could this thread turn into Schmidt vs. Brett - Round 3.

    Wasn't George Brett a devil worshiper who conducted the slaughtering of puppies and kittens in various types of satanic rituals?

  • 1970s1970s Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2019 9:11AM

    @stevek said:

    @1970s said:
    Hall of famer, and 2nd greatest 3rd baseman of all time Mike Schmidt weighed in on what it
    was like in the 70's for him.

    https://www.christianpost.com/news/mlb-hall-of-famer-mike-schmidt-christian-players-stigmatized-when-he-played.html

    Could this thread turn into Schmidt vs. Brett - Round 3.

    Wasn't George Brett a devil worshiper who conducted the slaughtering of puppies and kittens in various types of satanic rituals?

    He also played lead guitar for Black Sabbath and was recruited by the Manson clan while still a teenager in California.

  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @1970s said:

    @perkdog said:
    I understand this thread is not what I’m referring to but I’m just going to throw it out there that I cannot stand it when players thank God or Jesus for good performance or winning ect.. it sounds so ridiculous.

    How about when athletes thank mom and dad ? That actually has slowed down a lot. If people remember the 70's, it happened all the time. Even during All Star game introductions, every player used to mouth "hi mom". Now everyone thanks their team mates.

    everyone is from a broken family now :D :D

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 18,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @1970s said:

    @perkdog said:
    I understand this thread is not what I’m referring to but I’m just going to throw it out there that I cannot stand it when players thank God or Jesus for good performance or winning ect.. it sounds so ridiculous.

    How about when athletes thank mom and dad ? That actually has slowed down a lot. If people remember the 70's, it happened all the time. Even during All Star game introductions, every player used to mouth "hi mom". Now everyone thanks their team mates.

    I actually forgot about the “Hi Mom” but yea id rather these guys Thank their grandmother that raised them or family than “God or Jesus”. It sounds so ridiculous I can’t stand it.

  • countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 622 ✭✭✭✭

    Yankees announcer Bob Sheppard was known as The Voice of God.

  • BrickBrick Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭✭

    Many years ago the Hispanic players would make the sign of the cross before they stepped into the batters box.

    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

    Ralph

  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 18,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019 8:15AM

    @perkdog said:

    @1970s said:

    @perkdog said:
    I understand this thread is not what I’m referring to but I’m just going to throw it out there that I cannot stand it when players thank God or Jesus for good performance or winning ect.. it sounds so ridiculous.

    How about when athletes thank mom and dad ? That actually has slowed down a lot. If people remember the 70's, it happened all the time. Even during All Star game introductions, every player used to mouth "hi mom". Now everyone thanks their team mates.

    I actually forgot about the “Hi Mom” but yea id rather these guys Thank their grandmother that raised them or family than “God or Jesus”. It sounds so ridiculous I can’t stand it.

    It’s actually one of the reasons I never took a shine to Tim Tebow. It was a turnoff. Same with Dabo Swinney after Clemson- Alabama game. Too much

    m

    Walker Proof Digital Album





    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • DarinDarin Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭✭

    You guys really should leave the comments about thanking God alone.
    If their religious beliefs are that strong then fine. A lot of them that thank God were
    probably up on stage at the NFL honors program having been nominated for the Walter Payton award.

    Collecting: Patrick Mahomes rookie cards, the next great NFL quarterback.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 18,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Darin said:
    You guys really should leave the comments about thanking God alone.
    If their religious beliefs are that strong then fine. A lot of them that thank God were
    probably up on stage at the NFL honors program having been nominated for the Walter Payton award.

    Don’t mind it once in the interview. Repeatedly not so much

    m

    Walker Proof Digital Album





    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 18,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Darin said:
    You guys really should leave the comments about thanking God alone.
    If their religious beliefs are that strong then fine. A lot of them that thank God were
    probably up on stage at the NFL honors program having been nominated for the Walter Payton award.

    I have absolutely no problem with anyone’s religious beliefs but I also don’t care what anyone says or thinks about God and Sports, i feel it’s stupid to think that “God or Jesus” has anything to do with the outcome of a sporting event.

  • stevekstevek Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @perkdog said:

    @Darin said:
    You guys really should leave the comments about thanking God alone.
    If their religious beliefs are that strong then fine. A lot of them that thank God were
    probably up on stage at the NFL honors program having been nominated for the Walter Payton award.

    I have absolutely no problem with anyone’s religious beliefs but I also don’t care what anyone says or thinks about God and Sports, i feel it’s stupid to think that “God or Jesus” has anything to do with the outcome of a sporting event.

    Depends on how much money he has on it.


    Come on...nobody get upset...it's only a joke. :|

  • BrickBrick Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭✭

    I lost a golf match one time to a Pastor of a local church. After the match he told the Head Pro the Lord helped him stay calm in tough situations. He was DQed for having outside help. :D

    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

    Ralph

  • 1970s1970s Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭✭

    @perkdog said:

    @Darin said:
    You guys really should leave the comments about thanking God alone.
    If their religious beliefs are that strong then fine. A lot of them that thank God were
    probably up on stage at the NFL honors program having been nominated for the Walter Payton award.

    I have absolutely no problem with anyone’s religious beliefs but I also don’t care what anyone says or thinks about God and Sports, i feel it’s stupid to think that “God or Jesus” has anything to do with the outcome of a sporting event.

    Let me propose this. I too think it's silly to think that God (if you believe in one) has anything to do with sporting events. That to me is just plain silly.

    Having said that, if an athlete wants to thank their parents, their former coaches, their wives and children, or anyone else who has had a significant impact on their playing careers, then I'm not only all for it, but think it's admirable.

    If there are athletes that have a personal relationship with God the same way they have a personal relationship with family, then I have no problem when they thank Jesus for the impact Jesus had on their lives, and how Jesus helped them become the player they've become.

    If they want to point to heaven and thank the Lord for all their blessings, I'm cool with it. If they want to point to the stands and thank the owner of the team, I'm cool with it. If Jim Craig wants to look for his dad in the stands after winning the gold, I'm cool with it.

    The more gratitude athletes show towards family and God, I'm all for it.
    The more athletes want to have the focus of attention on themselves with their touchdown antics and other things, well, that's another subject.

  • 1970s1970s Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019 11:57AM

    @Justacommeman said:

    @perkdog said:

    @1970s said:

    @perkdog said:
    I understand this thread is not what I’m referring to but I’m just going to throw it out there that I cannot stand it when players thank God or Jesus for good performance or winning ect.. it sounds so ridiculous.

    How about when athletes thank mom and dad ? That actually has slowed down a lot. If people remember the 70's, it happened all the time. Even during All Star game introductions, every player used to mouth "hi mom". Now everyone thanks their team mates.

    I actually forgot about the “Hi Mom” but yea id rather these guys Thank their grandmother that raised them or family than “God or Jesus”. It sounds so ridiculous I can’t stand it.

    It’s actually one of the reasons I never took a shine to Tim Tebow. It was a turnoff. Same with Dabo Swinney after Clemson- Alabama game. Too much

    m

    Again, if Tim Tebow knows Jesus Christ the same way he knows his own mother, why do you find it offensive that he takes the time to thank him ? Would you be turned off if every time Tim had a chance in front of the camera he would say "thank you mom and dad!" ?

    I'm not trying to prove you wrong, I'm just trying to figure out why you're so turned off
    by it. Why can't a professional athlete thank his God the same way he can thank his parents ?

    Not trying to win an argument either. Just trying to understand
    your point of view. When it comes to religion and politics, I know how offended some can get, so trust me, I'm not going there the way I did in the Brett-Schmidt debate.

    I leave most of this stuff totally alone, and for good reason.

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 18,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019 12:38PM

    @1970s said:

    @Justacommeman said:

    @perkdog said:

    @1970s said:

    @perkdog said:
    I understand this thread is not what I’m referring to but I’m just going to throw it out there that I cannot stand it when players thank God or Jesus for good performance or winning ect.. it sounds so ridiculous.

    How about when athletes thank mom and dad ? That actually has slowed down a lot. If people remember the 70's, it happened all the time. Even during All Star game introductions, every player used to mouth "hi mom". Now everyone thanks their team mates.

    I actually forgot about the “Hi Mom” but yea id rather these guys Thank their grandmother that raised them or family than “God or Jesus”. It sounds so ridiculous I can’t stand it.

    It’s actually one of the reasons I never took a shine to Tim Tebow. It was a turnoff. Same with Dabo Swinney after Clemson- Alabama game. Too much

    m

    Again, if Tim Tebow knows Jesus Christ the same way he knows his own mother, why do you find it offensive that he takes the time to thank him ? Would you be turned off if every time Tim had a chance in front of the camera he would say "thank you mom and dad!" ?

    I'm not trying to prove you wrong, I'm just trying to figure out why you're so turned off
    by it. Why can't a professional athlete thank his God the same way he can thank his parents ?

    What is wrong with that ? Not trying to win an argument either. Just trying to understand
    your point of view. When it comes to religion and politics, I know how offended some can get, so trust me, I'm not going there the way I did in the Brett-Schmidt debate.

    I leave most of this stuff totally alone, and for good reason.

    Speaking for myself here I don’t think this is such a taboo subject where it’s going to turn into a combat zone here like the Kap thread, it’s an interesting topic and I’ve stated my views. Thanking family members that worked several jobs to put sporto through school or took him in when his parents went to jail or OD’ed is something that actually physically happened and is deserved of a genuine appreciation when an athlete makes it. Religion is more of an invisible factor and is left to individuals to interpret themselves, if someone wants to thank God or Jesus for making themselves strong through trials of life and upbringing then sure that’s fine but that’s where I draw the line as far as that stuff goes. Either way I’d rather a player praise god or Jesus than kneel in defiance of our flag and disrespect Law Enforcement

  • 1970s1970s Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭✭

    You hit the nail on the head once again Perk, and that's why so many here appreciate reading what you have to contribute.

    When you said "religion is more of an invisible factor".

    For Tim, Dabo and many others, religion/faith is a personal relationship with an invisible God, who became visible. Like the song amazing grace says, "I once was lost, but now I'm found, was blind, but now, I see."

    I appreciate everyone's comments on the subject, and like Perk said, I'd much rather see athletes show appreciation for those who made an impact on their lives then some of the other things they are doing. I just think it shows gratitude and humility when an athlete gives thanks for the millions of dollars he or she is making, and I think that is a great thing for the game. Not enough people today give thanks for anything. They just complain and feel entitled, and when they don't get what they want, they complain some more. Imagine if everyone thanked a police officer for coming to the scene. Imagine if everyone thanked a teacher, a doctor, a nurse, a firefighter.

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 18,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @1970’s Thank You for the nice words, there are many things for us working class folk to get annoyed with when it comes to these professional athletes but at the end of the day this subject is small beans compared to the many other things that most of us just shake our head at.

  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 18,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It is a great country where one can self express themselves freely regardless who is bothered by it. No one person gets to draw the lines. Someone wants to kneel fine. Thank Jesus fine. Thank mom and dad fine. Do I have to like it? Nope

    m

    Walker Proof Digital Album





    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 18,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It will be a great day when we can leave race, religion and politics out of games that adults play to entertain all of us 🍻

  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 18,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019 2:51PM

    @perkdog said:
    It will be a great day when we can leave race, religion and politics out of games that adults play to entertain all of us 🍻

    It would be just as cool if we dropped politics, race and religion out of the sports forum altogether

    m

    Walker Proof Digital Album





    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
Sign In or Register to comment.