Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Micro-Numismatics Quiz #21 ANSWERED

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 24, 2019 11:26AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Sorry, no prizes :(

I am going to be posting micrographs of anything that can be found on coins. Some will be easy and some will not. The correct answer is whatever I say it is :p but feel free to disagree (giving your reason) so all of us can discuss it. Images will be posted in this thread at my discretion - several each week. I will usually post the answers late the next day after the quiz was posted.

In order to make this FUN for beginners. I'll ask the "experts" to PLEASE not guess what any of the images are until the next day. Otherwise, folks like (fill in the blank) will get all of them immediately - That's NO FUN. If no correct answer is given by the next day, the "experts" should PLEASE respond. The answer for each image will usually be posted in the afternoon when I add another image.

The Rules:

1.Anyone can guess. That's because even an incorrect guess can open further discussion as to why it is incorrect.
2.The BEST guess is in two parts:

A. What characteristic the image shows.
B. What did you see in the image that led to your guess.

The Question: There are two colors on this medal. One I'll call silver-gray and the other I'll call reddish copper. What is going on with this piece. Can you guess what was done to the surface to achieve this effect?

Comments

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tobacco stain? I don't have a clue on this one.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver plating chipped away? revealing copper core

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    Silver plating chipped away? revealing copper core

Agree. Looks like some kind of coating or plating that has chipped or flaked off the surface thus exposing what appears to be a copper core.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

A straight edge on a coin?

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Verdigris on a copper coin.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

An improperly prepared planchette causing gas bubbles to be created. An area chipped off revealing the base material. Not sure if is actually copper or some type of metal that is corroding.

And looks like some veterans have jumped the gun!!!

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• Options
    DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

In addition looks like no value is added to this piece.

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2019 11:27AM

The experts answered early. This is a counterfeit medal that was plated. The core is copper. Some of the time, a plated piece will have lots of raised pimples as this one does.

What I wished someone would have pointed out was there were TWO LAYERS. You can see the copper part is not at the same level as the gray surface.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file