Ideas to improve PCGS Set Registry

Comments

  • ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

    Encourage set owners to picture their coins.
    Maybe a medal/award for 100% True-View?

  • PQueuePQueue Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

    Get the For Sale posts off & over to BST.

  • mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

    Have weights for types within type sets. Example: different weights for the 1854-D. 1854-O, or 1854 three dollar in gold type sets. That way the rarity of the coin would be considered in the type set instead of just the quality of the coin.

    Which is the more desirable type coin for $3

  • @mrcommem said:
    Have weights for types within type sets. Example: different weights for the 1854-D. 1854-O, or 1854 three dollar in gold type sets. That way the rarity of the coin would be considered in the type set instead of just the quality of the coin.

    PCGS could consider offering Advanced Type or Advanced Date Sets which would include all date and mintmark weightings for those collectors not financially ready to pursue full date and mintmark sets.

  • LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

    I spend the majority of my forum time in the U.S. Coins and have only recently begun creating various sets and uploading certs and pictures. I like some aspects of the registry sets but I would recommend creating more customization into sets.

    1. Denomination by mint mark. For example and entire Seated Liberty Half Dollar set comprised of only San Francisco mint marks.
    2. Extending that further, denomination by mint mark that would allow me to assemble San Francisco mint mark half dollars across all half dollars; seated, barber, walking liberty, etc.
    3. A set comprised of all the modern reverse proofs.
    4. A set compromised of only burnished platinum eagles.
    5. A set compromised of only burnished gold eagles.
    6. A set compromised of only burnished silver eagles.
    7. Custom sets that would allow me to use other TPGS coins or even raw coins. Granted a set such wouldn't be eligible for registry competition but my favorite aspect of the registry sets is the digital album and seeing a completed set. Who knows, maybe create a hybrids set registry where you can use other TPGS for set competitions? I thought the showcases set would be the closest to this idea but it only allows PCGS items. I happen to like the coins I have in non-PCGS slabs and don't see a need to cross them over just to complete a set, and that's assuming they cross.

    I am still learning the set registry ins and outs so if what I have suggested is already an option please disregard.

  • ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

    How do I turn off that blue, side menu bar that keeps popping up.
    It locks the screen until it refreshes and it's driving me nuts.
    Everything would be faster without it.

  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 6,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ReadyFireAim said:
    Post them here.

    Just realized. What is the “A” in PCGA in the OP title? Typo?

    @ReadyFireAim said:
    How do I turn off that blue, side menu bar that keeps popping up.
    It locks the screen until it refreshes and it's driving me nuts.
    Everything would be faster without it.

    Are you using the App, computer/laptop or accessing via a smart phone’s browser? Trying to find what you are talking about.

  • ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

    @Hemispherical said:
    Just realized. What is the “A” in PCGA in the OP title? Typo?

    Can't believe I flaked on that one...Fixed...Thanks.

    @Hemispherical said:
    Are you using the App, computer/laptop or... Trying to find what you are talking about.

    It's my PC at work, everything fine on my MAC at home.

  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 6,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ReadyFireAim said:
    It's my PC at work, everything fine on my MAC at home.

    If its the one with Achievements, Activity, Preferences, etc., I click the “X” button to close the menu. Using Chrome.

  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 6,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Bug in registry and reported.

    FYI. There’s a bug when trying to access the “My Medals” from the dashboard. Receiving the, “Oops! Errors Happen.”

    Reported to “setregistry” and they have notified their IT.

    Just passing it along.

  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 19,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @LJenkins11 said:
    I spend the majority of my forum time in the U.S. Coins and have only recently begun creating various sets and uploading certs and pictures. I like some aspects of the registry sets but I would recommend creating more customization into sets.

    1. Denomination by mint mark. For example and entire Seated Liberty Half Dollar set comprised of only San Francisco mint marks.
    2. Extending that further, denomination by mint mark that would allow me to assemble San Francisco mint mark half dollars across all half dollars; seated, barber, walking liberty, etc.
    3. A set comprised of all the modern reverse proofs.
    4. A set compromised of only burnished platinum eagles.
    5. A set compromised of only burnished gold eagles.
    6. A set compromised of only burnished silver eagles.
    7. Custom sets that would allow me to use other TPGS coins or even raw coins. Granted a set such wouldn't be eligible for registry competition but my favorite aspect of the registry sets is the digital album and seeing a completed set. Who knows, maybe create a hybrids set registry where you can use other TPGS for set competitions? I thought the showcases set would be the closest to this idea but it only allows PCGS items. I happen to like the coins I have in non-PCGS slabs and don't see a need to cross them over just to complete a set, and that's assuming they cross.

    I am still learning the set registry ins and outs so if what I have suggested is already an option please disregard.

    They have Mint Mark sets now.


    All Dimes All Varieties

    Coins for sale

    Canadian Dimes Set


    Washington Quarters All Varieties 32-64


    >RIP -image Rebecca 2004-2018...If love could have saved you - you would have lived forever<
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 18,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Make it so videos can be posted for the individual coins

  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Clean up the minor issues with the Lincoln series…for consistency mostly.

    The Lincoln variety sets have 2 1909 VDB Double dies. And for some reason the second is listed as a 1901 VDB.

    There is a real problem with the 1964 Special Mint set addition to the variety sets. I think most collectors can agree that it can be in the variety sets requiring proofs but for some strange reason its listed with the business strikes in the Lincoln variety series from 1909 to date with Proofs in the non-proof listings – while the other 3 SMS (65-67) cents are listed with the proofs.

    The 1964 SMS is not even listed in the 1909 to date proofs with varieties, or in the 1950 to date proofs with varieties.

    Yet the 1964 SMS in listed in the business strike variety sets for 1909 to present, 1959 to present and 1959 to 2008 even though no proofs are required in these sets.

    It should be listed ONLY in the variety sets that require PROOFS and not in sets that have only business strikes. (And next to the other 3 SMS coins).

    I would like to see one additional set added to the Lincoln series a 1909 – date that covers all the different finishes. Just one representative coin each so in other words – one Matte Proof Lincoln, a business strike wheat, a 36 satin, a Brilliant wheat proof, a 1943 steel, a business strike memorial, a brilliant memorial proof, a SMS, A Zincoln, a 2005 -2010 satin, recent reverse proof, etc. – you get the idea.

    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 6,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @tradedollarnut said:
    Make it so videos can be posted for the individual coins

    Back in Sep 2017 PCGS had posted VideoView for comments. No idea what came of it.

  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 19,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @WaterSport said:
    Clean up the minor issues with the Lincoln series…for consistency mostly.

    The Lincoln variety sets have 2 1909 VDB Double dies. And for some reason the second is listed as a 1901 VDB.

    There is a real problem with the 1964 Special Mint set addition to the variety sets. I think most collectors can agree that it can be in the variety sets requiring proofs but for some strange reason its listed with the business strikes in the Lincoln variety series from 1909 to date with Proofs in the non-proof listings – while the other 3 SMS (65-67) cents are listed with the proofs.

    The 1964 SMS is not even listed in the 1909 to date proofs with varieties, or in the 1950 to date proofs with varieties.

    Yet the 1964 SMS in listed in the business strike variety sets for 1909 to present, 1959 to present and 1959 to 2008 even though no proofs are required in these sets.

    It should be listed ONLY in the variety sets that require PROOFS and not in sets that have only business strikes. (And next to the other 3 SMS coins).

    I would like to see one additional set added to the Lincoln series a 1909 – date that covers all the different finishes. Just one representative coin each so in other words – one Matte Proof Lincoln, a business strike wheat, a 36 satin, a Brilliant wheat proof, a 1943 steel, a business strike memorial, a brilliant memorial proof, a SMS, A Zincoln, a 2005 -2010 satin, recent reverse proof, etc. – you get the idea.

    I would like the 1964 SMS taken out of the Roosie variety set also! It has no business in the MS sets!


    All Dimes All Varieties

    Coins for sale

    Canadian Dimes Set


    Washington Quarters All Varieties 32-64


    >RIP -image Rebecca 2004-2018...If love could have saved you - you would have lived forever<
  • LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

    This thread has valid ideas, exactly how do these get tabled to PCGS or consideration? Are we simply waiting for a PCGS rep to read this thread or do such ideas require direct correspondence to another email/thread? If so, to whom?

  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Could use some more viewing from other sets/series collectors to add their comments. I can not believe other sets do not have issues.

    WS

    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The "What if" fearure on the app.

    On the old desktop version you used to be able to simply select a coin and a grade from a list to see how it affected your set.

    Now you need a cert number or bar scan a cert.

    I have to search for a slabbed example of what I'm curious about and borrow the cert number for a minute.

    Far less handy imho.

    "If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

    My meager Washington Quarter Registry set

  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 15,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2019 5:56AM

    Four suggestions:

    1. Permit users to leave comments on showcases.
    2. Score problem coins at some level that is more in line with the fact that they aren't as unloved as a 1 point score would indicate.
    3. Permit users to override coin diameters so that coins of unknown diameter (currently represented as 0 mm) and error coins show up correctly in digital albums.
    4. Add the means to add a receipt image, auction link, or other supporting purchase price documentation into the "private" part of a coin's entry.
  • LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

    Display the mint mark next to the date in digital albums for both registry sets and showcases. I do not yet have a branch mint only set but in my seated liberty half dollar set all it shows are the dates and grade and no mention of the mint marks unless you look at the uploaded picture.

  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2019 8:30AM

    In all the registry sets there are 4 columns of populations:
    PCGS# POP
    PCGS# POP HIGHER
    PCGS POP
    PCGS POP HIGHER

    It seems like there may be a database formula glitch in some of these numbers or maybe I just don't understand how they are defined. This is for basically all sets.

    Checking a Top 100 Modern Coins Set for example:

    The 1999-W $10 eagle unfinished proof dies MS PCGS coin #99942 that has a MS69, it shows 1,468 with 17 higher in both columns. For the base coin pops these seem to be the correct numbers, but for the coin including varieties If you go to CoinFacts and the population report for the #99942 it shows 1,545 MS69's and 23 MS70's.

    Should the last two pop columns include all the varieties in the pop numbers for that coin? Otherwise it just seems like it is not any different than the first two columns.

  • EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭

    Allow coins in old holder that are misattributed to be added to the registry sets. Foe example, I have a 1830 small 10 dime that's in an OGH that I can't add to my set. I prefer keeping the coin in the older holder than adding it to my set. I would pay a fee to PCGS so they can allow me to add to my set. I have many coins like that and its costing me registry points.

    Easton Collection
  • LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭

    I have a suggestion for the app:

    It would be nice if when you turn your phone or iPad to landscape, it would rotate the screen and show more columns. I find that I want to see more than just the set name and percent complete when browsing sets. It would be nice if you could see the GPA.

    David

  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 19,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @EastonCollection said:
    Allow coins in old holder that are misattributed to be added to the registry sets. Foe example, I have a 1830 small 10 dime that's in an OGH that I can't add to my set. I prefer keeping the coin in the older holder than adding it to my set. I would pay a fee to PCGS so they can allow me to add to my set. I have many coins like that and its costing me registry points.

    Why can't you add it to your sets?


    All Dimes All Varieties

    Coins for sale

    Canadian Dimes Set


    Washington Quarters All Varieties 32-64


    >RIP -image Rebecca 2004-2018...If love could have saved you - you would have lived forever<
  • EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭

    @DIMEMAN said:

    @EastonCollection said:
    Allow coins in old holder that are misattributed to be added to the registry sets. Foe example, I have a 1830 small 10 dime that's in an OGH that I can't add to my set. I prefer keeping the coin in the older holder than adding it to my set. I would pay a fee to PCGS so they can allow me to add to my set. I have many coins like that and its costing me registry points.

    Why can't you add it to your sets?

    Hey Dimeman,
    It seems to me that pcgs coin number isn't coded to the small 10 so I can't add it to the set. What I did is add the picture of the coin to the set but I don't get the registry points. Oh well. I rather keep the OGH

    Easton Collection
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 19,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @EastonCollection said:

    @DIMEMAN said:

    @EastonCollection said:
    Allow coins in old holder that are misattributed to be added to the registry sets. Foe example, I have a 1830 small 10 dime that's in an OGH that I can't add to my set. I prefer keeping the coin in the older holder than adding it to my set. I would pay a fee to PCGS so they can allow me to add to my set. I have many coins like that and its costing me registry points.

    Why can't you add it to your sets?

    Hey Dimeman,
    It seems to me that pcgs coin number isn't coded to the small 10 so I can't add it to the set. What I did is add the picture of the coin to the set but I don't get the registry points. Oh well. I rather keep the OGH

    What kind of set are you try to add it to.....basic.....major var...….complete by JR # ?

    What does the label say?


    All Dimes All Varieties

    Coins for sale

    Canadian Dimes Set


    Washington Quarters All Varieties 32-64


    >RIP -image Rebecca 2004-2018...If love could have saved you - you would have lived forever<
  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭✭

    @EastonCollection said:

    @DIMEMAN said:

    @EastonCollection said:
    Allow coins in old holder that are misattributed to be added to the registry sets. Foe example, I have a 1830 small 10 dime that's in an OGH that I can't add to my set. I prefer keeping the coin in the older holder than adding it to my set. I would pay a fee to PCGS so they can allow me to add to my set. I have many coins like that and its costing me registry points.

    Why can't you add it to your sets?

    Hey Dimeman,
    It seems to me that pcgs coin number isn't coded to the small 10 so I can't add it to the set. What I did is add the picture of the coin to the set but I don't get the registry points. Oh well. I rather keep the OGH

    Did you already try going to edit in your registry set to the red link "report a cert that should match this composite?. If it is a valid certificate I am pretty sure they will add it to the set. I do this all the time when certificates for coins that belong in sets are not there with good success. The registry folks are all very helpful, but busy. Give them several days to answer.

    If the cert for the coin is incorrectly labelled, that would be a problem and might require sending it in and lose the OGH..

  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭✭

    Please add this book of medals to the Set registry and PCGS grading criteria for grading medals and tokens.

    There are a lot of very nice historical medals that I would like to send in for grading that are in this reference book, including the 1962 Seattle World's fair set of official silver medals.

    https://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n44a04.html
    https://www.pcgs.com/tokensandmedals

  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭✭

    Include medals in the " yearly best of reward", if they are not included already.

  • ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

    Being able to make a list of the coins you want by certification number & getting a notice when they come up for sale.

Sign In or Register to comment.